How do you record your diabetes?

kfilm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Banana's
DAFNE Diary, really helps me, plus a highlighter pen to highlight lows and highs.

Reactions: 2 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Rapid Calc app is excellent, don't bother with paper diaries as they are a waste of time. Use the app to look at you averages, etc, and make appropriate insulin adjustments.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm struggling with my control at the moment! I'm type 1 and have been for 18 years this June! Never had the best control but really want to change that and reading through this site has given me some confidence! But where to start? How do you record your sugars which is the best way? Book, on a spreadsheet, use an app?? Any advise on helping me gain control will be much appreciated
As a type 1 diabetic, the best course to improve your knowledge and management is ASK YOUR DSN/CONSULTANT to be put on the next DAFNE course. You'll learn more than you thought you knew, how to carb count and work out your insulin ratios and to adjust the ratios for activities/illness and much much more. Get yourself on the DAFNE ASAP. It turned me around and also sorted out my insulins. Better HBA!c to boot.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse the results but I have a little book like this.
Got quite a few of them, if I even run out I just ring the number on the back and they send a few out. I never really look back at results unless there is a problem but I prefer tor record everything.
This diary is good as I used these until I did DAFNE ..Their diary is much better as it allows for carbs, BSs, quick acting insulin and lang lasting insulin, then I show the ratio in the notes section.....DAFNE is an excellent course to do.
QWsGJcl.jpg

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I design my own spreadsheet because i couldn't find anything that did all what i wanted to record .The spreadsheet has formulas that work it all out for me. i put in BG the amount of carbs the insulin ratio my target BG and it works out my correction insulin and total insulin.
then if you use WORD 2003 like i do you can use the chart wizard to create pretty pictures showing trends that all those DSN love to see.
also the DSN can read it easier than my scruffy hand writtiing

Bigbluebox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Carelinkbow since I've started on the insulin pump and I think this is the first time I've been looking at my readings and keeping on top of them. As well as that all the breakdown of your results is really useful.

HaroldC

I don't bother recording them. I test loads, if it's over 8/9 I'll correct, if that doesn't fix it, I'm probably coming down with something and I need a basal increase (which is, of course FAR easier to do with a pump than a pen)
But permanent records? No. I've got to carry enough clutter around with me and notebooks or diddling around with apps is pointless as you'll never use the data anyway.
That's the way I roll. 40 years T1, & regularly get told, "40 years, goodness we'd expect far more complications after that long. You must be managing it very well."

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I judge my blood glucose by what i feel like e.g. if it feels like my muscles are like jelly and blood like syrup then I would know i'm high, if i shake alot and lose focus a little, i know i'm low

I simple answer would be no I don't record my blood sugars
To put it bluntly, you need to get a grip. You really cannot carry on like this. You are not in control and you are risking complications. I know it's a pain, but you absolutely must get on top of this.
Sorry for sounding so harsh. But your average blood glucose from your HbA1c is very high. I really think you need to get into the routine of BG testing. Do you think you might need some help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
You cannot improve if you don't measure, it's that simple. Testing is a pain in the proverbial **** but there is no option if you want things to be better.

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to not bother writing them down. My DSN gave me a little book but it's really fixed in terms of before and after meals and not much else. I do use it now but with a pinch of salt attached. Mainly because she finds it easier to read than from my meter. If I've tested to drive home from work and then have dinner an hour later is just use that result as pre dinner in the book. Seems a waste of test strips to be testing at hour intervals just so it lines up with times in a book.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I'm on a pump so I just tell it everything. If I need to look at notes I can upload it but mostly I don't. My Dr takes my pump for that at clinic and if she sees something she comments. I'm pretty good at noticing things without needing it printed out for myself though.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulinx meter records my numbers and doses but I also keep a record of all my BGs and a food diary using S Health on my Samsung S 5

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse the results but I have a little book like this.
Got quite a few of them, if I even run out I just ring the number on the back and they send a few out. I never really look back at results unless there is a problem but I prefer tor record everything.

QWsGJcl.jpg
This is interesting as I loved this testing book the most!! I even photocopied the pages to use again as it seemed to disappear (to my clinic anyway!) I should of rung the number, didn't occur to meo_O

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above post, I do generally like a testing book!! I have tried apps and can't be bothered to imput, but an app seemed to require more energy and I would forget, great in the beginning when it is new but after a while I would forget and have to catch up so to speak, a testing book is so easy, you do the test you write it down and put your insulin dose in!! I have found I have also looked over old testing books to see where I have been at with different insulin regimes too, but maybe that is just me! I never throw these things out, may come in handy one day :rolleyes:

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to add, although I don't always record, especially at busy times but some kind of record is actually invaluable and enables us to look back and highlight trends.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I use Glucose Buddy on my Samsung-Galaxy. Freebee.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started using MySugr a couple of weeks ago, and excel for indepth analysis of blood sugar readings.

I have to say apps are really good for day to day management recording insulin doses and carbs. Wish i had started using apps a couple of years ago when i got an android phone. Writing down paper records of insulin doses and blood sugar readings i gave up on years ago. Paper records are pants for any form of analysis, they're to ancient for diabetes as it's all about information management at the end of the day.

amysakura123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I think I'm having the same problems as you, I find it useless when people say things like "get a grip". It's not that simple. I also judge my blood sugars by how I feel, if I'm really thirst I do insulin and if I'm shaky I have sugar and I know that this is an awful thing to do. I think getting someone to text you and remind you if you have a close friend or family member, that helps me a lot. I feel like a log book doesn't help, I find that I just don't do it - it doesn't make me check my blood sugars. I know this is an old post but if anyone else sees this, please contact me if you have any advice. Thanks

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(Apologies for the long post...)

While I don't want to appear cynical, I think utilising apps for blood glucose monitoring, can be problematic in terms of practicality (having to manually populate data) and the ability to derive useful information/analytics from lack of ability to manipulate the date.

However, it takes concientousness and a demonstrable cognisance of the importance of maintaining optimal blood sugars to actively record them/remaining vigilant.

I personally utilise the USB export function on my Gluco RX monitor, this allows me to export the last 1000 tests to an excel cv format. I then copy this data into a master excel spreadsheet (I'm an Analyst by profession) which has various formulas/macros which automatically transform the data into pivot tables/charts, scatter graph etc to enable me to analyse my results and understand where I may have recurrent rises - and essentially look at the bigger picture.

Now I'm guessing (if anyone's still reading) that you may have reservations and think this is excessive, however NOTHING IS TOO excessive (for me) in ensuring my blood sugars are kept optimal, and consequently, I remain as healthy as possible.

I will post screenshots/actual data tomorrow if anyone's interested (plus you can nose around at my last 1000 blood tests - if interested )
And I'll also articulate the real, tangible insights ive derived and consequent actions I've taken based on my anlysis)

Additionally, I think it's useful to be able to illustrate to (seemingly ubiquitous) individuals who are ignorant as to the reality of Type 1, and the involved/constantness nature of this chronic illness (e.g
having to demonstrate to a GP who was od the opinion that There's no way I could be using 8 strips a day..tut, tut - he got told, medical professionals should really know better - ignorance astounds me)

zzzz.