embrassing question!!!

sandymaynard

Hi
I am embrassed to say this but i have severe thrush downstair's! I have got cream from doctor's! It hurts like hell!
My blood sugars are really shot at the min! i have diabetic clinic on monday! But it hurts when i wee or wash down there!
I am trying to wash every couple of hours to keep the area clean! I am not a whimp but never had anything like this before!
Is there anything else i could try to help?
Or any thing i could use to ease the pain?
Sandy

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sandy

You probably know this but you must drink plenty - preferably water. Ive been suffering with oral thrush for months now and cant seem to get rid of it. I am told that it wont go properly until my sugars come down but my sugars have been much higher and I never had oral thrush then!!
Have only had the other thrush once when I was first pregnant - have the doctors not given you pessaries as well as cream? Not sure if sometimes they give anti-biotics but you have had a lorry full of those lately havent you?!!

Sorry I do not have a magical answer - you have my sympathies. BFN, Jude

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Sandy,there are various things that you can get from the chemist or doctor.You could also try live yoghurt down there as this can have a soothing effect because it neutralises the acids.

Spiral

I never use anything but plain slightly warm water on mine. We seem to have absorbed all the myths about or female bits being unpleasant and unhygenic, so we often douse them with highly scented and harsh chemicals :cry:

Live yogurt is good if you have thrush, I have used that. Bit fiddly to apply, but using an applicator tampon helps. You need to work on your own technique.

However, I would caution anyone constantly washing "down there", especially if you use anything other than plain water. It is a very delicate and finely balanced ecosystem and chemicals irritate it and will make it worse.

I suggest you wear loose flowing clothing, cotton knickers (if you have to wear anything at all) and let the air get to your bits. I have been known to sit by a fan when i'm on my own. While I appreciate this may be a bit challenging for anyone at work, if you are at home you could do it.

Oh yes, and if you are at work, sitting on hard and sweaty plastic seats is deadly to your bits, especially if you are prone to thrush :shock: :evil:

I tend to get thrush whenever I have taken antibiotics, about 2 weeks after the course ends :( If I have taken antibiotics I can pretty much garauntee I will get thrush in about 10-14 days. I always make sure I have my remedy of choice to hand because I know I need to use it at the first sign of itching.

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about – this is a common but extreeeeeeeeeeemly horrid, annoying & itchy issue for a lot of woman with diabetes. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What has your GP prescribed?

Ideally you need a topical ointment to apply to the vaginal area and/or a vaginal pessary like Canestan or oral treatment such as Fluconazole (one oral tablet). If its severe cream alone is not likely to clear it up. Both of these are available as over the counter medicines.
There is more information on treatments in a very readable format on:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thrush/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Drink plenty of water to keep urine dilute – because increased sugar in urine acts as another irritant & it will be less stinging. If you can manage some Cranberry Juice – the proper stuff – to drink within your carb allowance its worth doing. If not Cranberry Capsules can be obtained from well-known Health Food Shops.

Eat live (Probiotic) yoghurt

Cranberry juice and yoghurt are two foods that taken regularly may help prevent thrush occurring.

Some woman apply live plain yoghurt to the vagina – there is no evidence that this actually treats the thrush but it can reduce the symptoms and thus it’s soothing & there is no evidence that the yoghurt will damage the vagina in any way.

Put the ointment you have been prescribed in the fridge as this can also be soothing when applied.

Reduce the following foods – bread, mushrooms, marmite, cheese, alcohol, vinegar as these are known culprits for feeding the thrush not because of sugars but because of the yeast component in those foods.

Don’t use highly scented soaps or washes on the vaginal area or wash every couple of hours – keeping the area clean is not the issue. The more you clean the more irritated the area will get.

Don’t use vaginal douches because they strip the vagina of the essential flora that’s meant to be there.

Wear cotton knickers.

Wear no knickers – if you can lie down with your legs apart just to get some air to the area it can be soothing . For obvious reasons I suggest this is not done in a public place :lol: :lol: :lol:

The use of a fan as Spiral suggested - here is more to a fans use than just cooling a room :!: :!:

Don’t worry also if you need a further treatment be it another oral dose of treatment or another pessary – because if the thrush is severe sometimes one treatment is not enough. You haven’t done anything wrong it’s just that Thrush sometimes needs another dose of treatment to eradicate it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Traceyxx

sandymaynard

Hi choc fish
Yes it is canesten with pessary! I will use saline solution before i go to bed tonight! With a little warm water!
I always wear cotton underwear! It is so painful!
I have some natural yougut in the fridge! I will give this a go!
My blood sugars no matter what i do is not coming down now!
I have tried everything!
My breakfast is egg and bacon and sausage!
Lunch a salad,
evening meal maybe a salad with 2 tablespoons of yougut and 4 strawberrys for afters once every two days!

I think that all the stress that i have been under has caused all this Luckly with my gp being female she understands what is wrong!
She advised warm water no soap!
I will give the saline solution a go!

Hi spiral
i found it so embrassing to go to doctor! But i had no choice! But when i took prescription into chemist i got so embrassed as the girl on the till asked a few questions!
She asked if i had sex in the last few day's, I said no last week! Is your partner aware that you have thrush! There was a queue of people behind me!
I wanted the floor to open up!
I am going to give a few things a go! I always thought the whole yougut thing was a myth!
I never knew it was true! Never suffered with this before!
Thank you everybody for your frank and open answers they are so helpful!

Hi kewgirl,
Cannesten pessary and cream! If not better by monday i am to report it to the diabetic nurse i see! She will try me with something else!
I have never had this before
Sandy

Spiral

She asked if i had sex in the last few day's, I said no last week! Is your partner aware that you have thrush! There was a queue of people behind me!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

lionrampant

Spiral said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Appropriate response: "Well if he didn't know before..."

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Scuse me Ladies sympathy from me as us poor chappies suffer too!!!

when i had a recent relapse and my sugars went way high i ended up with high glucose in me wee too
caused similar symptoms and irritation, red and sore and no way to get comfy,
the worst was when first waking on a morning, the added "pressure" made it very painfull,
same advice for any chaps reading this, loose cotton undies, or wear a kilt !! try some self medication with the usual Thrush remedies, for more info google for "Balanitus" its a complication from the high glucose content of urine
send me a pm and i can give some basic advice about care
Oh and i found that between applications of the thrush treatment that, "Bepanthen" nappy rash cream soothed and protected from soreness and burning
hope it helps
Crofty

sandymaynard

Hi crofty!
So sorry to hear you suffered with it!
It is very painful when you get it!
Thankyou so much for putting this info up for the men!
Sandy

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Just to lighten things a little, and reference the advice earlier in the thread.
so if i am walking in the park one day and i see a Lady sat legs akimbo and no kecks on,
i can safely assume
"Diabetic, and a touch of thrush",

then strike up a conversation on various remedies...lololololol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :roll:

Fletch

don't be embarrassed sandy - I assure you that you are not alone with this - I think quite a lot of us Diabetics have been there. I actually did a DAFNE course a few weeks ago and this subject came up and I can tell you that everyone on that course had sufferred with Thrush at one time or another.

Prevention is better than cure and the only way to achieve that is as near normal BG as possible. In the meantime keep applying the Canestan.

Regards.

Fletch.

Pozzie

croftmanor said:
Just to lighten things a little, and reference the advice earlier in the thread.
so if i am walking in the park one day and i see a Lady sat legs akimbo and no kecks on,
i can safely assume

Well..its either thrush or your lucks improved :lol: :lol: :lol:

jan123

croftmanor said:
i can safely assume

And this is why I am beginning to love this forum :lol: :lol: :lol:

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies men I didn’t mean to imply that thrush is only a female problem in my earlier reply, but as I is not a man I didn’t want to speak on your behalf – I usually get told off when I do that :lol: :lol: :lol:.

In a park recently with legs akimbo staring at the sky – I was actually trying to see images in clouds :wink: - the park warden & a community support officer approached me inquiring as to what exactly was I doing?

I explained about needing to get air to my nether regions, that it was an ancient Egyptian (had to pluck some ancient civilisation from memory !) remedy to aid overall health & vitality and that more men & women needed to participate because it was very good for health etc etc.

I didn’t actually mention the “T” word on account that it was very personal and they didn’t need to know such information!

His reply “just make sure you don’t get sun burnt ma’am” and walked off!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandymaynard

Hi croft
Yes it may be a case that she is diabetic!
There again she might just feel like cooling down a bit!

Oh poor you kewgirl!

I would like to thank you all! The saline solution has worked a treat used it last night then put cream on once dried! Oh and the relief was almost instant!
Went for awee this morning, painful but not as bad! Used the saline again today and cream! feel a little better!
Woke up this morning Bg was 7.1 alot better than it has been! Got a banging migraine, but that is because as thirsty as i have been tried not to drink too much! Because hurt to wee!
Now have the head to match!
Oh yes and stubbed toe ealier and got black toenail!
So now i am top to toe something wrong with me! Lol.
I do feel a little better down there! Now we have hot sun here!
Sandy

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sandy

last thing you should do is restrict fluids - that will make it worse as your wee will be more concentrated (think you should know that! :roll: )

Jude x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi everybody
thrush is no respector of one sex or the other. Also when they get together, it can be passed along. Natural yogurt applied externally and salt water in the bath are the most effective things I know. and a little bicarbonate in some water, to drink, changes acidity of the urine. May help with pain. Tastes foul, like soap.
Ultimately, ONLY low BG will get rid of it.