i need to get back on track

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
I need you to give me a big kick up the backside. I did so well when I was first diagnosed with type 2 last year and managed to get down my weight and glucose levels. Over the summer we have had a number of birthdays and holidays and I seem to have lost my way. I need to get back on track. Encouragement and/or threats needed!

Reactions: 2 people

deedee

I did the same, started well then life got stupidly stressful and I lost my way. I have been back on it for a couple of weeks and I have to say I feel so much better for it and I am reducing the risk of long term complications. Think of how good you felt back then and give yourself the kick up the bum you need to get back to it.

Reactions: 7 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best way is to set yourself a reward each week for being good.

I now find it harder to get off the track than stay on it, and when I eat some foods that I have craved I think 'did I enjoy that? no - avoid next time'

Reactions: 9 people

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The best way is to set yourself a reward each week for being good.

I now find it harder to get off the track than stay on it, and when I eat some foods that I have craved I think 'did I enjoy that? no - avoid next time'
You're right, I didn't really enjoy eating the wrong things, especially the junk food. Hopefully I have got it into my head that it won't be very nice.

Reactions: 4 people

Jo123

My motivation is fear! I don't want to succumb to one of many diabetic complications, I take my mum to hospital appointments for her many problems caused by diabetes. If ever I am tempted I think of a tv programme about diabetes explaining that excess sugar in your blood is like shards of glass damaging blood vessels and nerves.

Reactions: 12 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding it's not just places you go where all these scrumptious dangerous foods reside, it's the attitude of some friends (perhaps it's just me that has a couple of rotten apples!) Example - shopping with a rotten apple this week. I stupidly forget to take my own prepared lunch, my friend was insisting she buy me a sandwich....knowing I had given up all grain, and why!! I picked up a 90g bag of nuts to fill the gap until I got home. We stopped for a cuppa, the shop was a screaming carb junkie paradise - again, I was offered a cake by rotten apple. I get my tea with a complimentary biscuit, the small token that one just wants to flick across the room like an annoying wasp. Rotten Apple "don't you want your biscuit?" Now, rotten apple is a Uni lecturer, accredited with some form of intelligence..............

Watch out for the rotten apple factor, they will pull up your track merrily causing a train wreck.:wideyed:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter used to always ask me if I wanted stuff from the shop and I told her I was going to put a sign on my forehead saying "dont feed your mother" . It can be hard getting back on track, it is a constant battle thats for sure.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble I have is that I'm not a "kitchen Goddess" at all. Have lived on ready meals and take-aways for so long now until getting the diabetic wake-up call and starting LC/HF that it just doesn't come easy having to put some effort in cooking up the "allowed" stuff. I scroll through all the menus and I've never got all the ingredients for anything. I need to make a list of all the low carb options like almond flour, seeds, herbs and spices, etc. but I think the prices would be a bit off-putting. As I'm the only one eating the veg and salad it seems to go off before I used it all.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
H
The trouble I have is that I'm not a "kitchen Goddess" at all. Have lived on ready meals and take-aways for so long now until getting the diabetic wake-up call and starting LC/HF that it just doesn't come easy having to put some effort in cooking up the "allowed" stuff. I scroll through all the menus and I've never got all the ingredients for anything. I need to make a list of all the low carb options like almond flour, seeds, herbs and spices, etc. but I think the prices would be a bit off-putting. As I'm the only one eating the veg and salad it seems to go off before I used it all.

Hi, I'm exactly the same, not great in the kitchen, I'm not a foody! I have also never been fond of cakes, biscuits or chocolate. Lately I've been craving cheesecake but because they are usually high in carbs I looked for an alternative low carb recipe and found one that's really simple. The only set back was the base was made of almond flour, I looked in every supermarket and the only place I could find it was Holland and Barrett. It was £8.99 for a small bag! I did buy it and I have tried the recipe which turned out brilliantly, loved the cheesecake and so did the rest of the family! I looked for a source of cheaper flour online and read you can make your own simply by grinding almonds, which I've tried and it's really easy. I'm now making a couple of cheesecakes a week and really enjoying them when I get a sweet craving. The cheesecake has no effects my blood sugar but a shop bought one will raise it to 13+! I've also been eating a lot of stir frys which are really easy to vary just by changing the meat and work out really cheap and only take about ten minutes to prepare.

Hope you manage to find some simple alternatives to fit your lifestyle.

Reactions: 6 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
H

Hi, I'm exactly the same, not great in the kitchen, I'm not a foody! I have also never been fond of cakes, biscuits or chocolate. Lately I've been craving cheesecake but because they are usually high in carbs I looked for an alternative low carb recipe and found one that's really simple. The only set back was the base was made of almond flour, I looked in every supermarket and the only place I could find it was Holland and Barrett. It was £8.99 for a small bag! I did buy it and I have tried the recipe which turned out brilliantly, loved the cheesecake and so did the rest of the family! I looked for a source of cheaper flour online and read you can make your own simply by grinding almonds, which I've tried and it's really easy. I'm now making a couple of cheesecakes a week and really enjoying them when I get a sweet craving. The cheesecake has no effects my blood sugar but a shop bought one will raise it to 13+! I've also been eating a lot of stir frys which are really easy to vary just by changing the meat and work out really cheap and only take about ten minutes to prepare.

Hope you manage to find some simple alternatives to fit your lifestyle.

Hi @rosserk Thanks x I'm glad I'm not the only one then :) I expect there's a lot of us who struggle and don't post in the What Have you eaten today" thread as don't think it would inspire anyone or ashamed of the blandness of most of our meals. I tend to live off the Greek yogurts and berries, hard boiled eggs, tinned fish (salmon, tuna, sardines etc.) with the inevitable salad. Meat and loads of cauliflower which I can keep in the freezer til I need it.

I started off well and full of enthusiasm but after near 2 months I've got to the stage of being bored with what I've been having (can't face more salad or hard boiled eggs or cauli) and realise I've got to get in that kitchen and do more proper cooking.

I bought some ground almonds once and used them in place of almond flour in a recipe for pancakes and they were rotten - all crumbly and dry. I don't really crave the high carb stuff anymore. I did miss bread a lot but now half a Lidl High Protein roll fills me up.

I'm glad you found your cheesecake substitute x I must go shopping and get some supplies but with an O/H who is insulin dependant and eats what he likes despite soaring BS it's really hard.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rosserk Thanks x I'm glad I'm not the only one then :) I expect there's a lot of us who struggle and don't post in the What Have you eaten today" thread as don't think it would inspire anyone or ashamed of the blandness of most of our meals. I tend to live off the Greek yogurts and berries, hard boiled eggs, tinned fish (salmon, tuna, sardines etc.) with the inevitable salad. Meat and loads of cauliflower which I can keep in the freezer til I need it.

I started off well and full of enthusiasm but after near 2 months I've got to the stage of being bored with what I've been having (can't face more salad or hard boiled eggs or cauli) and realise I've got to get in that kitchen and do more proper cooking.

I bought some ground almonds once and used them in place of almond flour in a recipe for pancakes and they were rotten - all crumbly and dry. I don't really crave the high carb stuff anymore. I did miss bread a lot but now half a Lidl High Protein roll fills me up.

I'm glad you found your cheesecake substitute x I must go shopping and get some supplies but with an O/H who is insulin dependant and eats what he likes despite soaring BS it's really hard.

I thought there was something different in the almond flour but it's just ground almonds. I bought my own almonds and put them in the food mixer and hey presto ground flour! I have also tried the pancakes with the almond flour and they worked out really well had to try a few different recipes though before I got it right. You're right about needing lots of different ingredients you wouldn't normally find in the cupboard though. I bet it's really hard having to cater for your other half who can eat anything but being mindful of your own needs and life's to short to spend it slaving over a cooker!

I have also found the protein rolls from Lidl and really enjoy them with lashings of crunchy peanut butter which is my new breakfast favourite. I'm also mad about hartleys sugar free jelly, I add some blueberries sometimes and loads of cream. It's something I reach for when I'm thirsty it seems to really quench my thirst and is a great snack. I've never eaten deserts before but find I crave them now which is so strange for someone whose avoided them for over 50 years! I have literally never eaten cake biscuits hate chocolate and have always favoured savoury foods.

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
You must get back on track. Lost your weight quickly or I will give you a big kick up on your ass.

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@rosserk Any chance of posting the cheesecake recipe. Im slowly building up my LC recipes but I dont have a cheesecake recipe yet.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you've mentioned almond flour because I've been wondering about that. I wasn't sure if it was the same thing as ground almonds.
I have got myself a couple of lchf cookery books and I'm planning to try one new recipe a week. It only takes effort initially, after you've made it a few times you don't have to think about it so much.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Suzannelife Hahaha! Not sure who that was aimed at but I'll take a good kicking if I slip off the wagon :D

I thought almond flour was a lot finer and more like ordinary flour whereas ground almonds is quite coarse?

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Suzannelife Hahaha! Not sure who that was aimed at but I'll take a good kicking if I slip off the wagon :D

I thought almond flour was a lot finer and more like ordinary flour whereas ground almonds is quite coarse?
Don't worry copey, the kick was for me and I needed it.
Does anyone know the cheapest way to buy almond flour?

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry copey, the kick was for me and I needed it.
Does anyone know the cheapest way to buy almond flour?

Yes, I realised when I re-read your original post ... lol.

well rosserk says it works out cheaper to just buy almonds and grind your own. I'm not sure if my little food processor would cope with that. Only just bought it so haven't tried it yet. I thought almonds were quite expensive too if you buy enough to process into almond flour?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I just use ground almonds when a recipe calls for almond flour. So far so good.

@copey399 You should post on the low carb What have you eaten thread :) Doesn't have to be fancy nosh, just something to show the newbies what is possible as a lot of them are bamboozled. Today I posted sausages and beans :hungry:

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you've mentioned almond flour because I've been wondering about that. I wasn't sure if it was the same thing as ground almonds.
I have got myself a couple of lchf cookery books and I'm planning to try one new recipe a week. It only takes effort initially, after you've made it a few times you don't have to think about it so much.

Hi there is almond flour which is ground peeled almonds and almond meal flour which is ground almonds without the skin removed. I put mine in a food mixer with a shredding blade and it comes out identical to the almond flour you buy in Holland and Barrett.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I realised when I re-read your original post ... lol.

well rosserk says it works out cheaper to just buy almonds and grind your own. I'm not sure if my little food processor would cope with that. Only just bought it so haven't tried it yet. I thought almonds were quite expensive too if you buy enough to process into almond flour?

They are one of the more expensive nuts to buy but look around places like aldi have cheaper ones.