Help with Appetite and Controlling Diabetes

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes back in Jan/Feb 2013 at the age of 16 and as everyone says, it was a horrible shock. I absolutely loathe being diabetic, but I try not to let it control me; however, this has gone too far now.

It seems that most diabetics focus on what they eat and ensure that they eat foods low in carbohydrates, and if they do enjoy a sugary or carb-filled treat, that it is in moderation.

I can't seem to do this. When I was firstly diagnosed, I totally cut out chocolates and foods high in carbohydrates (I am a chocaholic and have a very sweet tooth to this day), and I dreaded having to live the rest of my life without being allowed to eat chocolates, cakes, biscuits, etc.

This stage didn't last long though, as I soon realised that I could eat sugary junk food as long as I put extra insulin (Novorapid) in. So now I eat huge slices of cake, whole chocolate bars, loads of biscuits, etc. I'm usually good at injecting enough insulin to cover these and to keep my blood glucose levels (reasonably) well, although sometimes I can't stop eating junk food and end up injecting myself about 2-3 times just for one meal, and still having levels in the 20s. I know this is really bad, and I even throw up a lot too (not on purpose), although it might be due to other medical problems I have. Nonetheless, I still feel terrible about myself when I read about all these other diabetics concerned whether they're allowed to eat this or that. I seriously need to start controlling my diabetes and my appetite much better, but I find it really difficult and I struggle to find the motivation to bother. I'm sorry if I sound incredibly spoilt and stupid, I swear I'm not, I just hate being diabetic.

If anyone has any advice for me I would be so grateful, as I am to anyone who has taken the time to read this. Please also let me know if anyone else suffers from an insatiable appetite at times, or who binge eats (like I do) because I think it is absolutely disgusting that I can't stop myself, and is made worse by the fact that I have diabetes (as it really messes up my levels).

Thank you,

Sera x

Reactions: Zellmühle

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome to the forum, serajane. It's good that you are being so honest about your issue, I take my hat off to you. I am sure you will find lots of support here. I think the forum can seem a bit overwhelmed with T2 diabetics talking about reducing carbs and it must be hard sometimes for T1 people to wade through all that and get to the info they need.

I have struggled all my life with binge eating sugary and carb-laden foods, and I still struggle with it even though I have largely gotten my T2 diabetes under control. There is some info about it here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/binge-eating-disorders.html

Always remember you are not alone, heaps of people struggle with this, they just don't often share about it. Hugs.

Reactions: 2 people

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much, you don't know how much that means to me! I will check out the link now Its good to know I'm not alone!x

maryjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being T1 you can eat what you want as long as you can keep your levels steady and not put on weight. There are many T1 diabetics who don't bother with any special diet. Sometimes having that piece of chocolate and correct dose of insulin is better than trying to avoid sweets altoghether and than falling off the wagon completely and binge eating.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there :) like you I really struggle with constant cravings for sweet foods, I don't think its related to my diabetes, I just love it all!! The fact I can never be bothered to inject more than 4 times a day is what stops me snacking. Have you considered looking into a pump? I have no experience in this but I can imagine that if you put the time into getting it right you can have a lot more flexibility

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you to both of you! I don't put much weight on, but I exercise regularly so that is probably why. I haven't, but I might do some research into a pump to see if it would suit my lifestyle. Thank you

KowsarI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sera,
I am also trying to stop this big appetite especially for sweetie things. My mum is always reminding me that before i was diagnosed i wasn't a big fan of sweets which i find hard to believe. So this random craving for sweets i put down as wanting something i want but cant have..
To tackle your appetite i suggest eating food that reduces your appetite or keeps you full until your next meal. Food like eggs have been suggested to me.
Good luck!!

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That puts a totally different spin on things, as I don't think I've ever thought about it like that. Thank you! My mam says exactly the same about trying to eat "proper" foods that will fill me up and are healthy. Thanks for your reply

Reactions: Zellmühle

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @serajane1996, I'm glad the posts have been helping you get a better understanding. Remember, take it each step at a time. Reduce your total carbohydrate intake, especially the sugary intake and you will see improvements. I've also found sugar free chewing gum between meals helps reduce the craving for sugary foods :)

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I'm sure my diabetic nurse will tell me the same thing as well! Sugar free chewing gum sometimes works for me too, but I'll have to try it more often

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As long as you are keeping the weight down i.e. a BMI in the good range then I wouldn't worry too much. How about 85% Dark Chocolate?

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently at a healthy weight so thats good to know, thanks! I don't like dark chocolate I'm afraid, but thank you for your advice

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Carbs create cravings..thats basically why you struggle.

More carbs, more insulin, more carbs, more insulin... Its a merry go round....

Personally I have to steer clear of sugar free gum. 10 years after being diagnosec I started getting chronic pains. Unknown to me a consultant in 2003 suggested sweeteners (aspartame) intolerance. I never knew. I found out this year. It took 10 years for full blown aspartame poisoning... I was crippled with it.

Whilst you are young please look at eating the most natural products... I would not want anyone else suffering the **** 20 years of debilitating pain that I have.

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, thank you for letting me know. That sounds awful! How are you now?

I have to say that I am quite healthy. I do eat fruits and veg, I eat three solid meals a day, my parents and I make homemade dinners and only occasionally get takeaways, etc. I am only referring to when I snack, which is when I tend to go for chocolates and biscuits.

I have heard that carbs create cravings, so I am trying to cut down. Its difficult though, as when I am hungry my mam will suggest toast, but she doesn't quite understand that this means extra insulin.

Thank you very much for your response though, and I hope you are ok.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@serajane1996

Thank you for showing concern... Very much appreciated.

I am fine now. However, I was crippled and on full DLA at one point... However now I know, I avoid anything with artificial ingredients...including preservatives. There are a number of us on the forum that avoid aspartame....I never had a lot!! My mum giving me a bottle of drambuie with diet coke for xmas n birthdays but I did go through a fair bit of sugar free gum!!!

You are young...and you have a lifetime ahead and it sounds as if you are eating healthy and well to be honest.

I can't eat rice, bread, pasta or poratoes due to slow colonic transit (I don't think this is diabetes related).

Mum's are difficult!!! They like to feed their children!! I don't know your choices of food but things just like cucumber n cheese wrapped in a slice of ham would appear more filling to your mum and wouldn't need a jab!!

Thank you for your concern. I just worry over any other persons having aspartame.. I have no tolwrance of anything other than natural foods.. But thats me... However, please research aspartame and try to avoid it..

There's no harm in occasional treats.. You have a lifetime a head of you.. I have a feast icecream as a treat occasionally.. They are my favourites..

I got encouraged to eat breakfast.. Breads n cereals... Just a few people encoyraged this in 30 years of me being T1...I tried it... Big mistake.
You have to find a lifestyle of eating that is right for you. Bread n pasta etc bung my stomach up and I end up in A&E and hospital...so I have had to cut them out..I remsinat size 8 despite being in my early 50's!! Only time larger than a size 10 was eating the wrong foods!!

Mum's love feeding.. But they do adapt... Because they love you... If you said mum I prefer a cucumber wrapped in ham.. Guaranteed you would get it...!!

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs

That sounds awful, I am very sorry to hear it, although I'm glad that you are fine now!

I never use sweeteners - one of the only things I've been able to adjust to with diabetes (I used to have 3 sugars in my tea pre-diabetes). I go through a lot of sugar free gum, especially when I was in school, but only occasionally treat myself to a diet coke or pepsi.

They really do! That sounds like a good idea, I'll definitely have to try it, thank you!

I've just done a little bit of research into aspartame and its scary how many "diet" and "low sugar" products it is found in... I'd never even heard if it before! It seems horribly unfair though, as these products are the ones that us diabetics can enjoy without having the full-sugar version and having our bg levels go sky-high! I'm very grateful to you for making me aware of this - I'm not going to lie to you and say that I'll never have anything with aspartame in it again, but I'll definitely take it into consideration, and cut down on these products even more.

My doctor did test me for glucose intolerance, but luckily it came back negative. What does your diet tend to consist of then?

Thank you once again, I really appreciate all of the advice and help you've given me

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Salmon, fish n salads...
Meat and veg..
Pure sugar cubes for hypos.
Lots of nuts (not peanuts)
Yummy home made pecan bites.
Lots of fresh fruit salads (mango, orange, apple. Kiwi)
Occasional feast icecreams if I've worked hard- (barely once a month!!)
Dark choc -2 squares everyday
Have found I can tolerate an iced coffee yumyum from Waitrose cafe!! A real treat!!
Pretty much lots of salads which I love though.

I am 50+ so a lot older than you. I do have a couple small glasses of red wine at weekends.

You have to live.... And enjoy. Not be different... Not to let diabetes rule your world.

I still went recently to the Ritz for dinner. I do have treats. I have never been one to have excess...

Most important thing is for you to live and enjoy. Take consideration that you can see the effects of food on your bloods... Others may seem as if they can eat anything and everything... But they can't see as much as we do...just like aspartame.. You've been warned what damage it could do because you have diabetes... Others are stilltotally oblivious to the it...

I was about 95-98% healthy eating and drinking previously.. Just the gum really that was ****!! Even things like bisto gravy granules etc are dreadful for ingredients etc..

You have to live happy though... Thats the most important thing.. Just being aware....

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds so healthy! I don't like fish, but I eat a lot of meat and veg, and I often make homemade vegetable soups which are really nice My friend recently introduced me to yumyums but she was terrified that my sugars would go really high, however, I was 6.5 after it which was surprising. They are amazing!

I'll clearly have to do a lot more research into aspartine, and take a closer look at what I'm eating. This will be particularly beneficial towards my 'binge-eating' as I may be able to control it better now.

That is exactly what I tell myself, but it is very nice to hear it from someone like yourself who clearly has a lot if experience with diabetes. Thank you again for all your help! x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sera :)

I'm a total chocoholic. I also eat biscuits for snacks, and, predictably the chocolate ones are my favourites.

I've found it easier to control how much I eat since being on a pump. I think this is because my levels are smoother. When your BS levels are up and down, I find that creates hunger and makes it harder to resist sweet things and treats.

I only buy a certain number of chocolate bars a week and then space them out by having a few squares at a time. I also make sure I eat plenty of protein at meals as that keeps me fuller longer. And I have full fat products for the same reason. If you're not hungry, chocolate and biscuits aren't so appealing. I've found. Hot drinks like tea or coffee help with cravings too.

As others have said, too many carbs get you stuck in a carb craving pattern, I have around 150-180g a day usually. I also limit myself with snacks so I don't have more than 20g or so for a snack. That limits the amount of biscuits I can have and if I'm still hungry I fill up on protein like a slice of ham, etc. I've been diabetic for more than 20 years and my preference for sweet things has gradually reduced over the years so that's helped too.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I got berated years ago by someone on here saying yum yums were dreadful to have... They also put my posting on to a different website and sent me evil details via private messages... Just because I could have 1/2 a yumyum that kept my bloods even for 2 hrs whilst gardening!

I am glad to hear of someone else that can eat them!! You've made my day!!

Just be kind to yourself. Keep a balance and you will keep healthy...