applying for jobs and Type 1

pebbles22

Hi

Has anyone encountered what they beleive to discrimination when applying for jobs, more often than not there is a health declaration that asks whether you have any illnessess, if you state that you have diabetes when applying for a new job, does it immediately put you at the bottom of the pile, even though you may be the best person for the job, and totally able to do it as well as someone who doesnt have type 1.

thanks

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Despite what some people may have you believe, I think such discrimination is rare although it obviously does exist. Although there are laws to prevent it, the difficulty is always in PROVING that it has taken place, especially when you are not actually working for the company concerned.

I would look at any situation from another angle too - would you really WANT to work for a company that put your application at the bottom of the pile solely because of your health status? Not me...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you have to make a declaration, I would recommend putting "Well controlled diabetes type ?" It's not difficult to understand that an employer would be worried about employing someone who needs a lot of time off and is liable to have "incidents" at work. Most people's knowledge of diabetes, is gained from TV drama, where it's often portrayed as very dramatic :lol: or headlines in the papers.

Iambackwards

Why even put it on the job application? When I fill in forms that ask if I have any diseases I don't put any. If my diabetes is well controlled, I don't believe it even is a disease because it in no way negatively affects my day.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
First of all, there is no difference between either T1 and T2 etc as far as Employment Law is concerned. There are certain occupations where Insulin users may be restricted along with other Hypo inducing medications.

As regards any forms that you are obliged to fill in for potential emploment, they should all be completed fully and accurately, which includes honestly ! Most forms actually need you to sign a declaration to that effect.

If you want to lie on the forms then be prepared for the consequences when you are found out.
These include sacking, demotion, humiliation, lack of trust etc ? Not to mention a danger to your own and/or your work colleagues because they have no idea you are Diabetic and you may be having a Hypo at work. This can be mistaken for drunken behaviour and may not get you the treatment you need.

In all circumstances it is better to be honest, than dishonest.

Ken.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I used to work as a ski instructor in switzerland.
If anyone had a medical condition they didn't tell me about, i'd fire their ass quicker than you can say '... well... buh-bye'.
I do not like being lied to, and neither do a lot of other employers.
I've never had a problem with it.
I usually find a way to bring it up in the interview, i need four hospital appointments a year, and i've had very good control for the majority of my life.
After that, people aren't so bothered.

Always tell them. Mostly, they won't care if you're good.
It can take forever to get a job nowadays, so it might not be the diabetes. It might just be bad luck.

Good luck. :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure the person selecting for interview would even see the medical info, especially in a company big enough to have a Personnel/HR dept. I suspect it's supposed to be separated from the main CV part before shortlisting, like the racial origin and age/DoB are, to avoid discrimination.

Maybe someone who works in HR can clarify?

pebbles22

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, it would be interesting to hear from someone from a HR capacity,although I realise all employers are different.

Pebbles

Sweet3x

From my own HR team:

'We aren't allowed to discriminate against people with any health issues. Revealing diabetes is important, since any 'episodes' will need to be documented for legal reasons. We would not request medical records etc. It is not a legal requirement to mention that you have diabetes, however, witholding such information could lead to questions being asked about honesty.'

Hope this helps :)

sammythehammy

when i recently applied for a position at the post office as a sorter the interview was going very well we even discussed starting dates etc.....then i thought best to be honest and informed him i was type1 but my control was good and wouldnt affect my work. He bluntly said packing up and getting to leave the room WE DO NOT TAKE ON DIABETICS AT THE POST OFFICE. I felt terribly insulted and upset but its proving it isnt it.
he would probably just say i wasnt suitable for some other reason discrimination really is horrible with better education of these employers im sure it wouldnt happen as often.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
sammythehammy said:
when i recently applied for a position at the post office as a sorter the interview was going very well we even discussed starting dates etc.....then i thought best to be honest and informed him i was type1 but my control was good and wouldnt affect my work. He bluntly said packing up and getting to leave the room WE DO NOT TAKE ON DIABETICS AT THE POST OFFICE. I felt terribly insulted and upset but its proving it isnt it.
he would probably just say i wasnt suitable for some other reason discrimination really is horrible with better education of these employers im sure it wouldnt happen as often.

This is a Royal Mail web link, see what you can get from it.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump ... d=17200176

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought that with the exception of jobs like truck / bus drivers, pilot etc it was illegal to do that?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
AndyS said:
I thought that with the exception of jobs like truck / bus drivers, pilot etc it was illegal to do that?

Exactly, that's why sammythehammy should kick up a fuss and make a complaint. :twisted:

Martin Z

If you have to put health status on an application not only put "well controlled Diabetic" but if you have been a diabetic for a good number of years put "well controlled Diabetic for last 20 years" or something like that

stani36

I used to be an HR Advisor in the company I currently work for. I changed roles when I got married in August last year.

When you are applying for a position be it with a new company or internal with an existing company and have the option to state you are diabetic then please ensure you make this known to the company. You cannot and should not be discriminated for being diabetic and you are covered under the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) if you are.

If like me you work for a large organisation they will have there own Occupationl Health department. All new applicants to my company have to complete/disclose any health conditions (it's in your own interest to be 100% honest). In my company these forms bypass the acutal HR department in a seperate sealed envelope and are passed straight to the Occupational Health nurse to assess. You cannot be penalised for being diabetic! Should the nurse need to know further information they may call you or ask you to pop along and see them. Don't see this as being negative they are merley seeing if they need to assist you or make any adjustments. Just because one person my have perfect health and has never had a day off sick in their lives or attended a hospital appointment and diabetics do doesn't mean to say you shouldn't accept assistance if it's offered to you.

I had a couple of weeks off last year for reoccurring migraines and was very poorly with it. Despite the fact I was advised to rest for 2 weeks by my GP and was put on all kinds of medication and sent to see a neurologist for assistance a report had to be sent to my Occupational Health nurse by my manager (when I was in HR) as it was the company policy at the time. I wasn't impressed at the time but the nurse was great and looking at the bigger picture with my diabetes and other health problems could see I had a complex health history. Some adjustments were made and I had regular chats with the nurse over a 6week period which was really helpful. She also advised to look at the www.direct.gov.uk website as there is tons of info around diabetes and working environment that would be of help.

I hope I've not bored you too much!

Take care.

Graham

Hello as an HR advisor I'm hoping you might be able to help me.

i've applied for a train driving job and in the job spec they said the only restrictions were that you had to be over 21 and not colour blind. i'm starting to have doubts now though. I haven't been asked yet, but I was just going to tell the truth when I am.

I never have hypos and am on very small doses of insulin and also take metformin. Do you think I'll be allowed to do the job

best wishes

Graham

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Graham

Good luck with the job interview! I am currently a train driver, well was!! until I was diagnosed as a diabetic requiring insulin! I was told if I was just on oral meds, no problem, but as Im on insulin I can no longer drive a train, I am actually being demoted to a lower grade as we speak :-( discrimination? I think so, they see it was reasonable adjustments!

spideog

I've never mentioned diabetes on job applications, it is totally irrelevant to my suitability to do the job. Note: I've never applied to be a bus/ truck/ tank/ train/ plane / cop car or fire engine driver. I'm only a keyboard driver. :D

Now it would always be mentioned immediately after starting or getting contracts to HR/ first aiders/ boss/ colleagues. But until I get the job it is none of their business and I'd not risk letting the wrong page of the application get handed to the wrong department such that the wrong person saw it before I even got as far as an interview.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I do a nice sedentary job so it's never been a consideration but equally it's never been asked at interviews. With my current job (they're very health and safety conscious) I had to fill in numerous forms after I accepted the offer. Obviously if they'd rejected me after having offered the job it would have been straight discrimination (unless there was some other demonstrable reason). For most office jobs, providing you are well controlled, I don't think it's really relevant to disclose at interview as it won't impact on your ability to do the job in any way.