sharps bins

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all im in scotland & i used 2 use a large sharps bin which i got frm my gp surgery, last wk when i took it bac up 2 b replaced with new 1 i was told they no longer exchange these bins & i was 2 take it 2 pharmacy which i did only 2 b told by 3 different pharmacys that they dont accept the large 1s but eventually under duress 1 did take it & my usual pharmacy then told me that all they can give me is a small 1 which id no option but 2 take but i think it very shocking bein on 5 jags a day & also testin my blood up2 6 times a day that i can only get the small 1 which is only goin 2 last a month if that, has ne1 else avein same problem??????

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go to Boots and ask them for a few. I have 1l ones from them.
it was boots i took large 1 2 & they grudingly accepted it but i got 3 small 1s frm my own pharmacy but think it is down rite terrible that we cant get large 1s nemore

M

mammamia2006

Where about in Scotland do you stay?

I would've went to hospital & got them to exchange for you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my bin on prescription and call one off when the old one is full. Luckily my pharmacy does take the full one but doesn't do swaps.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Down here in the South my husband just has to phone the Council and they tell him what day to put his full bin out in the porch and they collect it and leave him a replacement.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
hi all im in scotland & i used 2 use a large sharps bin which i got frm my gp surgery, last wk when i took it bac up 2 b replaced with new 1 i was told they no longer exchange these bins & i was 2 take it 2 pharmacy which i did only 2 b told by 3 different pharmacys that they dont accept the large 1s but eventually under duress 1 did take it & my usual pharmacy then told me that all they can give me is a small 1 which id no option but 2 take but i think it very shocking bein on 5 jags a day & also testin my blood up2 6 times a day that i can only get the small 1 which is only goin 2 last a month if that, has ne1 else avein same problem??????
How many lancets and needles do you need to use :eek: I lancet will last a year so that takes no space. Do you change your needle every time as well? Must admit I just changed my needle/syringe once a week before going on a pump.

S

Shar67

How many lancets and needles do you need to use :eek: I lancet will last a year so that takes no space. Do you change your needle every time as well? Must admit I just changed my needle/syringe once a week before going on a pump.
You are supposed to use a new one every time to stop lumps forming, every time you use a sharp the end gets more blunt, so will become painful

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You are supposed to use a new one every time to stop lumps forming, every time you use a sharp the end gets more blunt, so will become painful
I survived for 43 years using injections this way including huge harpoons and glass syringes without a problem for at least 20 years :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I survived for 43 years using injections this way including huge harpoons and glass syringes without a problem for at least 20 years :)
That's great, but most people will find a blunt needle/lancet painful. Everyone is different.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great, but most people will find a blunt needle/lancet painful. Everyone is different.
You are right if it's blunt but I use mine for a whole day and it's as good at the end as at the beginning. Don't forget the needle manufactuers have an interest in selling more and getting more money from the NHS. For those who haven't tried it it's worth using the same one for day and seeing what you find.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You are right if it's blunt but I use mine for a whole day and it's as good at the end as at the beginning. Don't forget the needle manufactuers have an interest in selling more and getting more money from the NHS. For those who haven't tried it it's worth using the same one for day and seeing what you find.
That's true. I was just concerned for any newbies reading this, as they may have found that an old needle hurts more, and I wanted to reassure them that that's perfectly normal. I think people who don't find an old needle painful are lucky and in the minority. I didn't realise an old needle can become blunt and cause pain until I read it on a thread here. I then changed to a new one and found it much better. So I am just trying to help people minimise the discomfort if they are like me and quite sensitive.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Down here in the South my husband just has to phone the Council and they tell him what day to put his full bin out in the porch and they collect it and leave him a replacement.
I was in rye east sussex and I had to leave mine behind a bush at the back of my house.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I haven't filled my 2nd small bin yet but I'm hoping in the Sunderland area they will take 3 at a time. I'm generous with my lancets but I never not change my needle. I don't want bruising on my stomach incase of insulin absorption problems.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My O/H's large bin used to last him ages but since I've been doing low carb and testing so frequently it's filling up at a rate of knots lately :D

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i need 2 use 5 needles a day 4 injctions never used 1 2x as yrs ago i used 2 & ended up wi lumps ect also use up2 6 lancets a day

M

mammamia2006

I stay in Aberdeen & most of the chemists here will take full bins and give out new ones. They are either really good here or are sick of me moaning at them lol