Contour Next USB - Broken?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey y'all

Plugged my meter into my laptop and as usual it switched on automatically. I then had to go out in a hurry and shut the lap top over (no power supply but plenty of battery). I was gone for about 2 hours and when I came back the meter was off. It now won't switch on! I thought it might have just run out of battery but I've had it plugged back into the laptop for an hour now and still nothing - and I don't have a spare meter :(

Any suggestions as to what's happened?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you not have the wall charger too? If you do try using that to see if it charges the battery and brings the meter back to life.

btw, you should always have a spare meter, if not two.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate the helpful bit so we'll so if the wall charger has any effect

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd try the wall charger.

Don't know what the hard reset is on the contour.

Try holding down the lower key for 15 seconds whilst plugged..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I appreciate the helpful bit so we'll so if the wall charger has any effect

Its worth a try in case there's a problem with the USB Port on your laptop, however Bayer are really good and will get you a replacement meter out within the next day or two, ring your clinic up in the morning and ask them for a meter to tide you over and to keep as a spare.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate the advice - I really do - but I know what I 'should' have and I know how/where to get a new meter tomorrow etc. etc.:) but I appreciate where you're coming from.

I'm simply looking for a way to get this one working again tonight.

So far wall charger is having no impact but we'll see how it goes . . . thanks for the reset info - I'll give it a google and see what I can find on that.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hey y'all

Plugged my meter into my laptop and as usual it switched on automatically. I then had to go out in a hurry and shut the lap top over (no power supply but plenty of battery). I was gone for about 2 hours and when I came back the meter was off. It now won't switch on! I thought it might have just run out of battery but I've had it plugged back into the laptop for an hour now and still nothing - and I don't have a spare meter :(

Any suggestions as to what's happened?
It's just a thought, but are you sure the on off switch is ok? I ask because one of my meters can be a pain in the b*m to turn on some times perhaps try holding down the button for 10 sec then again and see if that works.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate the advice - I really do - but I know what I 'should' have and I know how/where to get a new meter tomorrow etc. etc.:) but I appreciate where you're coming from.

I'm simply looking for a way to get this one working again tonight.

So far wall charger is having no impact but we'll see how it goes . . . thanks for the reset info - I'll give it a google and see what I can find on that.

OK, so you tried "switching it off & on again."

Have you tried inserting a test strip?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried all of those things yes, I did all of those things before I posted - nothing is turning the **** thing on lol. I only post such things as a last resort, not as a first option if that makes sense?

So yes, I know I 'should' have a spare meter and yes I tried a test strip (how I found out it wasn't working in the first place) and all the other usual trouble shooting stuff. I get why you're pointing those things out though.

Wall charging hasn't done anything which is quite odd.

Phoned a local pharmacy who were open until 8pm to see if they would provide me with a meter - as expected they said I would have to buy one but they didn't have one which uses the same test strips so I had to buy one that contained a pack of 10 strips - nowhere near enough to see me through until Bayer sort me a new meter but hey.

Only to get home and find out that the meter wouldn't work - it wouldn't even turn on. Oh the irony!

Phoned my local hospital to see what my options were - transferred to A&E who said they don't have access to any equipment like that etc. etc. and they told me to phone 111. I know it's not as straightforward as this but I did enquire as to why they couldn't access such things when they are in the same hospital as my Diabetes team. "That department is closed and locked up so we can't get in there, we're A&E" just seemed a bit lame, but I get why they can't access an outpatient dept.

So I phoned 111 as they suggested and they wanted to send me to an out of hours GP 7 miles away to get it all sorted. At the last minute I checked to see if they would be able to supply me with a meter at which point I was transferred to a senior nurse who explained that No, they wouldn't. She insisted that I must go as 'you need to have your blood sugar tested now' and to provide me with a care plan to see me through the night . . . . . . . . She was trying her best but I politely declined. After 30yrs of diabetes I know how to get through a night - what I needed was access to a meter that allows me to test before bed and before I drive to work in the morning etc.

In the end I took a swig of Lucozade just to make sure and took a drive to a 24hr Asda and get a new battery for the new meter - 7.7 says the new meter (Accu-check mobile). Low considering I took 2 units less of novorapid at dinner than I should've and I'd taken that gulp of Lucozade.

Sugar levels have been falling all day - despite cutting back on insulin and taking on extra carbs - hence my desire to get a meter tonight.

Thanks for your input

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried all of those things yes, I did all of those things before I posted - nothing is turning the **** thing on lol. I only post such things as a last resort, not as a first option if that makes sense?

So yes, I know I 'should' have a spare meter and yes I tried a test strip (how I found out it wasn't working in the first place) and all the other usual trouble shooting stuff. I get why you're pointing those things out though.

Wall charging hasn't done anything which is quite odd.

Phoned a local pharmacy who were open until 8pm to see if they would provide me with a meter - as expected they said I would have to buy one but they didn't have one which uses the same test strips so I had to buy one that contained a pack of 10 strips - nowhere near enough to see me through until Bayer sort me a new meter but hey.

Only to get home and find out that the meter wouldn't work - it wouldn't even turn on. Oh the irony!

Phoned my local hospital to see what my options were - transferred to A&E who said they don't have access to any equipment like that etc. etc. and they told me to phone 111. I know it's not as straightforward as this but I did enquire as to why they couldn't access such things when they are in the same hospital as my Diabetes team. "That department is closed and locked up so we can't get in there, we're A&E" just seemed a bit lame, but I get why they can't access an outpatient dept.

So I phoned 111 as they suggested and they wanted to send me to an out of hours GP 7 miles away to get it all sorted. At the last minute I checked to see if they would be able to supply me with a meter at which point I was transferred to a senior nurse who explained that No, they wouldn't. She insisted that I must go as 'you need to have your blood sugar tested now' and to provide me with a care plan to see me through the night . . . . . . . . She was trying her best but I politely declined. After 30yrs of diabetes I know how to get through a night - what I needed was access to a meter that allows me to test before bed and before I drive to work in the morning etc.

In the end I took a swig of Lucozade just to make sure and took a drive to a 24hr Asda and get a new battery for the new meter - 7.7 says the new meter (Accu-check mobile). Low considering I took 2 units less of novorapid at dinner than I should've and I'd taken that gulp of Lucozade.

Sugar levels have been falling all day - despite cutting back on insulin and taking on extra carbs - hence my desire to get a meter tonight.

Thanks for your input

Did you mention "Accu-Chek Mobile" ? 2 Standard AAA batteries & run on special "cassettes".. The cassette boxed with the meter has 25 test worth from memory.. Though as standard, the cassette holds 50.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Bayer are normally PDQ with things - especially in a situation like yours. Scary though not having a meter so, although we all know what we should do, I feel for you. Hope you're ok.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bayer were very good actually - 2 meters on their way to me without question and a stamped envelope to return the broken one. Very pleased with how they handled it.

Reactions: 4 people