Hypos at 15 weeks

jade88

Hi all - I'm currently 15+4 and experiencing daily hypos upon waking and between breakfast/lunch. My DSN has got me to reduce my background insulin but doesn't seem to make a difference!
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this - I thought by now my resistance would have kicked in by now and starting to worry something is wrong! xxx

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jade! I missed your post from July saying you were pregnant again, that's so exciting!!! Huge congratulations to you, am really pleased for you.
Yes i had lots of hypos at different stages in my pregnancy, and remember getting quite a lot in the 2nd trimester. My insulin requirements didn't increase until about 18-20 weeks so really don't worry about things, am sure you're doing fine. How're you feeling otherwise? Am so pleased for you!
xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry - it doesn't sound strange at all. I got hypos later than that in pregnancy. The frequent ones stopped around 25wks, I think (can't remember exactly) but I still had them sometimes due to the tight control.

My BS was lowest in the mornings too. I remember sitting at work constantly eating sweets! I used to wake with low sugars too. What I did was set an alarm for 2 or 3am, do a blood test and have Lucozade and a little snack if necessary. This helped a bit.

I'm on a pump - are you?

jade88

Hi Azure, thanks it's reassuring to know this has happened to others! I'm not on pump but have tightened my control a lot since conceiving which my DSN thinks might be why I'm having so many hypos! It's mad if my bloods were high I'd be panicked too was just worried because read that resistance to insulin starts after 12 weeks when placenta kicks in - I know I need to chill just so worried all the time about every little thing! xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read that too, but my DSN said it was more like 18-20weeks. But I still got paranoid at 12 weeks! The biggest amount of insulin resistance is in the 3rd trimester - I had to increase my insulin by a large amount then. Even then I still had the odd hypo eg if I miscalculated my bolus fir a meal.

I think pregnancy is a worrying time for any woman, but when you're diabetic it's doubly worrying! I don't think my worry ever really went away completely. But I did enjoy my pregnancy hugely :)

Bear in mind that no woman can exactly match her insulin to her needs because they're forever changing in pregnancy! It sounds like you're doing really well :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey jade .

It sounds like your doing amazingly well , and sounds very normal like everyone has said above .
It's natural to worry about every little thing when pregnant and managing your diabetes , the only thing I can suggest is what worked for me ( not necessarily going to work for others ) but also like you dropping the insulin didn't always work for me at certain stages during pregnancy I would end up having to have a tiny tiny snack to just keep my levels up so I didn't drop between certain meals and that seemed to do the trick I used to have a drop of milk when I fount the pattern when I was dropping .
It is a hard experience as you want to get everything right , like I said really is normal to be having hypos and expect them for some time here and there I'd only ever question hypos ( not the odd few ) but when your having them really frequently is if you was in the third trimester and experience them .
Can't believe your already 15 weeks very very exciting , good luck
xxx

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
All my hypos were in my first/second trimester. Once i got to 25 weeks they spiked haha!

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 16+5 and still having 1-2 hypos a day. I'm still reducing my basal rates every day. I too am wondering when the resistance will kick in but I'm thankful that it hasn't yet :happy:

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 25 weeks now and my resistance has just barely started to kick in. I like my doctor but she keeps saying, "You'll experience x at y weeks" and my body has been doing it's own thing. First it was "You'll have lots of lows when you first find out you're pregnant" but I spiked up until about 8 weeks. The latest was "you'll find this current time to be your most steady", but I found weeks 14-22 to be the best so far. I've been swinging a lot and having to slowly increase my rates the past 3 weeks.

nmb264

I'm 20 weeks and have only just stopped the hypos but I've seen a slight increase in bgs now so will be keeping an eye on what's happening next!!!