Newbie Type 2

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Chrissy

Yes, it was a shock for me, but I'm starting to get used to the idea that I need to sort this out. I've got a doctors appt tomorrow at 9.30am and the DN on The 27th. I guess the doctor will go through my results from the glucose test I had. I have found everyone I have come into contact with, so helpful and supportive. I'm doing a shop tomorrow. Our nearest Aldinis Brighton, were closer to Lidless, so I'll nip in there. Have you got a glucose meter yet? I'll get one from Amazon - SD Codefree, apparently, they are the cheapest for the strips.

Good luck with your appointment

ChrissyB57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kim, the doctors surgery that I am registered at seem to be really good, I am in Cornwall, I have been going every other day to check my blood pressure, the result I had on Friday has started to come down a little, I had another load of bloods done on Friday to check for any other problems and I will see the doctor on Wednesday. I have found that around a couple of hours after taking my morning metformin I start to feel sickly, I have cut out carbs, I never did have a sweet tooth so the sugar side is not a problem for me. I have lost 4lbs since Wednesday and no longer have that bloated feeling that I used to get after I had eaten bread, so I really think the low carb diet is good for me. I did find the first few days I seemed to be starving all the time, although I was eating more than I used to beforehand, yesterday was better, had my roast (without the yorkshire pudding, but just had one very small roast potato, which I felt very guilty eating, I love cabbage broccoli and cauliflower so no problem there. I have ordered a glucose monitor from amazon, the SD codefree which I am hoping will be delivered today, as like you I am not going to sit back and let this take over my life. I see on the news today the announcement about obesity and diabetes, according to my BMI I am 2lbs overweight, not obese at all, but this has only accumulated around my belly area, the rate the weight is falling off with the low carb diet I would say I would be within my ideal weight in around a week or so. My family were very shocked to find out, I have quite a stressful job, and because of the stress at work I went to the doctors and they tested my blood sugar, I don't know how long I have been diabetic for, I had my gall bladder taken out 4 years ago, so don't know if this is linked, my doctor did bring this up, and thought that this may be the case, guess I will never know for sure. When I was having gall bladder problems I really could not eat anything at all, I was surviving on a couple of apples a day and my weight was under 7st, which over the last fews years putting on 2 and a half stone would probably seem a shock to my body. I am pretty convinced that I cannot tolerate carbs, just need to adjust now. I am going to take a couple more weeks off work to concentrate on getting back on track and sorting out my health, feel so guilty not going to work, as I have never taken time off sick, but some things like health are far more important. Go get some of that high protein bread from Lidls it really is very good. Stay positive, and hopefully will fight this and live a long healthy life.

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
@ChrissyB57 well done, it sounds like you are doing great! Are you on regular or slow release metformin? The latter can be easier on the stomach. Either way, the side effects may settle soon. Always take it with food.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya Chrissy, delighted that you're putting your wellbeing first and taking time off work. I used to be a Muffin Top (bit of a bulge all the way round at waist level) and decided I might be a toffee (TOFI -- thin outside, fat inside) and that fat was restricting my internal organs. This motivated me to lose the bulge.
I'm sure you're on the right track now. Well done.

ChrissyB57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ChrissyB57 well done, it sounds like you are doing great! Are you on regular or slow release metformin? The latter can be easier on the stomach. Either way, the side effects may settle soon. Always take it with food.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
Hi, I am on regular metformin, it seems to affect me every other day, but only after the morning tablet, I will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks to give it time to settle in.

ChrissyB57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya Chrissy, delighted that you're putting your wellbeing first and taking time off work. I used to be a Muffin Top (bit of a bulge all the way round at waist level) and decided I might be a toffee (TOFI -- thin outside, fat inside) and that fat was restricting my internal organs. This motivated me to lose the bulge.
I'm sure you're on the right track now. Well done.
Hi, I certainly don't have any weight on my arms or legs, in fact I used to think to myself that I am a stomach on legs, and whatever I did I could not get rid of the michelin tyre, my husband always said "you are not fat, you have had 4 children you can't expect to have a flat tummy" but by cutting out the carbs I have really felt that I am losing weight around my middle area, just hope that I don't lose any weight from my arms and legs,

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
LCHF greatly improved my cholesterol and reduced my blood pressure but in my case both of these were just high normal to start with.

Aldi (also Lid) do Milled Linseed with Cranberry and Blueberry which is very handy for low carb breakfast as source of Omega3 and fibre. Peanut Butter is a good snack which is low carb and good for preventing CVD, all peanut butter is pretty much the same Morrisions basic one is pretty good and also cheap.
Aldi do Moser Roth dark chocolate packed in 5x37 gram bars one. bar of which is OK for a treat a roughly 8 grams carbs.

ChrissyB57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF greatly improved my cholesterol and reduced my blood pressure but in my case both of these were just high normal to start with.

Aldi (also Lid) do Milled Linseed with Cranberry and Blueberry which is very handy for low carb breakfast as source of Omega3 and fibre. Peanut Butter is a good snack which is low carb and good for preventing CVD, all peanut butter is pretty much the same Morrisions basic one is pretty good and also cheap.
Aldi do Moser Roth dark chocolate packed in 5x37 gram bars one. bar of which is OK for a treat a roughly 8 grams carbs.
Hi, the Milled linseed with cranberry and blueberry, what is this, is it in the cereal department?

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Yes beside the Museli in a bag. Only trouble is It seems to mostly disappear in milk.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Chrissy and Kim, welcome :)

Apart from the above good advice, you might be interested in some of the links in my sig below.