Hypo,then meal, then what?

KowsarI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Recently the number of hypos i've been testing have increased. When they happen its usually at a time am eating a meal. So i eat my meal which does bring it up to the normally range, but then i get confused in whether i should inject or not. If i don't inject my next reading would be high, about 13mmol plus. But if i do i experience another hypo.
My hypos have been really weird lately and i have been diabetic for a long time so it did freak me out.
If you do experience the same thing, please don't be scared to get in contact!
Thank you, kowsar.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @KowsarI ,

How long has this been going on, and what's your insulin regime?

KowsarI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @urbanracer
About a week and a half now in the last 3 consecutive days i have had hypos. Sorry what do you mean by insulin regime?
I inject 4/5 times a day, on novorapid and lantus at night.

jgordon5

Hi,
Recently the number of hypos i've been testing have increased. When they happen its usually at a time am eating a meal. So i eat my meal which does bring it up to the normally range, but then i get confused in whether i should inject or not. If i don't inject my next reading would be high, about 13mmol plus. But if i do i experience another hypo.
My hypos have been really weird lately and i have been diabetic for a long time so it did freak me out.
If you do experience the same thing, please don't be scared to get in contact!
Thank you, kowsar.
Sometimes I've had that experience, usually when I'm about to get a cold or something. My BS goes much lower than usual.

But at other times if I'm having a lot of hypos at meal time, I work out how much novorapid I will need for the meal, taking into account the low BS. For instance, if I'm 3 at meal time, I might have to have a date before I eat the meal just to get the BS up a bit, then if I was having 50 carbs in the meal, instead of injecting 4/5 units of novorapid I would only have 2/3 units. Then I would be about right after my meal. It's tricky because, as you know, just when you think you've got your insulin and BS sorted, it changes!

Last edited by a moderator:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
having a hypo just before meals means that your insulin/carb ratio from the previous meal is a bit too high........only though if it happens continuously

so usually a standard insulin/carb ratio may be 1 unit for every 10g of carb.....

when this happens to me I would treat with the normal recommended amount of quick acting carbs [15-20g], then inject as normal......

you can be confident that there is no more novorapid working by the time your next meal has come around so its just a case of falling that wee but too short from target......

Reactions: 2 people