Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi all,
I am type 2 and was diagnosed in 1989.

My Hba1c hovers around 45-50. My GP is quite happy with this, I would like it lower. The only medication that I take for my diabetes is 50mg of Sitagliptin.
In May this year I developed the ear infection from hell !! I went on holiday early June and had to visit the local GP twice and hospital once. I was given various antibiotic tablets, sprays and drops , to no avail.
When I returned home, I went to my GP , she sent me straight to hospital, I was monitored for 10 days in outpatients and then on my last visit the consultant admitted me stating that I had developed Malignant Otitis Externa. I had a CT scan within an hour and they said that the infection was in the bone near my ear canal. I was on IV antibiotics for 7 days. My ear is thankfully clearing up, but my other ear has started now, I have drops hopefully this will clear the problem.
I went to my GP last week and asked for my Sitagliptin to be increased she said it wasn't necessary.
On Thursday I went for my eye check up at the local hospital, I knew that I had Macular Oedema in my left eye, I was told on Thursday that this was also in my right eye.

Can I ask a question please ? Should my GP be looking into increasing my medication?

Sorry for the long post.

Bernie

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do your blood sugar readings suggest you need to?

I don't think your ear infections or eye issues would be directly linked to your dose of Sitagliptin......

are they?

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,
Both problems are linked to diabetes apparently, would it not be better for me to have medication to help reduce my BS ?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I suggest you get a second - or third opinion.

Improved control will almost certainly improve your condition.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I didn't think they were directly related..........of course they could be contributed to by higher blood sugars........I tend to assume things are unrelated until proven.........;)

how have the blood sugars been either daily or when you get the check ups........?

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Sorry, I didn't think they were directly related..........of course they could be contributed to by higher blood sugars........I tend to assume things are unrelated until proven.........;)

how have the blood sugars been either daily or when you get the check ups........?
I will be having a HBA1con Thursday, hopefully they will prove my point. Thanks for your reply.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. An HBa1C of 45-50 is fairly good but it might be nice to get it below 45. Any reason why you are not on Metformin as well as the Sitagliptin? I thought 100gm was the standard Sitagliptin dose? It was when I had it 3 years ago but it may have changed.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi. An HBa1C of 45-50 is fairly good but it might be nice to get it below 45. Any reason why you are not on Metformin as well as the Sitagliptin? I thought 100gm was the standard Sitagliptin dose? It was when I had it 3 years ago but it may have changed.
Hi can't tolerate metformin, I didn't want to take gliclazide as it can drop blood sugars like a stone and my GP would only give me 50mg of Sitagliotin, I am trying to get 100 mg like everyone else x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi can't tolerate metformin, I didn't want to take gliclazide as it can drop blood sugars like a stone and my GP would only give me 50mg of Sitagliotin, I am trying to get 100 mg like everyone else x

What's your diet like Bernie? Having read the forum for some time, I reckon the best way to get blood scores down is by tweaking diet a bit, if there's room for it.

On an aside, your bloods may have been a bit higher than normal due to your very nasty infection. Often that sends things north, s your GP may want to see how things settle now your ear is a bit better. Do you have any ongoing treatment for that?

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,I eat little and often. Big meals are not me I eat salads, bbqs Fish the odd few oven chips and. Roast potato some Sunday's I do enjoy a biscuit only one with my mid morning drink. I only eat 1 price of wholemeal bread max. I am careful about free veg as I am on warfarin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,
I am type 2 and was diagnosed in 1989.

My Hba1c hovers around 45-50. My GP is quite happy with this, I would like it lower. The only medication that I take for my diabetes is 50mg of Sitagliptin.
In May this year I developed the ear infection from hell !! I went on holiday early June and had to visit the local GP twice and hospital once. I was given various antibiotic tablets, sprays and drops , to no avail.
When I returned home, I went to my GP , she sent me straight to hospital, I was monitored for 10 days in outpatients and then on my last visit the consultant admitted me stating that I had developed Malignant Otitis Externa. I had a CT scan within an hour and they said that the infection was in the bone near my ear canal. I was on IV antibiotics for 7 days. My ear is thankfully clearing up, but my other ear has started now, I have drops hopefully this will clear the problem.
I went to my GP last week and asked for my Sitagliptin to be increased she said it wasn't necessary.
On Thursday I went for my eye check up at the local hospital, I knew that I had Macular Oedema in my left eye, I was told on Thursday that this was also in my right eye.

Can I ask a question please ? Should my GP be looking into increasing my medication?

Sorry for the long post.

Bernie

I started with sitagliptin on 50gms a day!
My consultant upped my dose, as the low dosage wasn't having the desired effect.
I'm quite happy with the dosage now.
But I have a different condition than you!

The sitagliptin stops me spiking too high and helps with the glucagon and glycogen production in my blood.

Hope you get good results on your hba1c!

G

graj0

How about your daily BG readings, a much better measure of what your BG is doing. As has already been said medication will depend on your BG readings and not an ailment that might be made worse by your BG.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
How about your daily BG readings, a much better measure of what your BG is doing. As has already been said medication will depend on your BG readings and not an ailment that might be made worse by your BG.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I get your point, however I am only allowed 50 test strips per year !!! I know roughly what spikes my BS, I just feel that if my medication were increased my BS would be lower and less likely to cause complications .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I get your point, however I am only allowed 50 test strips per year !!! I know roughly what spikes my BS, I just feel that if my medication were increased my BS would be lower and less likely to cause complications .
Then you need to buy your own test strips, as having one strip a week is basically useless to you. The SD Codefree has the cheapest strips, and there is a discount code you can use when ordering - someone can post it for you if you want.

G

graj0

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Less than one a week, that's almost an insult. I don't get any at all, even though my GP and DN both agree that I should carry on testing. They know that the HbA1c that they seem to go by, despite it not showing peaks and troughs, is only as good as it is because I can keep an eye on my BG most days. I'm lucky to be old and have few outgoings to use up my income.
Unfortunately, the test strip thing has been totally ignored by the powers that be because they don't want to spend the money, they're very keen to remind us diabetics that we use 10% of the money spent of prescriptions.

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
Really a bit of a scary life.
Why you developed ear infection? You should be looking into healthy diet and good exercise plan.