Help! Accu Chek Insight Pump!!

Kim02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi this is my first post as I've just started treatment on this new pump and struggling with all of the instructions. Please help.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kim.
I have been on this pump for 3 weeks. It does take some time to master. If you hold the pump vertically with both hands you can unlock the pump quickly by pressing right and left thumbs alternatively. This way unlocks the pump for me. Good luck.

Kim02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Gemma....It worked!!. I've been pressing the two silver buttons at the top. Can you just use the pump to put blood glucose readings in and carbs, just in case I leave the handheld device at home?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Kim02
welcome to the forum :)
i can't personally help on this one but am tagging some pumpers who may be able to help.

@CarbsRok , @donnellysdogs , @Mrsass .

Can you ring your DSN for some assistance as well ( I realise that is tomorrow )
or worst case scenario can you revert to MDI until you can get sorted out with the pump ??

just hope you are safe ( and keep testing to avoid going too high or low )

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sorry no can help as don't use that pump. First port of call would be your manual and the help line or your DSN.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's 7 accu check insight videos on YouTube giving instructions on giving and altering bolus and basal, changing cartridges and battery.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No you can't tap in blood readings to the pump..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Unlocking the pump has to be done quickly!!

You need to get in to habit of taling handset with you!!

You can bolus from the pump if necessary but best all done on the remote...

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kim
Glad you were able to unlock Pump. Go on You Tube as there are various videos. Some of which I have watched numerous time but they all aren't in English. You must always take your Handset out with you and spare cannula and battery.
Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

Kim02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone.... It seems to be a minefield at the moment. The Animas pump I've been on was so much easier.....It doesn't help that my insulin was changed at the same time

Reactions: 2 people

Saikoudaze

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I use the insight pump. Do you have any specific questions? My nurses sat down with me for hours when I got it and explained everything in detail, did they not do the same for you?

Kim02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi......Thank you for your reply. I have lots of questions. ...... can I use just the pump to put carbs and blood glucose readings in if I leave my handheld at home etc.,

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi......Thank you for your reply. I have lots of questions. ...... can I use just the pump to put carbs and blood glucose readings in if I leave my handheld at home etc.,
You need the handset to calculate carbs.

awiseman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the Insight pump since April, once you get your head around the touch screen and all the functions you will love it!

Kim02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the Insight pump since April, once you get your head around the touch screen and all the functions you will love it!
Hi......can I use a separate blood test meter and input my bg and carbs on the pump only, rather than using the handheld?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi......can I use a separate blood test meter and input my bg and carbs on the pump only, rather than using the handheld?
Try looking in the manual that came with your pump, I'm sure most of your questions will be answered by doing so :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

You can input only the bg and carbs later on to the handset.

There is no way to enter carbs and bg to the actual pump.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I had a separate expert meter that was in my car as a back up. It had all my carb ratios etc listed on it incase I forgot my handset.

You really should never forget your handset though to be honest. Although I had a back up source I never forgot the handset in 5 years of using.

A pump does need more managing than MDI. Same as you should be organised to have spare sets or a tube handy etc...

whitesnake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any problems ring Technical department they are very helpfully and yes you tube is a godsend good luck