Help with Appetite and Controlling Diabetes

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @azure

I've noticed that too, so I might ask my diabetic nurse about the advantages of being on a pump when I see her next week.

That's clever! I try to do the same but just having one or two squares of chocolate, or a few biscuits doesn't always work as it is easy enough to finish the whole bar or eat half the packet of biscuits.

I did attend a carbohydrate counting class, but I decided that I didn't want to do it. I assume that you do?

Thank you for your advice! Everyone so far has been so helpful and I am very grateful

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs

Haha! I'm glad to hear it! Whoever did that sounds horrible though! Diabetic or not, everyone is affected differently by food - although perhaps they were just jealous about the yumyum!

I will try my best, thank you

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi again serajane

Aspartame does cause problems for those people whose bodies are intolerant/sensitive to it. For most people, it doesn't cause problems. It has been extensively researched by experts and found to be safe. (I can provide links to the studies if anyone wants me to). There is a lot of info online for and against it. Luckily I'm one of the people who can tolerate it and I have the occasional diet coke and don't worry too much about it. If you find it doesn't agree with you then yes, you are best to avoid it. But if it doesn't cause problems, then it's one less thing to have to worry about. We have a lot of restrictions already, I'm glad I don't have to deal with this one as well.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes @serajane1996 I count carbs. I've never been in a course. I got given initial info by a dietitian when I was first diagnosed, and have then continued with it ( even when reputable organisations said not to - bugbear of mine! )

It's pretty easy to do and allows you flexibility in what you eat and better control too. You have to be able to carb count to go on a pump.

(I eat all my bar of chocolate too sometimes, but then I don't have any left for other days : D )

Reactions: 4 people

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya! Reading your post was like a flashback for me - I first decided to cut out all those sort of foods too but a year later I said screw if, I'm going to eat all the popcorn, cookies, chocolate I want! I used to go through share bags of chocolate easily and my levels went very high. Please don't think you can't have these foods but like every good thing in life there needs to be moderation. Now I have a dessert after my dinner, things like a custard cream, peanut butter cup, 1/2 oreos and that way we get a treat but also get stable blood sugars too. Good luck xxx

Reactions: 4 people

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@chl0ejasmine

I'm so glad I'm not alone!! Thank you! Since posting on this forum, I've already been better at controlling myself and having small slices of cake instead of two or three, or a bit of chocolate instead of the whole thing. It helps so much and my sugars are much better Thanks!xx

Reactions: 3 people