Petrol Stations

Pozzie

OH and myself had to do a long car journey yesterday to visit relatives. 3 times we stopped off at petrol stations to grab a drink etc.

Why is it these places offer very little in low sugar drinks? The worst offenders seem to be supermarket stations who will display row upon row of sugar filled stuff sometimes several rows of the SAME product, yet wont stock the low sugar equivalent? I love my bottles of low sugar Ribena. There will be 4 rows of full sugar version though!!!
I am sick of a choice of water or diet coke!
Surely such huge chains have the ability to give a choice? I have in the past complained to the managers at various places only to be told they just take what they are given from those who organise the stock.
I am now going to email them all to vent my frustration. It's not just us diabetics who would like the better choices i'm sure.

I feel better now getting that off my chest

gbtyke

A lot of these display units are supplied by the drinks manufacturer on the basis of only filling them with the products that they supply. A rep will come round and remove any non compliant products and restock from their vehicle and charge you their restocking price. So you either buy your own display unit or sell only what they supply.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If I join my Husband in the Pub( a rare event) I find it's the same. Cola or water and I happen to hate colas. Luckily, I can manage with water. On a journey, I often opt for tea.

Sweet3x

lol you should try living in Paris for a while ;)
They seem to think diet drinks of any kind are the work of the devil. You can get any amount of fizzy water, though. I've lost count of the number of times i've been offered OJ as an alternative to 'full fat' coke (as we tend to call it).
Had you considered buying the small bottles of diet drinks from your supermarket, along with a cool bag (you can get small ones, now, not just huge picnic sized bags - marks do a teeny lunch box sized bag for a few £) and using that for any long distance trips?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lol you should try living in Paris for a while
applies even more so in the rest of the country, quite frequenly its a choice of an alcoholic drink, coffee or water.

Spiral

Being a vegetarian, I already restrict my diet. Add to that, the need for drinks and snacks with low carb content :cry:

I have found I have had to become much more organised about eating and drinking when I'm out :? I used to just grab a packet of crisps off the display stand. At least I can tolerate a diet coke, although I think my consumption of that is probably less than a can equivalent a month.

I'm also very fussy about my tea (i don't think they make it with boiling water a lot of the time), so tend to drink coffee when I'm out. I'm not a coffee drinker, but it seems to me to be the lesser of 2 evils. I don't drink fizzy water because it gives me terrible wind.

Not much help to you there, but if you ever travel in Europe, Germany has NO problem with a full selection.

Do not expect it to be at "Netto" prices, but at MOST reasonably sized filling stations you can get your "low sugar" stuff...or "castrated" as my Wife describes it. :lol:

From Lilt, to Fanta, to... well just ask.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Always take at least emergency supplies of what you are going to need with you - you can't rely on buying suitable food & drink wherever you happen to stop. Also you may need to make an unscheduled stop for tiredness, etc.

I carry a flask & tea.

Spiral

Sweet3x said:
(i don't think they make it with boiling water a lot of the time)

Yay! Someone that agrees with me! :D

I had some very traumatic news today at work.

We have small kitchen areas serving over 50 people (when we are all in) and there is a water heater on the wall for tea and coffee. It isn't boiling water :? however much the facilities manager says that it is :roll:

There is also a kettle. I recently found out that we have the kettle because one of my colleagues, who is partially sighted, can't safely use the heater on the wall. I found out today that her team is being relocated :shock: the kettle will be going :shock: