How much alcohol does everyone drink?

gayoc

500 ML is just normal for a diet everyday. This could provide your calorie needs better and easier. Anyway, that is a great reason for drinking alcohol.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before being diagnosed two weeks ago with t2, I enjoyed a good drink, polish off a bottle of vodka in a night, can I still do this?

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I manage fine without any alcohol - have done so for about 30 years. Just my choice - no medical or psychological reason. Quite happy with my Asda Diet Cream Soda :)

Reactions: 2 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only drink tea, water and a couple of fresh berry smoothies a week. Never liked alcohol very much and just stopped drinking it several years ago. I actually feel sorry for recovering alcoholics as our social culture revolves around booze - I've been invited to places where the host is mortified that I am happy with a glass of water - one comment "There is something wrong with you!" really? I'm not the one who needs a drink! ;)
My friends husband who is diabetic liking the occasional beer discovered that most brewers are adding in all sorts of other sugars that were aggravating condition, he found a German brew, if anyone wants to know the brand I'll ask him.

Reactions: 4 people

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't drink alcohol before being diagnosed. I drink robinsons Apple and blackcurrant squash, or sainsburys diet lemonade with diet vimto in. When out either diet coke if I know it's in a bottle or a glass of tap water to which I squirt in squash.

Funfly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife and I share a bottle of red or white wine most evenings with our evening dinner.
Possibly a bit too much but we enjoy life.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before being diagnosed two weeks ago with t2, I enjoyed a good drink, polish off a bottle of vodka in a night, can I still do this?
You know the answer as well as I do but I can't stop altogether so I've decided vodka is better than cider, lager and beer. I try to restrict myself to one bottle on a Saturday, not always successful

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink Taittinger on birthdays, anniversary etc but otherwise keep clear since diagnosis. I don't want to burden my liver with processing anything it doesn't need to, so that's also why I don't eat food with additives.

Additionally, my husband has a bit of a drinking problem and knocking back red wine would just encourage him, even if it was good for my heart and BG.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I drink Taittinger on birthdays, anniversary etc but otherwise keep clear since diagnosis. I don't want to burden my liver with processing anything it doesn't need to, so that's also why I don't eat food with additives.

Additionally, my husband has a bit of a drinking problem and knocking back red wine would just encourage him, even if it was good for my heart and BG.
I only really drink red wine on two occasions, when its my birthday, and when its not my birthday!!!

Reactions: 10 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep Red wine it's not just for breakfast anymore!!!!!!
As a teenager in South of France me and my Pa would go to the co-op at Cuers and buy wine from a pump. Any day he wasn't driving Pa would have a glass with breakfast !

FlopsyMopsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a couple of glasses of white wine with dinner most nights. My diabetes nurse used to talk to me as if I was an alcoholic. I don't think it hurts with food. I like a glass of red on occasion or a glass of champagne or prossecco sometimes. Why not?

thane768

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
I used to have about half bottle red wine on weekends but my doctor suggested to control it to no more than two glasses per day initially - but sometimes it's hard to keep track of! So far I'm managing fine and haven't noticed any side effects ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I enjoy wine. A lot. I try and not drink it during the week as I have to get up far too early, but at the weekends it's a free for all!

Reactions: 6 people

vicky61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cut down on my drinking after Christmas/new year time 2014/2015, unless we go to partys etc I still have had a drink, which is normally lager. I had a scan on my liver in maybe February this year and its fatty, so the doc suggested I cut down on alchohol, although id already cut down from having a couple of cans a night to maybe 3 cans a week. Now I have 2 cans a week. After being told im diabetic last week, and were going to a wedding on Sunday, I will be drinking, but will limit myself and maybe drink dry wine as suggested on here. I have also read and known people who have been diabetic and drank Pils lager, does anyone know if that's okay to have still.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I cut down on my drinking after Christmas/new year time 2014/2015, unless we go to partys etc I still have had a drink, which is normally lager. I had a scan on my liver in maybe February this year and its fatty, so the doc suggested I cut down on alchohol, although id already cut down from having a couple of cans a night to maybe 3 cans a week. Now I have 2 cans a week. After being told im diabetic last week, and were going to a wedding on Sunday, I will be drinking, but will limit myself and maybe drink dry wine as suggested on here. I have also read and known people who have been diabetic and drank Pils lager, does anyone know if that's okay to have still.
I would say no, have a short with a diet mixer, or a few glasses of red wine with ur meal its much better for u

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't drink any, I tried it once had three pints which is nothing compared to my usual night of drinking and it was affecting my blood sugar almost a day later. So I've given up on the alcohol saving myself a lot of money :)

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the best alcohol vodka and diet mixer? Anyone tested with coors as that seems to be lower carb