Freestlye Libre

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been looking online and carried out a search on here but cant find a clear answer to the my question, which is;

does the Libre record blood glucose readings automatically overnight, so no manual scanning....?

if not, how do people get a continuous set of readings throughout the night?

thanks.........

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's not a CGM, you have to scan the sensor in order to get a reading.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
right...........

so in order to get a picture overnight it would need to be scanned manually.....?

if the reader is somehow secured next to the sensor overnight, would the scans take place automatically....?

im trying to justify getting one for basal testing......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It does need to be scanned manually, not too sure about it working if you have the scanner secured next to the sensor so hopefully others will advise there.

I was offered one back in March but declined after reading about all the problems people were having with the accuracy and the sensors becoming detached, but will certainly will be interested again once they get these teething problems sorted for the reasons that you state............basal testing.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have the Libre CGM and the sensor records readings every 15 minutes 24/7. In the morning I attach the reader to the pc and see all my overnight readings whilst asleep.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been looking online and carried out a search on here but cant find a clear answer to the my question, which is;

does the Libre record blood glucose readings automatically overnight, so no manual scanning....?

if not, how do people get a continuous set of readings throughout the night?

thanks.........

As June says, the monitoring is continuous, with data saved and a tiny graph mapped on the read on an ongoing basis. The reader will allow one to scroll back through all the scans one has done, but to get the full, 15 minute intervals data, one has to download it, using the Abbott supplied software.

The Abbott software provides various basic graphs and summaries, but the underlying data is manipulable, using Excel or such like. The overnight stuff is particularly enlightening.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sensor automatically records up to 8 hours of glucose levels, so as long as you do a manual scan at least every 8 hours you will have a 24/7 record. I normally end up with gaps when I have a lie-in, but try to remember to scan if I wake up in the night for the loo :)

Personally, I haven't had problems with skin irritation or sensors coming loose (apart from when I was rushing to go out and my skin was still a bit damp from the shower, and once on a really humid day where again my skin wasn't properly dry)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
To add to what @AndBreathe has said, when you download the data to the pc you can see your actual bg numbers in mmols. Very useful...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
so it does scan on its own at regular intervals.......

what about the distance between the reader and sensor......?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
The distance between the two makes no difference. It's the sensor that's doing all the work. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm guessing everytime you scan, the reader picks up all the sensor readings between scans and stores them which you can then view in detail when you attach the reader to the pc.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The sensor records readings at regular intervals and can store eight hours of data. The scanner then captures what has been stored when you bring it close and gives you an interpreted current reading.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks you, its clear now...........and it means that i can get a good set of readings overnight.......and during the day too.........

not to see if they are in stock.....

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
You will find you have to go on a waiting list. I had to wait 4 months, but hopefully Abbott have been able to shorten that now.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm into my 5th month and still waiting.
Sorry to hear that, but it'll be worth the wait. Btw, once you have one and are registered with Abbott, you are then allowed to order 2 sensors every two weeks, although you only need 2 sensors per month. It appears that the readers are in short supply, not the sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just reading this thread, I registered 4 months ago, so am eagerly awaiting an email.......now it could be 5 months! I'm off to find a very tall building to jump off - lol, can't stand the waiting!

The factory where this machine is made is not that many miles away from me, might just make a visit (late night with stocking over my head if I have to!)

jgordon5

I have the Libre CGM and the sensor records readings every 15 minutes 24/7. In the morning I attach the reader to the pc and see all my overnight readings whilst asleep.

Started asking questions and then read the second page where they're all answered!
I've been waiting for nearly 4 months. ...

Do all of you who are using the Libre find that the BS readings are accurate compared with the meter you were using previously?