VICTOZA users

chell1981

Re: Victoza

Thankyou, i'm new to all this have never had to inject or anything before so am a little nervous to say the least but i know that if it helps then its all good,

one thing i did sort of query with the pharmacist was whether i needed a blood glucose machine, the consultant hasnt mentioned this once to me, would i need to get one or do i get given one on prescription? i really havent a clue and dont think things have been explained to me very well at all

babbettes

yes i think it would be advisable to have a testing machine as ive had quite a few hypos but i am on insulin as well.
dont worry about injecting it is such a small needle and if i can do it anyone can.and i do it 4 times a day.
please let me know if your worried about any thing im always near my computer

chell1981

Well have been on it since Last Thursday now, havent heard back from the doc with regards to monitoring blood sugars so am just going with the flow now, luckily i'm not experiencing any side effects at all but then am only on 0.6mg at the moment, on thursday i go up to 1.2mg, have certainly noticed a drop in my apetite since i started it, the first couple of days only managing small meals so i guess thats what its intended to do.

Chell

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Chell.

When you say 'going with the flow''. I hope you mean you have got yourself a meter and test strips.
There is no way you can know what is happening to your Bg levels on a daily basis otherwise !

As with Carol if you can keep us updated here as to your progress and/or any setbacks ? It is new to us all so we are very interested in what you both have to say.

Ken.

chell1981

Hi

I have been in touch with my consultant this morning with regards to measuring blood sugar levels and he's on holiday but his secretary did say that if he wanted me to monitor them he would have told me i needed to get a machine and do it, at the moment i havent got a machine to measure my blood sugar levels and as this is all new to me i'm not really sure what i'm supposed to do now, she said as long as i dont run into problems the consultant will prob take bloods next time i am in clinic.

Will def keep you updated of any developments,

Chell

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Chell.

Just go and buy a meter and strips. Get a head start before your next visit. Do you really take Diabetic advice from the Secretary..... ? :?

Ken

babbettes

it wouldnt hurt to buy yourself a testing machine as the victoza will affect your sugars have been on 1.6 since saturday no ill effects at all doing well have had to put the amount of insulin i take down which isnt a bad thing but doing good :)

chell1981

I wouldnt have a clue where to buy one from, how much they cost or which one i need, let alone how to use one....... it seems i haven't really been given the appropriate advise thats needed from the consultant, he just gave it me said inject it once a day!

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Chell.

You can buy them from any good Pharmacist along with the strips. Once you have got one then just follow the instructions. We can advise when and how to test. The biggest expense is the strips so if you can get them on prescription so much the better. Any meter will do, they are all pretty much the same and built to the same standards. Just choose one that suits you, clear display, compact. that sort of thing. You will need lancets for the finger pricking as well.

I use 2 meters, an Accu-Chek Aviva and an Ascencia Breeze 2. Both very good. I get my strips on prescription when I need.

It is confusing but it is par for the course. Most people don't get told much. They usually find out from here.

Ken.

chell1981

ok i'll pop to the chemist this afternoon and have a look what they have, do all the stips fit any machine or is it sepcific strips for specific machines?

what should my blood sugars be? this i havent a clue....

how often do i have to test them?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Chell.

The strips are machine specific. The Pharmacist should be able to advise you.

I need to know if you are a T1 or T2 as the numbers are slightly different ?

You need to test on waking, then before meals, then 1 and 2 hrs after meals. One before bedtime would help as well. You will only have to do this for a couple of weeks to make sure you know what your Bg levels are. At the same time keep a food diary so you can see what certain foods are doing to your Bg levels.

Ken.

babbettes

you will get all that info with the machine just ask your doctor for prescritions for the needles and test strips the info on what to have priscribed will be on the how to use info leaflet

mammacaz

Liraglutide - anyone else trialling?

Hiya,
I would be interested in conversing with anyone else who is on the trial for Liraglutide, the nurses and staff are great but 'not diabetic' and although they understand the disease in medical terms, they are not 'living' with it. I would like to talk about the side effects etc.,
Thanks one and all :|

Reactions: 2 people

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi mamacaz.

Liralglutide and Victoza are one and the same. Take a look at the previous posts here. They are the other users. I think you are the third ? Feel free to ask any questions you wish. Keep us posted on your experience of the drug ?

Ken.

mammacaz

Hi Guys,

I have been on Liraglutide since May through a drug trial.

I take 1500mg Metformin along with Ezetrol and inject 1.8ml Liraglutide daily.

Well to start with yes there was nausea and when I upped the dose to 1.2ml I was violently
sick and then my lips and face swelled up that people thought I had had lip augmentation, not nice.

Since then I have been sick a few times and I always know when I am going to do so as I get 'Eggy Burps' ugh!

I laughily call it the injectible gastric band as it only allows you to eat a very small amount and then it is like the entrance to the small instestine shuts off and anything that is left in the stomach comes back up within 12 hours and this is includes the trots like you wouldn't believe.

The great thing about it is though that my BG is well down, into the normal range most days.

But there are days that I really feel like c**p and I am wondering if it is worth all the stomach pains
and the constant feeling that my tummy is sore and swollen.

I go back next week for two visits the first one will be where they take a load of bloods which will be analysed for the Friday which is when they will decide whether I continue as I am or they add insulin, the second route is not one I want to go on as I do not want to start taking insulin.

I would like to know what people think not necessarily for advice but your comments would be most welcome especially if you are taking this medication.

The other thing that I am having doubts about is that to start with I lost around 3kgs but now it has stopped and I am having other symptoms that I am a little worried about including neck pains no visible goitre , I am now more constipated something that is not normal for me especially on Metformin, and numbness in my hands similar to rsi.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi all ive just come back from appointment with dsn she has put me on victoza 0.6 for now as byetta didnt agree with me she said hopefully less side effects well its worth giving it a good go as my sugar levels are far too high i have lost 3 and a half stone in 3 months which she was very pleased about (so am i) but it was a very cruel way of loosing it not been able to keep any food down whatsoever on byetta any well here goes will keep you updated bye for now

mammacaz

Good luck Candy - I have not tried Byetta so cannot comment but Victoza is fine and the sugar levels will drop really well.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

thanks for that mammacas i said yes to trying victoza as really my only other option is to go back on insulin which seemed to pile my weight on so its not really what i want as i feel so much better loosing 3 and half stone i hope the victoza has the same effect with my weight lots more to loose im not sure if to read the leaflet when i collect prescription re side effects (victoza) any way hope all goes well with you bye for now :D :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Victoza

I wish I were, but my control's too good even to be considered( HbA1c 5.4%). I'd love to lose more weight.
My PCT hasn't authorised it either
Best of luck and let us know how you get on
Hana

Sammybee

VICTOZA

Hi!

I have just started taking liraglutide today (0.6). I have been on Byetta for 5 months and couldn't tolerate it. The nausea was permanent and horrendus, ended up going to bed at 8.30 every night!

I am also taking metformin with the liraglutide.

It was interesting to see that someone refered to Victoza as an injectable Gastric Band. Interesting because I do actually have a gastric band. I would love to hear if anyone else has been put on this drug that has a gastric band and to find out if the side effects are any different.