Scared Lost & Confused

staffsbird

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my recent blood test results and been told my hba1c has gone up from 45 in Feb to 58 this time, the doctor wants to increase my medication, I currently take 4x 500mg metformin. At no time has he asked if there is a reason for the sharp increase or done any other tests, I do not test on a daily basis to record my blood sugars. I don't want to increase medication what options do I have.

I know that I haven't been healthy eating as I am so frustrated with all the conflicting advise so have been on a self destruct pattern, now don't know what to do. I leave the house at 5am to go to work so don't put up a packed lunch and as money is tight I tend to pick cheap lunch options rather than healthy options.

Really worried and scared my weight has ballooned from 19st 1lb to 20st 13lbs and not sure if I can reverse the damage, all help and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

cratat
Hi, I was once in the position you are, resulting in receiving lots of conflicting advice struggling with weight and on 3 different lots of tablets for type 2 diabetes control plus injections with levels still spiraling out of control. Also high BP, cholesterol, sleep apnoea and starting to suffer bleeds to the eyes. My last resort was weight loss surgery, I would not advocate this as it is by no means an easy option but it is working for me. My advice to you is get hold of a monitor, keep a check of your levels, see what works for you as everybody is different, get some exercise and do not let yourself spiral totally out of control as I did.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK I'm also confused now. I thought I was supposed to try and eat more fat aswell. I'm sure that's what the original advice I read said. Confused
Fill up on fat until you are satisfied. That is' if you follow the Dietdoc's advice. I do.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think of LCHF as low carb, higher fat. ie higher than the usual dietary advice. I agree with beegee, it means eating full fat yoghurt instead of low fat yoghurt, for example. It does not mean eating a high fat diet.
If you, like me, eat normal amounts of protein and very little carbs then you need to eat quite a lot of fat. In my case around 150-200 grams per day. So yes, Low Carb High Fat actually means exactly that.

staffsbird

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fill up on fat until you are satisfied. That is' if you follow the Dietdoc's advice. I do.
lots of low fat so called healthy alternatives have higher sugar content to replace the flavour of the fats

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If you, like me, eat normal amounts of protein and very little carbs then you need to eat quite a lot of fat. In my case around 150-200 grams per day. So yes, Low Carb High Fat actually means exactly that.
Clearly it means different things to different people, and that's ok. It's why I usually say low carb, higher fat instead of just LCHF. I think if I ate 200g of fat in a day I would be in hospital with severe GERD symptoms.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think when it comes to lchf everyone is different.
I do low carb about 10 to 20g a day and moderate fat so if I have a lidl protein roll I will spread cream cheese on it generously but I wouldn't put butter or cream in everything I eat to make it 100 or 200g of fat a day. And unfortunately even with such a diet I manage to put on some weight. I will not say I don't exercise at all but I don't exercise a lot I would walk about 3 to 4 miles a day and sometimes push it to about 7 to 8 and take a day off on weekend as I workout in garden then. I'd say everyone different so I feel low carb is definitely very important but fat depends on each individual.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think when it comes to lchf everyone is different.
I do low carb about 10 to 20g a day and moderate fat so if I have a lidl protein roll I will spread cream cheese on it generously but I wouldn't put butter or cream in everything I eat to make it 100 or 200g of fat a day. And unfortunately even with such a diet I manage to put on some weight. I will not say I don't exercise at all but I don't exercise a lot I would walk about 3 to 4 miles a day and sometimes push it to about 7 to 8 and take a day off on weekend as I workout in garden then. I'd say everyone different so I feel low carb is definitely very important but fat depends on each individual.
That's a lot of exercise, much more than what I do. Well done!

Emma1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

As a type 2 on Metformin and a whole host of other stuff myself, it never has been enough for me. My last result was over 90, so I am about the same as you.... I am on a lot of other drugs but the dapafligloxin (or capa is the sister drug) is working wonders and although doesnt "aide weightloss" it doesnt add weight (though metformin never has either). Sometimes you need medication, sometimes you are lucky and can get by without it.... don't look at it negatively - see the benefits.

I have totally changed my habits since finding I was type 2, and not because its a weight based disease but because it was a shock to me finding out my pancreas was so utterly damaged by a procedure that I can't even eat fruit without getting sick. Think of this as a wakeup call to remind you of what is actually going on in your body and appreciate how wonderful it is to be here (sounding preachy I know but its taken me a while to get here myself).

Also with the carbs everyone is telling you to cut out - DON'T DO THAT without checking its ok for you and you arent doing more harm than good. My kind of type 2 it is essental that I eat carbs with all 3 meals and 3 snacks each day - it regulates my liver and allows it to function correctly - you just need to make the healthier choices in relation to the carbs you choose. Brown bread instead of white is an easier way to start. New potatoes rather than old potatoes...

I am sure you will do well, you have already identified where you are going wrong so I think you will kick this into touch, so what if you need a little help with medicines along the way, sadly diabetes is a progressive disease, how you handle it is the hard part :)

Reactions: 4 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As some of you know I'm new to this. I have started well on LCHF and now have a meter. I'm not happy about testing, but doing it because I HAVE too. I don't want to get worse.
I'm going to lose weight and take my 2 meds, and I'm looking forward to a healthy diet with new ideas in making meals. I'm treating this as a plus and a change to my current lifestyle, not a challenge. Please listen to all the advice on this thread, I've listen to everyone, they are so supportive. Read about the diabetic complications and ask yourself "do I want these?".

Reactions: 5 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't need to spend a lot of money to be healthy, salads and veg go a long way. Good luck. :)

Kim

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
The OP hasn't replied to any of the excellent posts above. I hope he hasn't been frightened off. This forum is so helpful and when at it's non-judgemental best as today, really friendly and informative.

Do reply and let people help you, it is not a failure to admit to needing help and this is your health we are talking about, so important.

Let us advise you, get a meter, post what you are eating now and we can suggest better alternatives - you are not on your own with this but as has be said previously, you do have to take responsibility for your self.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi,

As a type 2 on Metformin and a whole host of other stuff myself, it never has been enough for me. My last result was over 90, so I am about the same as you.... I am on a lot of other drugs but the dapafligloxin (or capa is the sister drug) is working wonders and although doesnt "aide weightloss" it doesnt add weight (though metformin never has either). Sometimes you need medication, sometimes you are lucky and can get by without it.... don't look at it negatively - see the benefits.

I have totally changed my habits since finding I was type 2, and not because its a weight based disease but because it was a shock to me finding out my pancreas was so utterly damaged by a procedure that I can't even eat fruit without getting sick. Think of this as a wakeup call to remind you of what is actually going on in your body and appreciate how wonderful it is to be here (sounding preachy I know but its taken me a while to get here myself).

Also with the carbs everyone is telling you to cut out - DON'T DO THAT without checking its ok for you and you arent doing more harm than good. My kind of type 2 it is essental that I eat carbs with all 3 meals and 3 snacks each day - it regulates my liver and allows it to function correctly - you just need to make the healthier choices in relation to the carbs you choose. Brown bread instead of white is an easier way to start. New potatoes rather than old potatoes...

I am sure you will do well, you have already identified where you are going wrong so I think you will kick this into touch, so what if you need a little help with medicines along the way, sadly diabetes is a progressive disease, how you handle it is the hard part :)
Many of us don't consider T2 diabetes a progressive disease, because in most cases it is possible to go into remission and delay any progression. The idea that it is progressive (innately, for everyone) is a dated idea that unfortunately sticks around among most health professionals. Many people are showing that long term remission is possible.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, with all the best will and support in the world the OP has to want to help himself. I don't think it's a case of can't because of lack of understanding.

"Really worried and scared my weight has ballooned from 19st 1lb to 20st 13lbs and not sure if I can reverse the damage"

If you don't try you will never be sure, you are just giving yourself an out from trying. Did you know that the liver can regenerate itself, as can other functions within our body. Please, start by reversing negative thoughts into positive ones and the body will follow you. Stay well :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The the OP: if you put in the work, you can reverse at least some, if not all of the damage that diabetes is doing to your body.

If you look up my first post on this forum, you'll find that I was in a very similar state of mind as you are now. I just could not do what I, deep down, knew I should be doing (control my eating), and I didn't know how to get out of this helpless state. Responses to my post helped me feel that I wasn't on my own, and that others have successfully faced and conquered the same obstacle.

I also read two books that helped me. One was by Dr Bernstein, who has lived with T1D for over 50 years, and in that time managed to reverse most of the complications that he'd developed before realising that low-carb is the way to go. The other book was by Gillian Riley, and it made me realise that every time I'd open my mouth to insert food I was making a choice. I could stuff in whatever felt satisfying, regardless of the consequences, or I could make a choice to eat something that would nourish me and help improve my health. That choice is still before me, every time I eat.

So, my advice is, take responsibility for your choices.

There is a lot of help and information on this forum that could make it easier for you. For example, the first week roast a lot of meat/boil eggs/prepare tuna mayo so that any time you feel like comfort eating you'll have something to munch on, and it's easy to pack for lunch too. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

What kind of type 2 diabetes do you have that requires you eat six times per day and a lot of carbs?

My type 2 diabetes is best managed without any medication at all and a very low carb diet. And I only eat twice a day usually. Eating too often is bad for the teeth and spoils your appetite.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
My last result was over 90, so I am about the same as you

Also with the carbs everyone is telling you to cut out - DON'T DO THAT without checking its ok for you and you arent doing more harm than good. My kind of type 2 it is essential that I eat carbs with all 3 meals and 3 snacks each day - it regulates my liver and allows it to function correctly

I've never heard of carbohydrates regulating the liver? Could you explain what you mean? Looking at, what I'm assuming is your HbA1c, I would suggest that you try the advice on here to the OP; no one needs carbohydrates and as a diabetic they are the key macro-nutrient to avoid. Metformin won't do very much to elevated blood sugars. Cutting out carbs will.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Dillinger

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
I have read all the posts and am amazed by the many different opinions but extremely grateful for the advice and have realised that the only one who can help me is me I have reasked forva meter to test and been told again the nhs wont pay as only type 2 I am going to change what I put in my mouth and going to make small changes so these are sustainable. Cutting out the sweets and chocolate will be the hardest as unsure of what to replace these this but I will work on it. Thanks for all the reply's.

Reactions: 10 people

BobCee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will power to stick to a diet and to take relevant exercise is want is really needed. That's not available on prescription and must start at home and all the way in to your life style. It is quite a painful thing to change the way you live but if you want any normal type of life you can not bury your head in the sand.

Last edited by a moderator: