Meal Ideas, please

M

mammamia2006

I have been t1 diabetic forever but recently have been speaking to my t2 mother in law, she is desperate to lose weight.

I have absolutely no idea where to start with LCHF diet and wonder if you could all give me some meal ideas.

Mum in law doesnt eat very much meat or fish (just chicken), doesnt like salad foods or 'rabbit food' as she calls it but she does like some veggies.

VERY fussy but needs all the help she can get. She is 83yrs old and quite active (for her age)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd start by getting a list of all the veggies she will eat and hopefully there will be enough non carby above ground veg to work with. I'd also suggest buying frozen so no waste and no preparation. You can get lots of mixed veg packs now and IMO Iceland is pretty good for both veg, fish and chicken.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Does she like cheese? Full fat cheese is great if you're looking LCHF. And eggs. Lots of eggs.

M

mammamia2006

She can go through a big bag of grated red leicester in about 2 days.

I know she likes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, corn on the cob, carrots, peas, not really sure of anything else though.

Pepsi Max

Cheese on the cauliflower, add butter to the veg when boiling them, chicken breast pizza- just cooked chicken breast with small amount of tomatoe purée on top, grattedcheese & other pizza like toppings, cook in oven, yum...

Pepsi Max

1 other meal I love is pan cooked chicken in olive oil, chopped smokey bacon, mushrooms , a dollop of mascarpone & some grated smokey cheddar cheese... Yum ... You can also substitute mash potatoes with mashed cauliflower

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Corn on the cob is a no - no, its what they make high fructose corn syrup with. Loads of low carb recipes on the web tho.