New Type 1

CLP

I'm yet another new type 1. 36 years old and was quite happily getting on with life when "BOOM", at the end of February I was told I had type 1 diabetes. Was in hospital for a week with ketones and high BG readings. Then let lose in the "real" world.

I'm getting used to the change in my diet but I'd kill for an Indian takeaway! :lol:

Having read through the forums over the past few days there seems to be a lot of practical help and info to be had from fellow "sufferers". In fact I'd say its more practical than you can get from the dieticians and diabetic nurses (although I must say that the diabetic nurse I see is brilliant).

Can someone answer a question for me please. How low does your BG need to drop before you lose consciousness? About 3 weeks ago I dropped to 1.8 (which freaked me out slightly I can tell you!). It was even more worrying as I'd just driven into a motorway services. Looking back I was stupid, I should have pulled over on the side of the road.

Mandarin

I went through a phase about a year and a half ago where I would regularly have 1.8's and once it was too low for my monitor to read (under 1.1). Even with sugars that low I have never lost conciousness during the day The only times that has happened is when I have been low during the night while asleep and unable to take corrective action.
That probably isnt true for all diabetics but what you must make sure of is that AS SOON as you feel a hypo, you must correct it otherwise you will lose sensitivity to it and that is where the biggest risk of losing conciousness lies.
In a way it is good that you were freaked out by it as it will put you in the mind set of trying to avoid it.
I have been diabetic for 8 years now and it is only in the last few months since finding this forum that I have felt that I have had any sort of control over it.
Keep reading and good luck, there are a lot of knowlegable people on this site.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
welcome to the forums CLP,
Type 1 is a bit of a nightmare to deal with at first. Once you get into a routine
and pick up how it all works then it's much easier. You can never eliminate the
highs and lows completely, but they will become less extreme the more
experienced you become.

The lowest reading I've ever had is 1.5. I've always assumed that it's all
over when you get to around zero, although I could be wrong.
It's not a good idea to let your sugars get too low too often because you may
start to loose your awareness of hypos.
It's best to begin with if you underdose on your insulin and then reign it
in gradually as you get use to how different foods and exercise effect things.

all the best,
Tim.

Tattoo azz

Hi congrats on joining the club!
I tend to fit when severely low and become unconcious below abt1.0 ish. This isn't the case for most tho. If i may i'd like to suggest that you test before you drive and NEVER drive for more than two hours without taking a break and re-testing (please don't take this as nagging, its just advice)
I've had t1 for 25 years and have never been hypo whilst driving thanks mainly to the above caution.
Hope this helps
Azz

CLP

Thanks for the replys. What is weird is that on that morning I tested before I started driving (was just after breakfast) and was around 12. It was only 1 1/2 hours later that I dropped to 1.8 :!:

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The lowest I have recorded is about 1.2 and I woke up a bit disorientated. Before driving any distance, I always test beforehand and, if I have any doubt, I eat something. I would rather be a little high than low.

Stopping on the hard shoulder could cause you a problem if the police turn up. I doubt they would worry about incorrect use of the hard shoulder as it something of an emergency, but they can do you for driving under the influence of a drug (insulin in this case). You will have notified the DVLA about your condition and have to apply every 3 years for renewal. The last time I remeber filling in the forms there was the question about suffering hypos whilst driving. So you do need to develop successful strategies for being safe - none of us want to contemplate losing our licence!

I also keep a pack of Lucozade glucose tablets in the car and if I have the slightest doubt I take a couple and check at the first available layby or area.

As you gain experience, you will know when your danger periods are - in my first few years after diagnosis it was mid afternoon.

In terms of having a hypo only 90 minutes after breakfast, this is possible, but normally only if the balance between how much you ate and injected was off by some margin. I now always eat a banana with my breakfast as this digests quite slowly and give a release of glucose pread over quite a time - this has the double benefit of reducing the BG spike after eating and countering the effects of insulin, which, in my case using Novorapid, last at 3 hours.

Bit long - but hope that some of it is helpful.

Nigel

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I think the level at which you lose consciousness varies from person to person. I once got so hypo, I was vomiting, couldn't see properly, couldn't remember my address or simple words like 'spoon' or 'table'. No usual hypo symptoms, thought I was having a stroke. Went to hospital and my BG was so low they said most people would be unconscious at that level, I must have a very low threshold for going under. Didn't tell me the actual reading but it was long before BG machines, only had visual BM sticks, so it wouldn't have been very precise number.

With regards to driving, best to remove keys from ignition, put them on dashboard, then get into back seat while you test/eat/recover. Or get out of car if safe. Then it's clear you were not going to drive whilst hypo. If hypo in front seat with keys handy police may still try to prosecute. Don't drive until about 15 minutes *after* your BG has returned to safe level, your concentration can still be affected during this time.

Sue
Type I for 35 years