Itchy Feet and Hands

meoman

I constantly get itchy/very tender base of feet and more recently palm of hands too. I was told this is related to my diabetes. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cream thst may help (t-tree or something) that may help if I apply it on an as required basis. Probarbly something I can buy over te counter would be easiest.. thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi meoman.

It may or may not be related to Diabetes ? The best thing to do is to discuss this with your GP.

As you are a Diabetic on medication, why spend money on over the counter meds when you can get it for free from your GP. They are usually more effective as well.

Ken.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Guidelines state you should get a booking within 48 hrs. Complain.

Extract from the guidelines:
If your condition is non-urgent, you can expect to see a doctor within two working days. It is essential that you keep appointments and if you can't make sure that you give your GP at least one day's notice.

If urgent you can get an appointment on the day.

Ken.

welshbunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get very itchy palms, would scratch them til they were bright red and sore, I never knew what caused it but I always put something really cold on them when they started to itch and it seemed to help. Perhaps ice packs or if you dont have any, ice cubes in a tea towel. I dont get it any more, again no idea why.

Sorry cant be of more help.

Welshbunny

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi meoman.

I notice from your posts you appear to have had this complaint or something very similar since 2007 ?

If that's the case then you really do need to see your GP, could be Diabetic Neuropathy. Getting worse all the time.

As stated previously it could also be nothing to do with your Diabetes ? There is no way I would recommend anything here. Especially as there is no way of knowing what your condition actually is.

Ask the Pharmacist for advice if you are determined not to see your GP.

Ken.

belinda_b

The guidelines might say that you should see your GP within two days, the reality is often a week, sometimes more....up here anyway

Spiral

If you really want to spend money, I suggest that you see a podiatrist. Not a doctor, but will tell you if you should see a doctor. Diabetic foot care is not something to be trifled with.

Personally, I think you need to see a doctor.

Spiral

Just checked your posts. I am not medically qualified, but you say you are on a lot of medication.

A responsible pharmacist would tell you to see a doctor because you are getting in to the area of drug interactions. When did you last have a medication review?

The discussion about how long it takes to see a doctor is a bit of a red herring. You need to make an appointment.

You could also discuss your symptoms with NHS Direct 0845 4647. I have bypassed the "queues" when my symptoms have concerned the advisors on NHS Direct, you simply need to say what they have said when you call the surgery.

Iain King

If you're unable to get an appointment with your GP, which quite rightly should be within 2 working days, you will also have a GP-Led Health Centre (aka 'Darzi Centre') near you which offers open access to all without the need to register.
At least that way, although you'll be waiting, you'll be seen.