Same story, different face

Philjn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,
I've already "lurked" for a few weeks, reading with great interest and not a little sympathy, some of the varying life trials of so many people with this illness.
My own diagnosis is fairly fresh, Type 2, but after a few months on Metformin, then Gliclazide, I'm now on a once a day Insulin hit.
So far?
Nothing is working.
Still waking, 12 hours after food, and testing at around 11mmol.
Anyways, nice to be here, and hope to fit in without becoming a nuisance

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Philjn. :)

Let me tag @daisy1 for you and she'll be along later with some basic info for you.

How long have you been on insulin? Are the doctors going to review your dose at some point?

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, welcome. First post, big step. You've browsed, now put what you've learned to good use. Don't worry about being a nuisance. Ask lots of questions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Are you following the dietary instructions given to you by your doctor/nurse? If so, and if that is typical of the dietary advice the NHS gives to diabetics, that could be the problem. Have a read round again, and when Daisy arrives with her introduction post, read that carefully about the diet aspects. Perhaps you could give us an example of the type of meals you eat?

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Phil. What is your diet like? Perhaps if you posted a typical day's meals then we might be able to make some suggestions as to how you could reduce your blood glucose levels.

I was diagnosed in April so am new to this long journey too. I have significantly reduced all carbs and am managing to control with diet only.

Reactions: 2 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ps I forgot to say Welcome. And don't worry about being a nuisance, ask as many questions as you need to

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you do have excess weight then the insulin you take may not be being used effectively by the body due to insulin resistance. Do follow the low carb diet other posters have suggested and you should find the blood sugar starts to come down

Philjn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone! Wow... I went off to do a few jobs around the garden.... Never expected such a positive, and numerous, response :)

My diabetic nurse is calling me every 3 days to monitor my readings. So far, in the 10 days I've been on the daily dose of insulin it's been upped from 10, to 16, and today to 20.
I've removed most carbs from my diet ; no more bread, pasta, rice, etc. brought my potato intake down to about a tenth of what it was. I don't eat cakes or biscuits or sweets anyway, so that was no loss. I've had to reduce my beloved 8-10 pieces of fruit per day down to just two. I eat oily fish, fresh vegetables ( love my veggies) ...but...I have other health problems that mean exercise is limited to very short walks.
I'm only at the very start of this lifelong change, so I'm learning....sloooooowly...my diabetes has gone untreated for a good ten years. I was flagged as prediabetic over a decade ago after a 24 hour pre operation fast...and measured back then as 9.3 mmols.
Looks like I've actually left this way, way too long.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome! Better a bit late than never, eh? There's a lot to get your head around so ask all you want.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Phil, welcome. You will get there, you have certainly come to the right place. I am a 'newbie' and have found the support to be great, do not worry about being a nuisance, I am one and have not been told off yet :):)
Deb

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone! Wow... I went off to do a few jobs around the garden.... Never expected such a positive, and numerous, response :)

My diabetic nurse is calling me every 3 days to monitor my readings. So far, in the 10 days I've been on the daily dose of insulin it's been upped from 10, to 16, and today to 20.
I've removed most carbs from my diet ; no more bread, pasta, rice, etc. brought my potato intake down to about a tenth of what it was. I don't eat cakes or biscuits or sweets anyway, so that was no loss. I've had to reduce my beloved 8-10 pieces of fruit per day down to just two. I eat oily fish, fresh vegetables ( love my veggies) ...but...I have other health problems that mean exercise is limited to very short walks.
I'm only at the very start of this lifelong change, so I'm learning....sloooooowly...my diabetes has gone untreated for a good ten years. I was flagged as prediabetic over a decade ago after a 24 hour pre operation fast...and measured back then as 9.3 mmols.
Looks like I've actually left this way, way too long.

Hi and welcome. Have you thought of lifting weights as a form of exercise you can get a good upper body workout sat in a chair and burn calories at the same time. I have some small weights I keep by my chair and every so often while I'm watching telly I will pick them up and do a couple of reps. It's amazing how much energy you can use up. Hope you get those levels down soon!

Philjn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, thank you, all, for such a warm, friendly, positive welcome....and the advice therein!
I intend browsing through all the fora, particularly the low carb diet suggestions.
I appreciate that exercise is also a major factor in breaking down high BG levels, but I'll have to do that under medical advice, but start simple with brisk, short walks.
Thank you again, all who responded. It's very much appreciated

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Philjn

Hello Phil and welcome to the forum :) To help you, in addition to the helpful advice from members, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be pleased to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Philjn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Philjn

Hello Phil and welcome to the forum :) To help you, in addition to the helpful advice from members, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be pleased to help.

Daisy1,

Again, a big thank you for taking the time to reply and send me such a comprehensive set of links. Without doubt, there is a great deal I need to read and learn if I'm to find a happy balance between food, exercise, and my glucose levels.
In the long term, the wealth of experience and combined knowledge of fellow diabetics and diabetic experts here will be invaluable.... But, honestly? Initially, it's the sheer volume of people, just everyday folk of all age, shape and sizes, all coming together to share and encourage...well, you could either say "misery loves company" ( haha..just my dark humour) or... "Trouble shared..."
My personal diagnosis didn't shock me at all...I had a good idea what was getting worse. My shock came at its severity ( daily readings in the mid to high 20s) ...so I needed input! And not just GP or nurse input, but real people input.
Knowing you're not alone when things go wrong is the very first step to tackling things head on. For that alone, this site is excellent.

So, Thanks Daisy1, your help and advice is very welcome!

Reactions: 7 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum, you are in the right place to get yourself on track. I think many of us here, myself included left it a bit late but such is life. Dont be afraid to ask questions, we are a helpful bunch. :)

ChrissyB57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daisy1,

Again, a big thank you for taking the time to reply and send me such a comprehensive set of links. Without doubt, there is a great deal I need to read and learn if I'm to find a happy balance between food, exercise, and my glucose levels.
In the long term, the wealth of experience and combined knowledge of fellow diabetics and diabetic experts here will be invaluable.... But, honestly? Initially, it's the sheer volume of people, just everyday folk of all age, shape and sizes, all coming together to share and encourage...well, you could either say "misery loves company" ( haha..just my dark humour) or... "Trouble shared..."
My personal diagnosis didn't shock me at all...I had a good idea what was getting worse. My shock came at its severity ( daily readings in the mid to high 20s) ...so I needed input! And not just GP or nurse input, but real people input.
Knowing you're not alone when things go wrong is the very first step to tackling things head on. For that alone, this site is excellent.

So, Thanks Daisy1, your help and advice is very welcome!
Hi, Like you I am newly diagnosed, although I did not think I was obese, at 9st 10lb and 5ft, I have been steadily putting on weight for the past couple of years, previous to this my weight was around 7 and a half stone, I could not fathom out why I was putting on weight as I calculated my daily calorie intake to be around 1000 calories. But I had not cut out the carbs, although I love bread, it would always make me feel bloated and sickly after I had eaten it. The success of this forum and all the information on diet and exercise is for me is amazing, since last Thursday I have stuck to the low carb high fat diet, I am now eating more than before and I have lost half a stone, my blood sugar level has dropped from 10.5 fasting to 6.6 this morning. I am on 500g metformin twice a day, and seems every other day it makes me feel sicky for a couple of hours during the middle part of the day, but for me this is a very small price to pay to regain my health. There is just so much support here, and I have not had any of this advise from doctors or nurses, this site has been absolutely invaluable, I feel so positive with the results that I have achieved so far, just goes to show that cutting out carbs and stepping up the exercise really does work. Good luck and follow the advise that Daisy has sent.

Philjn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not quite sure of the protocols here regarding continued posting in what is essentially just an introduction folder, so to be on the safe side, I'll now shift my ramblings to one of the other, more relevant folders.
Once more, I can't stress how grateful I am to everybody for your genuine interest and multiple links and helpful tips !
I'm quite a stubborn ol' git, even when I know advice is perfect and my own actions are wrong ( regarding my health I might add) it takes me time to adapt... So just like small doses of good carbs, I'll break down and be absorbed, eventually.
Hope to catch you all in the bigger pools :)