EastEnders

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone else see Paul in EastEnders inject insulin tonight?? What the hell? He injected it for two seconds, didn't check his sugar or dispose of the needle!! So annoyed.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Two seconds, there's a world record :)

TV always get it badly wrong.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Soap formatting is pretty quick paced & fragmented in the story telling of multiple plot lines due to time constraints.

I much prefer science fiction. They can get it wrong without anyone really bothering if they have for a number of years..! :D

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

Well.... Most insulin dependant diabetic would get on with their lives as best they can and I too have done some of my injections just like Paul. If I can, I test bg first but it depends where I am, what I am doing and what people I have around me. The last thing I want is to make others feel sorry for me because they see me prick my finger for blood and get out a meter and then decide how much insulin I need and then inject. For all we know, Paul might well have cgm or if he hasn't, maybe he tested bg in another room before eating and injecting and that wasnt filmed. I don't take a pen needle off directly after injecting as not sure where I would put it anyway so just take pen needle cover out of my mouth (front teeth are brilliant), inject and then quickly replace needle and put pen cover back on and sling pen back in my bag and try to behave like a normal person even though I am diabetic.

Let's not chuck stones as we all need to live as normal a life as possible. Thank goodness hypoglycaemia hasn't been filmed in all its wonderful splendour using real life diabetics

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
maybe its actually quite accurate...........lol.............

before the pump my injections went quite quick and I never changed the needle until the disposable pen was done...........oooopsss......;)

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a soap opera - dramatic entertainment, not a documentary. :) Whilst correct procedure is nice to see - having to watch all the diabetic minutiae would likely have people switching off. Besides I don't always test before injecting and I also sometimes leave the same pen needles on until the pen runs out. In fact with all the money I've saved the NHS over the years from this please, please, please can I claim a CGM? ;)

There have been a few T1 characters in soaps over the years. Debbie in Brookside in the 80's (remember Damon and Debbie? With the obvious 'ah, eh you're a junkie') and one of the nurses in Casualty (early 90's?) to name but two.

Reactions: 5 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Considering how unbelievable some of the plot lines are it`s pretty small beer really.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I don't watch tv. You won't be educated or entertained anymore. It's all garbage. Nuff said.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
That's a harsh statement Eddie1968. It's not all garbage. I agree a lot of it is hopeless, but if I search, I can sometimes find a good documentary, some really good light entertainment or a good film. Would you classify David Attenborough's magnificient series as garbage? I think not.....................

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm with @iHs. There's plenty of times where I've shot up based on an estimate and figured out later - sometimes you just have to do that. So the scene wasn't so unrealistic.

Reactions: 7 people

Scardoc

Personally I think they should write a story line where Phil gets diagnosed with diabetes and turns into a softy as high BG levels were fuelling his violent behaviour.

Actually, personally, I would have Walford turfed over and just film the grass growing. Far more entertaining.

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Did anyone else see Paul in EastEnders inject insulin tonight?? What the hell? He injected it for two seconds, didn't check his sugar or dispose of the needle!! So annoyed.

Yup - I saw it - what a joke!!!

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
maybe its actually quite accurate...........lol.............

before the pump my injections went quite quick and I never changed the needle until the disposable pen was done...........oooopsss......;)
"DITTO"

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You need to chill out he might have done both off screen.

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doesn't the needle hurt after you've used it once? I've seen some awful images of needles up close x
Always use one needle for the entire pen, and no it doesn`t really hurt.