Confused . Com

alantat61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As a patient currently type 2 on glicuzide and metformin I am confused
Please help!
What is the difference as a patient between type2 and type1 apart from medication to insulin ?????
Is one worse than the other ie any difference

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi alantat61, the main difference is T1's do not produce any ( or minimal ) insulin whilst T2's have become resistant to their own insulin. There are other varieties and occasional exceptions but for ease, that is the simple answer.
Is one any worse ? Difficult to answer. There are T1's who manage well whilst others struggle, same with T2's. The only similarity is reducing carb intake will improve BG levels and make management easier or can help reduce the need for meds.

Reactions: 5 people

macdoug

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are completely different diseases and I sometimes wonder why they are grouped together. Type one is an autoimmune disease where the cells of the pancreas are destroyed by the body's own immune system. Type 1 cannot produce any or very little insulin because of the damage to the pancreas. blood sugar is unregulated because of this and they must take insulin to get the sugar out of the blood and into the cells. Type 2 also can't get the sugar out of the blood and into the cells but not because they don't have the insulin but rather the cells are resistant to insulin. I would say that currently that type 1 is worse as insulin resistance in type 2's can be well managed and even reversed or at least improved with diet and exercise. That could change as there are promising treatments or actual cures for type 1 looking likely in the future

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a patient currently type 2 on glicuzide and metformin I am confused
Please help!
What is the difference as a patient between type2 and type1 apart from medication to insulin ?????
Is one worse than the other ie any difference

In short. Whatever D type. If the condition is not treated accordingly?
What we all have in common is developing the same familiar degenerative complications...

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if I'm right here so feel free to correct me but I thought T1s were diagnosed early on, as in childhood as they were likely born with it whereas T2s are usually described as Late Onset Diabetes because it's more likely to happen as you get older? Probably talking out of my hat here - should have looked it up really.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, you can get Type 1 at any age, @copey399. Adults can and do develop it, even adults in their 60s.

Also, children can develop Type 2. That's becoming increasingly common.

That's why the names were changed as they were causing confusion eg Type 1 used to be called 'juvenile diabetes' but, as said previously, you can get it as a mature adult too.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed @copey399

I contracted T1 on my 8th birthday.
However I can tag in a "late bloomer" (I happen to know off the top of my head.) with regards to T1 diagnosis...

@June_C ? :)

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you can get Type 1 at any age, @copey399. Adults can and do develop it, even adults in their 60s.

Also, children can develop Type 2. That's becoming increasingly common.

That's why the names were changed as they were causing confusion eg Type 1 used to be called 'juvenile diabetes' but, as said previously, you can get it as a mature adult too.
Indeed @copey399

I contracted T1 on my 8th birthday.
However I can tag in a "late bloomer" (I happen to know off the top of my head.) with regards to T1 diagnosis...

@June_C ? :)

Oh, right. Thanks for putting me straight xx

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a loveley birthday present! NOT!!

... & the subsequent absense of cake ever since.
It's not the worst Bday treat.
I once suffered a "lap dance" from an ex, which lacked the technique benefitted from classical dance training, nor had the empathy to my condition by dressing as a latex nurse.! :banghead:

Reactions: 2 people

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
Not sure if I'm right here so feel free to correct me but I thought T1s were diagnosed early on, as in childhood as they were likely born with it whereas T2s are usually described as Late Onset Diabetes because it's more likely to happen as you get older? Probably talking out of my hat here - should have looked it up really.
I think the key word here is "likely", however I believe you summed it up well.

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
I was actually diagnosed type 1 at the age of 28. I had been living with the symptoms of what i now know to be high blood sugar from pre-school age yet not once was my blood tested for diabetes !

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was actually diagnosed type 1 at the age of 28. I had been living with the symptoms of what i now know to be high blood sugar from pre-school age yet not once was my blood tested for diabetes !

That's terrible :( What finally alerted you or your GP to the fact that you might be diabetic? (If you don't mind me asking)