Pregnant Belly Syndrome?

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well first off, I'm definitely not pregnant ..lol, being well past child-bearing age.

My problem is that if I stand sideways in front of a mirror (and lift up my heavy boobs - sorry if that's TMI) I have the same shape as someone who is 9 months pregnant!! Under my bust I measure 36" then I go out to 42" round the waist (or where it should be) and 43" round the hips :( That is surely not normal?

I've been doing the LC/HF diet in the hope of controlling my T2 diabetes and losing weight, but although I've lost a stone so far I haven't lost anything from the all important midriff area. My already quite skinny legs/thighs and face look thinner but that's all.

I know I've still got a way to go as I am currently 11st 9lbs and only 5'3" so just under obese and into overweight.

What I want to know is has anyone else had this problem and will it go eventually before I look drawn and haggard everywhere else?

I did some research online about it and came across something called Diastasis Recti which is mainly aimed at pregnant women who haven't lost their "baby belly" after pregnancy but apparently it can happen to anyone at any age. I did have big babies (over 8lbs). There's information about it here if anyone is interested

https://www.diastasisrehab.com/what-is-diastasis-recti

So do you think I should assume that I have this condition or hope that losing more weight will make a difference? There is an exercise program which is supposed to help repair the abdominal separation but with a chronic back problem and dodgy knees (and being over 70) I haven't checked it out yet.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I thought it might be helpful to anyone else with a similar problem and would also like to hear from anyone who has successfully got rid of their pregnant looking belly, either by diet or doing the exercises.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well first off, I'm definitely not pregnant ..lol, being well past child-bearing age.

My problem is that if I stand sideways in front of a mirror (and lift up my heavy boobs - sorry if that's TMI) I have the same shape as someone who is 9 months pregnant!! Under my bust I measure 36" then I go out to 42" round the waist (or where it should be) and 43" round the hips :( That is surely not normal?

I've been doing the LC/HF diet in the hope of controlling my T2 diabetes and losing weight, but although I've lost a stone so far I haven't lost anything from the all important midriff area. My already quite skinny legs/thighs and face look thinner but that's all.

I know I've still got a way to go as I am currently 11st 9lbs and only 5'3" so just under obese and into overweight.

What I want to know is has anyone else had this problem and will it go eventually before I look drawn and haggard everywhere else?

I did some research online about it and came across something called Diastasis Recti which is mainly aimed at pregnant women who haven't lost their "baby belly" after pregnancy but apparently it can happen to anyone at any age. I did have big babies (over 8lbs). There's information about it here if anyone is interested

So do you think I should assume that I have this condition or hope that losing more weight will make a difference? There is an exercise program which is supposed to help repair the abdominal separation but with a chronic back problem and dodgy knees (and being over 70) I haven't checked it out yet.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I thought it might be helpful to anyone else with a similar problem and would also like to hear from anyone who has successfully got rid of their pregnant looking belly, either by diet or doing the exercises.

Copey - The apple shape, where the bulk of our weight is carried around our middles is a fairly typical sight in T2. This is indicating the fat has been accumulating around our internal organs. Diastasis Recti is not uncommon, for a number of reasons, such as past pregnancies, abdominal surgery amongst others. It's typical appearance is for the apparent swelling to be top to bottom (under the breast bone, towards the belly button, rather than distributed around the waistline. I had this after abdominal surgery, where access was achieved by separating the two muscle columns and them not healing perfectly, but fortunately re-building the muscles negated the need to repair the area.

It is an annoyingly sad fact of life that we always seem to lose weight from areas we don't particularly want to first; whether that be bust, bottom, legs or wherever. A number of people have commented that their tummy fat has been the last to go. I think in common parlance, it's called Murphy's Law. The same law comes into play when we gain weight. We never seem to achieve a more voluptuous bust or perky rear. We get saddlebags, or muffin tops. No? So, the message is quite simple; keep going with the diet and I'm confident loss will happen, given time.

I have posted a few times about losing weight, other people's perceptions of our altering appearance and the equally irritating fact that the body can sometimes keep changing in its shape after we have finished our weight loss. It's almost like it's catching up. As an example, my weight has been stable now at 47-50kg for this year, but my body shape is still smoothing out. In fact last weekend, I bought some new trousers which are down yet another size. To be honest, I hadn't really wanted that to happen, as it takes my bottom half to a size 6, which isn't the easiest size to buy except in high end or Dorothy Perkins or New Look, but there we have it. I am pretty skinny, but then, at also 5ft 3in, with size 3 feet, I certainly don't even pretend to have a big frame. I'm praying my bottom doesn't get any smaller, trust me!

If your shape and your discover of the Diastasis Recti condition concerns you, then do have a chat with your doc; especially if you are going to embark on an exercise regime. But, you could find it improves as a matter of course as some of the abdominal bulk decreases.

Good luck with it all. This can test our patience at times, but let's face it, we didn't gain the weight in a few sort weeks, so why should we expect it to disappear in such a short time frame?

Reactions: 6 people

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Copey
I've just read your post and am struck by the similarities between us my statistics are almost the same as yours except I am 1 pound heavier and 1 inch taller
I had big babies 8lb 6oz and 9lb 3oz
My measurements are almost identical I was diagnosed as type 2 the end of Nov. 2014 prescribed metformin and gliclazade didn't have bad side affects from the metformin but haven't managed to lose any weight despite trying the lchf diet
I am defiantly not 9mth pregnant being 59 yrs old
I have had chronic back problems since I was 18 yrs old so find it difficult to find excercise I'm comfortable with
I am going to read the link you posted it sounds fascinating
Cheers
Jan
Have a good weekend

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Copey - The apple shape, where the bulk of our weight is carried around our middles is a fairly typical sight in T2. This is indicating the fat has been accumulating around our internal organs. Diastasis Recti is not uncommon, for a number of reasons, such as past pregnancies, abdominal surgery amongst others. It's typical appearance is for the apparent swelling to be top to bottom (under the breast bone, towards the belly button, rather than distributed around the waistline. I had this after abdominal surgery, where access was achieved by separating the two muscle columns and them not healing perfectly, but fortunately re-building the muscles negated the need to repair the area.

It is an annoyingly sad fact of life that we always seem to lose weight from areas we don't particularly want to first; whether that be bust, bottom, legs or wherever. A number of people have commented that their tummy fat has been the last to go. I think in common parlance, it's called Murphy's Law. The same law comes into play when we gain weight. We never seem to achieve a more voluptuous bust or perky rear. We get saddlebags, or muffin tops. No? So, the message is quite simple; keep going with the diet and I'm confident loss will happen, given time.

I have posted a few times about losing weight, other people's perceptions of our altering appearance and the equally irritating fact that the body can sometimes keep changing in its shape after we have finished our weight loss. It's almost like it's catching up. As an example, my weight has been stable now at 47-50kg for this year, but my body shape is still smoothing out. In fact last weekend, I bought some new trousers which are down yet another size. To be honest, I hadn't really wanted that to happen, as it takes my bottom half to a size 6, which isn't the easiest size to buy except in high end or Dorothy Perkins or New Look, but there we have it. I am pretty skinny, but then, at also 5ft 3in, with size 3 feet, I certainly don't even pretend to have a big frame. I'm praying my bottom doesn't get any smaller, trust me!

If your shape and your discover of the Diastasis Recti condition concerns you, then do have a chat with your doc; especially if you are going to embark on an exercise regime. But, you could find it improves as a matter of course as some of the abdominal bulk decreases.

Good luck with it all. This can test our patience at times, but let's face it, we didn't gain the weight in a few sort weeks, so why should we expect it to disappear in such a short time frame?

Thanks @AndBreathe I understand what you say and it makes sense. I can and will have the patience to wait for the fat to go but I read about the Diastasis and wondered if I was flogging a dead horse waiting for the big belly to go just with weight loss.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Copey
I've just read your post and am struck by the similarities between us my statistics are almost the same as yours except I am 1 pound heavier and 1 inch taller
I had big babies 8lb 6oz and 9lb 3oz
My measurements are almost identical I was diagnosed as type 2 the end of Nov. 2014 prescribed metformin and gliclazade didn't have bad side affects from the metformin but haven't managed to lose any weight despite trying the lchf diet
I am defiantly not 9mth pregnant being 59 yrs old
I have had chronic back problems since I was 18 yrs old so find it difficult to find excercise I'm comfortable with
I am going to read the link you posted it sounds fascinating
Cheers
Jan
Have a good weekend

Hi @brottonmoores I've taken onboard what @AndBreathe says and looks like it's just a case of wait for it to go. I stand in front of the mirror and hold it all in with my hands and think "if only" because apart from the belly I wouldn't be too concerned about the rest of my shape. Having a huge waist and slim legs and not much bum means I have to buy size 18-20 just to fit round my waist and then the legs and bum are all baggy :(

Before I saw AndBreathe's post I looked on YouTube and found an interesting video (and loads more) but only had time to watch the first one and I could manage the little pelvic thrusts if I could get down on the floor :) No harm in doing them as well as losing weight.

Good luck xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AndBreathe I understand what you say and it makes sense. I can and will have the patience to wait for the fat to go but I read about the Diastasis and wondered if I was flogging a dead horse waiting for the big belly to go just with weight loss.

Copey - To be frank, you may not achieve a wash board stomach by weight loss alone. Lots of people don't, but at the weight you declare, it has to be agreed there is some poundage there that would be better for you gone.

To reiterate, for us, T2, this belly fat is critical t our conditions. Professor Taylor's Newcastle Diet, by virtue of it's aggressive nature, targets rapid weight loss, but he has highlighted that de-fatting the liver and pancreas is also critical to our significant improvement to our diabetes.

In achieving my skinny shape, my waistline was the last thing to get tiny, whereas, it was the first thing I wanted to reduce. My bosom and backside disappeared, where I wasn't too fussed about that. My chest was, for a while, like a rack of ribs, but that's sorting itself out now, as my remaining physical shape redistributes itself.

I think what I am saying, without it sounding too brutal, is that at our age (I'm 58, so although a little younger than you, my skin and physical makeup has lost some of it's elasticity), there may be some collateral damage along with this weight loss. Your face, neck, arms and whatever, may appear thin for a while, but partly we (and our loved ones) get used to seeing the new thinner us, and partly, as I've already mentioned, our body catches up where it can.

I'm afraid you're stuck with having to soldier on with the weight loss. Perhaps as a little of the poundage goes your back issues may improve as your frame becomes lighter, and that may allow you to move around a bit more freely.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's any consolation I have found that around the tummy/hip area is proving to be the hardest place to lose weight or more to the point, accumulated fat. The nature of diabetes is to pile the fat on that area and like all weight loss, we can't pick and choose where we want it to disappear from. As a consequence of my weight loss so far , my once glorious boobs are now much smaller and I can only lament their passing but saying that, after around 4 months the tummy is now shrinking beautifully and disappearing. The deposit of fat that once stretched from hip to hip is now an isolated little circle and shrinking weekly. So please don't despair....it will shrink in time....and think about it...it took a long time to pile it on so will take a while to melt it away. Shrink you portion sizes a little and make your body start using the fat deposits for fuel. Buying a smaller dinner plate was the best thing I ever did ...my eyes tell my brain my portion is the same size as before and I feel satisfied and full after my meals even though they are smaller (shhh....dn't tell my brain though ;)) It will all come with time...chin up girl :)

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Copey - To be frank, you may not achieve a wash board stomach by weight loss alone. Lots of people don't, but at the weight you declare, it has to be agreed there is some poundage there that would be better for you gone.

To reiterate, for us, T2, this belly fat is critical t our conditions. Professor Taylor's Newcastle Diet, by virtue of it's aggressive nature, targets rapid weight loss, but he has highlighted that de-fatting the liver and pancreas is also critical to our significant improvement to our diabetes.

In achieving my skinny shape, my waistline was the last thing to get tiny, whereas, it was the first thing I wanted to reduce. My bosom and backside disappeared, where I wasn't too fussed about that. My chest was, for a while, like a rack of ribs, but that's sorting itself out now, as my remaining physical shape redistributes itself.

I think what I am saying, without it sounding too brutal, is that at our age (I'm 58, so although a little younger than you, my skin and physical makeup has lost some of it's elasticity), there may be some collateral damage along with this weight loss. Your face, neck, arms and whatever, may appear thin for a while, but partly we (and our loved ones) get used to seeing the new thinner us, and partly, as I've already mentioned, our body catches up where it can.

I'm afraid you're stuck with having to soldier on with the weight loss. Perhaps as a little of the poundage goes your back issues may improve as your frame becomes lighter, and that may allow you to move around a bit more freely.

Yes, I know I can't expect to have a bikini body at my age ...lol. But I would just like it to go in a bit at the waist instead of out. I'm also hoping for an improvement in my back problem as hauling what looks like an 8lb baby around can't be doing it any favours :(

As I've said on another thread, my weight loss is minimal because I lost 8lb in just over the first week or so but the other 5lb has taken well over a month and that's not what I was expecting from LC/HF. I know it's my own fault because when I haven't got or don't fancy the right foods I skip meals and I know that's really bad and not what I should be doing. Yesterday I was really bad and had 2 fried eggs + mushrooms for breakfast/lunch - went out and got back to find nothing I fancied in the fridge (couldn't face another stir fry) then in desperation boiled some frozen cauliflower and microwaved a bit of white haddock. When I entered the figures in Myfitnesspal it said I'd only had 788 calories. I did plan to have a full fat yogurt but It was out of date and had been opened so binned it. I had some nuts and creamed cheese on a couple Tuc crackers. I'm just going shopping to stock up so I don't do that again.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's any consolation I have found that around the tummy/hip area is proving to be the hardest place to lose weight or more to the point, accumulated fat. The nature of diabetes is to pile the fat on that area and like all weight loss, we can't pick and choose where we want it to disappear from. As a consequence of my weight loss so far , my once glorious boobs are now much smaller and I can only lament their passing but saying that, after around 4 months the tummy is now shrinking beautifully and disappearing. The deposit of fat that once stretched from hip to hip is now an isolated little circle and shrinking weekly. So please don't despair....it will shrink in time....and think about it...it took a long time to pile it on so will take a while to melt it away. Shrink you portion sizes a little and make your body start using the fat deposits for fuel. Buying a smaller dinner plate was the best thing I ever did ...my eyes tell my brain my portion is the same size as before and I feel satisfied and full after my meals even though they are smaller (shhh....dn't tell my brain though ;)) It will all come with time...chin up girl :)

Thanks Gezzabelle but I don't think portion size is a problem for me. I don't seem to have much appetite and see above. I just have to plan ahead more, get off this **** computer and put some effort into preparing and eating the right foods and stop mucking about, otherwise I'll just make myself ill :(

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Gezzabelle but I don't think portion size is a problem for me. I don't seem to have much appetite and see above. I just have to plan ahead more, get off this **** computer and put some effort into preparing and eating the right foods and stop mucking about, otherwise I'll just make myself ill :(
Yes...you do have to forward think a little to make sure you have a variety of food to hand and use. Skipping meals will only serve to put your body into 'starvation mode' and that makes it store all that you do eat as fat as your brain thinks you might not be feeding it enough any time soon. I find thinking too much makes it harder to make meals and get more fun out of inventing things. Some are quite weird but taste delicious. Yesterday I made a delicious curry. I just threw it all together in 10 minutes and hoped for the best. I have to say it was the most delicious meal I have invented so far and will certainly be making it again.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes...you do have to forward think a little to make sure you have a variety of food to hand and use. Skipping meals will only serve to put your body into 'starvation mode' and that makes it store all that you do eat as fat as your brain thinks you might not be feeding it enough any time soon. I find thinking too much makes it harder to make meals and get more fun out of inventing things. Some are quite weird but taste delicious. Yesterday I made a delicious curry. I just threw it all together in 10 minutes and hoped for the best. I have to say it was the most delicious meal I have invented so far and will certainly be making it again.

Some people have a knack of throwing things in the pot and it comes out good. Not me I'm afraid :(

I was just looking at your Stats and you have done amazingly well. You've lost nearly 2 stone in only a little more time than I've struggled to get nearly a stone off. Brilliant. xx Full of envy but that doesn't get me anywhere so just slog on :)

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost a little from my boobs but quite a bit from the tummy area but still got a flabby bit over my c-section scar. I know I've lost fat from my gluteus maximus as my bum hurts when I sit on a hard chair. The rest of my body is now soft so I expect that's the fat breaking down (i hope). I've lost a stone and a half so far. A neighbour I haven't seen for a couple of months said to me that I looked tired, great, thank you.
Keep up the good work everybody.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you looked at the Newcastle Diet at all?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had diastasis after pregnancy @copey399 Its something you can feel as there's a definite gap in the muscles. You could try to feel to see if you have this (there are instructions online and on YouTube)

The exercises can be gentle ones so they may be ok for you to do if you do have it.

Reactions: 2 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost a little from my boobs but quite a bit from the tummy area but still got a flabby bit over my c-section scar. I know I've lost fat from my gluteus maximus as my bum hurts when I sit on a hard chair. The rest of my body is now soft so I expect that's the fat breaking down (i hope). I've lost a stone and a half so far. A neighbour I haven't seen for a couple of months said to me that I looked tired, great, thank you.
Keep up the good work everybody.

Well done xx There's always someone who will burst your bubble but just ignore them.

Have you looked at the Newcastle Diet at all?

I hadn't but I spent a lot of time this evening looking at it. I think I could do it but when people say that if you don't eat enough calories your metabolism slows down and goes into starvation mode it makes me wonder how it works.

I had diastasis after pregnancy @copey399 Its something you can feel as there's a definite gap in the muscles. You could try to feel to see if you have this (there are instructions online and on YouTube)

The exercises can be gentle ones so they may be ok for you to do if you do have it.

Yes, I tried that video and I can't even feel the muscles that you're supposed to feel. I definitely think I will try and do the gentle exercises though, it can't hurt xx

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hadn't but I spent a lot of time this evening looking at it. I think I could do it but when people say that if you don't eat enough calories your metabolism slows down and goes into starvation mode it makes me wonder how it works.

I've read that.
It seems complete rubbish to me.
i guess you have to decide if you believe an odd theory off the internet without any logic behind it, or a documented study by a university professor with proven results.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read that.
It seems complete rubbish to me.
i guess you have to decide if you believe an odd theory off the internet without any logic behind it, or a documented study by a university professor with proven results.

Well I have heard it a lot, not just on the internet but then a lot of people say that the LC/HF diet doesn't work and there's plenty of proof that that it does so, as you say, it's a case of picking what you think will suit you and that you can stick to. x

SheilaN

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Giving out personal information on the internet because it leaves me vulnerable in my personal and professional life.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I lost my many stone I initially looked old but my skin has tightened up again and I now look young again. Someone thought I was ten years younger than real life recently so assuming it wasn't flattery that is good

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I know I can't expect to have a bikini body at my age ...lol. But I would just like it to go in a bit at the waist instead of out. I'm also hoping for an improvement in my back problem as hauling what looks like an 8lb baby around can't be doing it any favours :( .

I like the Greeks for this - seems no such thing as 'a bikini body' - women of all ages, shapes and sizes wear a bikini if they want :). And we get more vitamin D on more exposed body surface?! Win win! (That's my justification and I'm sticking to it! ;):).)

Liked the distasis (or whatever it is called) vid - very interesting. And that gorgeous flat tummy on the earnest athletic educator - sigh. (I decided I am decades too late for the split abdominal muscle rehab.)

I'm doing some concerted work on my abs - see that whole area as a big way underused muscle expanse just dying to uptake all that extra blood glucose I have constantly floating around in my bloodstream. But I believe I will always have the saggy skin folds, that expand with ease whenever I get bloated/eat pasta or other dietary darlings. And then yes - the pregnant belly look. All too easily. (Way too late to ease into abdominal exercises gradually to avoid? I think so, alas.)

If anyone else is interested in ab exercises - Jackie Warner does some great crunchless routines in a DVD and can be found online, and she has a 'moderated' athletic woman also, demonstrating. I really like them. I wouldn't say I have anything close to a six-pack - but maybe a two pack? (The other packs may always be hidden!)