Type 1 Lifer being put on Metformin

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a T1 who also takes Metformin, I have done so for 10 years. Was prescribed it to improve insulin absorption and reduce insulin intake so I could stop putting on weight. Taking 1g morning and evening almost halved my insulin intake.

Side effects...it's not known as MetFartin for nothing. Main one is upset stomach and excessive wind, can also cause diarrhoea and a very very urgent need to use the bathroom.

Reactions: 2 people

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking Metformin for about 10 years or so on top of my insulin. I have been type for 34 years.

About a month ago doctor thought I may be double diabetic so suggsted i double my Metformin from 1 x500g twice a day. For the first week or so things went well, I dropped my insulin intake by about 10 % and have continued to do. However i am finding my sugars are starting to increase again and I seem to be constanly about 8--10 most times.

Looks like it going to go back to my previous insulin levels again :(

Ladybirdy75

MetFartin really made me laugh and so true!

Well i saw my DSN yesterday who has asked me to drop my morning Met 500mg and just take the evening one. I do worry ,reading some of the success stories, that is there another reason why it doesn't seem to have affected my levels that much compared to others. I had a blood test for thyroid function last Friday as my levels were borderline low, I've now had a call from the doctors to come in and discuss it. My DSN had a look at the system for me and said you've got no thyroxin going on in there !!!!! Wonder if this has affected my Metformin???

More research then lol.