Pump users: how often do you test/change your basal rates??

bowersgifford

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude people
  1. I have had diabetes for nearly 50 years now and have been on the pump for 5yrs. I test my blood at least 6 times a day, if you don't test you will never know what your body is doing. I have to change my rates every 4/5 weeks in order to keep stable even after all these years!!! Its not easy, I know but when I first got it I was only given 2 glass syringes & 2 metal long needles (which need to be boiled after every use). I had to test my urine only, was not very accurate. We have it very easy now considering. If you ignore what you have it will possess you, I will/have not let do it to me I keep fighting it, yes its been difficult at times but we all have a bag & need to carry it!! :bag:

Reactions: 2 people

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok guys so firstly a massive thank you to everyone who took time out of their day to advise me on here!

Secondly, I went to see my diabetes nurse (who was a lot more supportive than I may have initially given her credit for) and she's helping me out with changing my basal rates, and also from the end of this week I'm getting the use of a CGM for six days! It may not seem much but I'm super excited, hopefully it'll make finding some control that bit easier.

And finally, as a result of my basal testing I'm currently doing at least six blood tests on my testing days, but also at least 3-4 on my non-testing days cause with having to do so many it's started to feel weird if I do less than that!

I'm starting to see that in a short amount of time with a few more checks you can achieve massive changes and although my levels are far from perfect they're already a lot more stable with a few simple adjustments.

So thank you again guys, really feel like I'm heading in the right direction, and I'm glad you were all here when I was finding it so tough. Its still tough, but now I know I can change it. Xxx

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Really pleased for you Rachel.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great new @rachel162, it can never be said enough how important basal testing is to get good consistent bg control.

iHs

Good luck with using a pump. To get the best out of them every day regardless of basal rate testing, is to try to test bg levels every 2-3 hours to ensure that the basal rate settings are still correct and also the bolus carb ratio is ok to remain the same. I
I find that my basal rates usually need to be adjusted a tiny bit probably about every 10 to 14 days but I use the bg tests that I do to be my guide or cgm data.

Basal rate testing is probably easier to do for those who have a basic routine to their lifestyle during their working hours and then to tackle non working days. It's somewhat impossible for those who have a very varied lifestyle regarding activity to get their basal need to be accurate if they don't know what time during the day they will be active for. Bodyweight influences basal as does warm, hot and cold weather temperatures.and illness also can affect.

At the moment we have varied weather temps......warm one day followed by baking hot and then cooler temps, so be aware that the basal level of insulin needed now will most likely change again as the weather temps change. Again bg testing is key to goodish bg control..

Reactions: 2 people