Steroid Induced Type 2 Diabetes

DerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Steroid Induced Type 2 and am having great difficulty in stabilising. My medication has been changed a number of times, to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem and any suggestions about how to get it under control. I cannot come off the steroid medication, so this is not an option. I also suffer with high blood pressure caused by the steroids as well.

DerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you kindly could tell me your daily steroid dosage, I could compare it with my situation, I'm T2 and having steroids daily but my diabetes is controlled perfectly using insulin with a HbA1c close to pre diabetic lately.
I am currently on 6mgs a day but have had various doses between 50 and 5 mgs over the course of the last 8/9 years along with several infusions during that time. I had been hoping that as my steroids reduced once again I could take control of the diabetes but so far this hasn't happened. I am due another review next week and expect my meds to be changed yet again. How long have you been on insulin and what is your daily doseage?

Dizzydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also take maintenance steroids of 25mg, regularly up to 50mg, I too am only using insulin (basal/bolus & also carb count) & this seems to suit me well & myself/ consultant are happy with control :)

DerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also take maintenance steroids of 25mg, regularly up to 50mg, I too am only using insulin (basal/bolus & also carb count) & this seems to suit me well & myself/ consultant are happy with control :)
Thank you for that. Maybe it is something I have to consider as all the meds they have tried so far haven't had much effect. Good luck to you.

Dizzydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - the only thing I would add from my own experience & I can't speak for everyone but steroids can produce quite a distinct effect/ pattern in blood sugars that is slightly different & not all medical professionals are used to dealing with it. For example with my consultants help we worked out I needed to take my basal insulin in the morning and not the evening that is usual (steroids raise blood sugars through the day from around mid-morning & then can drop quite significantly over night so much higher hypo risk overnight) I also have a much higher insulin to carb ratio at lunch as the steroids kick in & then much lower in the morning/ evening.

Trial and error & ive had nearly every side effect from steroids but once my diabetes consultant got past I wouldn't ever likely be able to stop them & needed them to breathe (helps that he saw a very bad patch) we started getting along much better :)

Reactions: 4 people

DerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - the only thing I would add from my own experience & I can't speak for everyone but steroids can produce quite a distinct effect/ pattern in blood sugars that is slightly different & not all medical professionals are used to dealing with it. For example with my consultants help we worked out I needed to take my basal insulin in the morning and not the evening that is usual (steroids raise blood sugars through the day from around mid-morning & then can drop quite significantly over night so much higher hypo risk overnight) I also have a much higher insulin to carb ratio at lunch as the steroids kick in & then much lower in the morning/ evening.

Trial and error & ive had nearly every side effect from steroids but once my diabetes consultant got past I wouldn't ever likely be able to stop them & needed them to breathe (helps that he saw a very bad patch) we started getting along much better :)

I have had the same experience of blood sugars going up through the day and dropping significantly over night with risk of hypo. Steroids do wonderful things but bad things too unfortunately. I think I need to ask a lot more questions. Thank you for your help.

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I too take steroids of 20mg daily and this fluctuates depending on other conditions. I take novomix30 8 units at lunchtime. I don't do basal/bolus...maybe I should??? My b.s. are good in morning 4.9 -5.5 and before lunch 7.2 or about. Unfortunately by t time they have risen to sometimes 10,s and I am extremely careful of what I eat for lunch. They come back down again after t time, back to 7s before bed. No doubt about it steroids do play havoc with b.s.. I do worry about the rise in b.s. every day but my diabetic team don't seem concerned about it too much.

DerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too take steroids of 20mg daily and this fluctuates depending on other conditions. I take novomix30 8 units at lunchtime. I don't do basal/bolus...maybe I should??? My b.s. are good in morning 4.9 -5.5 and before lunch 7.2 or about. Unfortunately by t time they have risen to sometimes 10,s and I am extremely careful of what I eat for lunch. They come back down again after t time, back to 7s before bed. No doubt about it steroids do play havoc with b.s.. I do worry about the rise in b.s. every day but my diabetic team don't seem concerned about it too much.

Thank you for your input. Steroids are so good for some things but awful for general health. Unfortunately my b.s. goes up to 20 at times during the day and overnight drops back to 4 or 5. It is just very erratic and very frustrating. Meds have been changed a number of times to no avail. I just wish I could find the answer.

Dizzydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a tricky one I have some other auto immune stuff going on & after a series of nasty virus/ infections don't produce my own insulin in addition to taking steroids so am treated as type 1 - maybe that's why basal/ bolus works so well for me but might be worth a chat with your team, see what they say.

It takes awhile but you will find something that suits you :)

DerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a tricky one I have some other auto immune stuff going on & after a series of nasty virus/ infections don't produce my own insulin in addition to taking steroids so am treated as type 1 - maybe that's why basal/ bolus works so well for me but might be worth a chat with your team, see what they say.

It takes awhile but you will find something that suits you :)

Thank you for your thoughts. I am seeing them on Monday so will ask more questions. Take care.