Really nervous

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone..

I've got my diabetes appointment at the hospital this week, and I am so nervous about it, because for the past few weeks, my blood glucose levels have been so so high.

I just don't know what to say to them, I don't want to show them my meter... How can I get out of this habit? and does anyone have any suggestions for how I should approach my appointment?

Thank you so much

Jelaca

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get out of what habit?

Do you know why your BGs are high and just haven't done anything about it, or have you upped your insulin without success?

Are you just nervous about the clinic and worried that they'll blame you?

Just tell them the truth - if you don't, they can't help you properly.

Reactions: 6 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just be honest about it, they meet tons of people going through burnout so I'm sure you won't be the first!

Reactions: 7 people

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it was high for two weeks because I was at camp and found it difficult to inject, but this last week I'm not sure... Does having a cold make your sugar levels higher?

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jelaca,

As they say honesty is the best policy..

I used to be the same when I was attending the diabetes clinic in my youth (type 1 for 20 years, 31 now). Almost feeling guilty to show "bad results", and 'rounding down' my written blood glucose results ;).

However, the reality is that diabetes can be a volatile beast, and difficult to control. That's where health care professionals can help with changes to diet/Insulin regimes, and where applicable, reiteratting the importance of tight control.

Hope you get a handle on your readings.

Reactions: 8 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They will help you, not blame you, and the more information you can give them, the more constructive and helpful they will be able to be.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My second appointment with the consultant is due a few days after I get back from a weeks half board holiday in Gran Canaria....could be interesting!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jelaca,

Just be honest with them. If the Dr isn't much help then ask to see a DSN. My experience is they tend to be very understanding and will usually offer much better advice and are more often happier to work with you for a however long it takes to get things right again.

If you do have a cold then you will definitely see higher sugars and you may need to consider running with the sick day rules, especially if you are getting ketones detected (assuming you have tested for that).
If you are not sure then ask the DSN.

You have nothing to be embarrassed or nervous about, this condition is complicated as hell and while it would be nice to have perfection that kind of thing will just wear you out. Take a breath and deal with what you can as you can.

Best of luck, hope your appointment goes well and you get the support you need. If not, come back here, you'll always get plenty here.

/A

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As earlier posters have said, the medical team are available to help and support without judgement or blame. They know that some of their patients encounter difficulties controlling blood sugars.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Let me absolutely honest here - they are not there to judge you, they are medical professionals who can only act on the information you give them - which allows them to help you.

If you're not injecting or taking the right amount of insulin then tell them this, they cannot do anything to help you unless you are 100% honest. There is no reason to fear or feel nervous, you will never overcome your anxiety until you change your mindset and see this as an opportunity to get the support you need to manage your diabetes.

It's up to you if you decide to show them your meter or diary, but if you do it's a good reference to discuss your day to day management and allow them to find the best way you can manage this daily. You need to discuss your struggles too, as otherwise this will continue.

I get nervous too but I also fully appreciate the support I get and take a list of whatever concerns I have with me so I can discuss each point but I also get really hacked off i leave without finding a solution to any issue i'm facing, I like each meeting to be constructive and I like to have an outcome already decided in my own mind about what I would like to get from each appointment.

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate to this a lot - I was running high for months and was so scared to see my diabetic doctors and nurses! But they were very understanding and did not judge me at all - if you're honest you can get the problem solved!

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just be truthful about it as they are there to help you and support you........

they should never lecture you or put pressure on you as ultimately its up to you at the end of the day and they will know this...

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Well it was high for two weeks because I was at camp and found it difficult to inject, but this last week I'm not sure... Does having a cold make your sugar levels higher?

Hi Jelaca,

I concur with everyone else above, except to say that your question (above) indicates a need for good quality diabetes education (or a refresher).

That's nothing to be ashamed of - the NHS has been 'pants' with providing good diabetes education for PWDs and family.

Good luck with your appointment - and if anyone does 'lecture' you, smile sweetly, flutter your eyelids and sing:

"Have you ever tried to drive your car at 70 miles per hour across a frozen lake, while everyone in town is skating every which way in front of you? And if you did, did you succeed in getting to the other side without hitting anyone or damaging your car?"

You can make up the tune. ;) (BTW, you've got a great voice.)

Reactions: 5 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a simple approach. If they DO lecture you (and yes, doctors and nurses do sometimes do that) say calmly, "Look, I admit I have not managed well in the last three weeks, but I am here as a patient for help and advice, not a lecture." Be assertive. You are an adult, not a naughty child in the head teacher's office, and they should be "knocked back" a bit if they do that. I've done it. It works. But don't get upset, or you DO seem like a child. Just be quiet, calm and assertive.

Reactions: 11 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hey @Jelaca

How are you? How did your appointment go? ... Did they lecture? Were they helpful? Anything that confuses or concerns you?