Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Rodders69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

Hi Darren. By H results, I assume you mean HbA1c? This is one of the key tests and looks at your average blood sugars over 3 months (sort of anyway!) Without wanting to sound picky, this test is measured as a %, NOT in mmol so I wonder if you're getting mixed up? The mmol tests are the one-off blood sugar tests we can do on our meters. It's worth clarifying your results so you can compare properly with other tests in the future and see how you're getting on. My Hba!c was 8.2 when I was diagnosed, but fortuinately down to 5.9 when I was tested 4 months later.
Good luck!
Mine is low much to the amusement of the doctors who tell me I need to get it higher 5.7% dcct 39 ifcc = 6.5

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I picked up my results from my GP this evening...

...(long drum roll....)

46 mmol/mol (or 6.4%)

As you can probably guess, I can't believe it! This is the lowest I've been in probably 20+ years, but certainly beats the high period I had in 2003-2005 (11.1%).

I am relieved (it's been a 2.5 year concerted struggle) and quietly ecstatic. :joyful:

As an aside to anyone reading this who is or has been in a really dark place with horrendous control, etc., I hope my signature list of results (not visible via the phone app) will inspire you to keep focused and not to give up.

To those on this forum who have - directly or otherwise - provided the info, experiences, inspiration and forbearance with me, "Thank you - with all my heart!"

(Next target = 40 by Christmas 2015) :brb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
6.8% as of today. A bit disappointed as my last one was 6.5%.

Hey, don't beat yourself up, it still indicates good management and control... use the result to review what's been going on these past three months:

Perhaps you've had an undiagnosed, underlying bug / infection; or maybe you've not been as active; or your 'portion' sizes have slipped, etc. , etc. , etc.; or it could be something completely unavoidable - such as biorhythm changes owing to the annual birthday!

Chin up, in my experience you're doing brilliantly.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and wanted to try without medication. Well I don't think I need to lower it any more. Very happy with that and thanks to lots on this forum.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm type 2 and wanted to try without medication. Well I don't think I need to lower it any more. Very happy with that and thanks to lots on this forum.

Well done you; keep it up.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
6.9, diagnosed 18 months, quite happy with that. thought it was going to be a lot higher

Reactions: 4 people

michael_n

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.6 and it's my highest since my diagnosis in 2004. I had a bad hypo this spring and I started to have panic attacks while exercising thinking it could happen again so I've been eating a lot of fast-acting carbs when not necessary. I'm feeling kind of down, but I'm hoping for better days to come.

southdenes

im type 2 and still confused by what meter readings actually represent ,obviously I understand a high / low reading but as an example a reading of say 7 and next time you test a reading of 8 what does that extra 1 point actually mean health wise ?

52O342UOIF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im type 2 and still confused by what meter readings actually represent ,obviously I understand a high / low reading but as an example a reading of say 7 and next time you test a reading of 8 what does that extra 1 point actually mean health wise ?
HBA1c represents the ammunt of glycationed hemoglobin in your blood. Since these blood cells are replaced after 3 months the HBA1c can tell how your blood glucose has been. You're meter will give you a current blood glucose value, not a 3 month average. There's a lot of guides where you can learn about what your blood sugar should be, 7-8 mmol/l is on the high side. 1 "point" (should be unit) extra says you've got a higher blood sugar, beware that your blood sugar does fluctuate and the meter isn't a precision instrument.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depending on your meter, if you dig around it might even give you a 90 day average which is very roughly the same kind of thing as what hba1c does, though subtly different. Your meter might even give you an "estimated hba1c" - some do.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Depending on your meter, if you dig around it might even give you a 90 day average which is very roughly the same kind of thing as what hba1c does, though subtly different. Your meter might even give you an "estimated hba1c" - some do.

Ahhhh you've allowed yourself to be fooled there Spiker

While it may seem so (the 90 day average), they are not the same thing - even if you are testing 24 times a day... a glucose blood test is only relevant for the moment of the test (and perhaps a 15 minutes lead time), whereas the haemoglobin is in constant creation / circulation.

My latest HbA1c result (46) is a prime example... according to my meters 90 day average and the hba1c converter app, my HbA1c should have been around 55!

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
7.1 after been diagnosed in july with type 1,was suffering with diabetic ketoacidosis for more than 3 weeks so think they'd of been better if not for that :)

52O342UOIF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

While it may seem so (the 90 day average), they are not the same thing - even if you are testing 24 times a day... a glucose blood test is only relevant for the moment of the test (and perhaps a 15 minutes lead time), whereas the haemoglobin is in constant creation / circulation.

My latest HbA1c result (46) is a prime example... according to my meters 90 day average and the hba1c converter app, my HbA1c should have been around 55!

The meter will usually give a slightly higher average than a A1c result as one often will measure when the BG is elevated. An average BG estimated by the meter can never replace a HBA1c test though.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That's why I said "roughly the same kind of thing but subtly different". I didn't want to confuse the poster with too much complexity. :)

Yes one is an arithmetic mean of a rather unrepresentative and likely biased set of data points and the other is a logarithmically decaying aggregate function of a truly continuous set of data. And they are measured in totally different units that can't be compared. And no two mappings of HBa1c to average BG (as prepared by different research groups) agree with each other. :)