My BG won't come down enough - Type 2

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG won't come down enough! Was happy yesterday was 7.2, lowest ever but today 9.7.been LCHF very strictly. I'm type 2 on 2 metformin daily. What is it??

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My BG won't come down enough! Was happy yesterday was 7.2, lowest ever but today 9.7.been LCHF very strictly. I'm type 2 on 2 metformin daily. What is it??
You've only been doing LCHF for a few days. It could take more like a few weeks to see a shift in BG levels.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
*edited after searching other posts* I can't find in your previous posts many details of what you're eating, apart from a solitary nectarine, and your liking for porridge. If you're still taking in too many carbs (not necessarily a lot) your progress may be slower.
Also I see you are probably suffering from Too Much Information and don't know which way to turn, being tempted by the forum's promise of a way out, yet held back by The White Coat Syndrome (doctors and the NHS are always right).
This happens a lot, judging from other newcomers' frustrations, and I'm sure you'll soon decide whom to trust and follow that path. Discovery leads to recovery, or something :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have been unable to get my blood glucose down by low carbing - always around 8 first thing in the morning. Also, the Atkins Induction diet (less than 20g carb a day and lots of fat) caused me to gain weight - I have been following the diet for several months. I have come to the conclusion that one size does not fit all - the diet simply doesn't work for me. I have re-introduced carbs now with no appreciable affect on my bg readings. (I am following the old Slimming World Original diet - 2 small portions of carb a day.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF takes a while for your body to adapt to, you can't start on Monday and expect non-diabetic BG on Friday.

Even when it is adapted, you can still get blips if you have a cold, infection, period, declining oestrogen and other hormonal stuff.

Stress can put BG up too. Have a row with Significant Other and BG can easily go up 5 points.

Also, what other people can get away with eating, may not be the same as you, that's why you should test after eating. They can be as smug as they like about eating porridge, toast and a 15cm high pile of bacon but remember, high blood glucose is merely a symptom of diabetes.

The lower the BG the lower the risk of complications, but normal or near normal BG doesn't mean that diabetes is cured or even in remission. The important thing, is to lower your insulin level.

High insulin levels cause insulin resistance and insulin resistance causes your pancreas to pump out more insulin to try and overcome it. When your body can't overcome the resistance and clear the BG, that's Type 2 diabetes.

Don't forget that LCHF is moderate protein. According to the World Health Organisation, we only need 1g protein per kilo of bodyweight daily. Excess protein can be stored as fat if your body thinks it's had enough. Protein can be insulinogenic too, I suggest Googling for the Insulin Index. Mostly it's similar to the Glycemic Index but milk for example is insulinogenic because of a couple of milk proteins and also contains the milk sugar, lactose.

Your body may still be trying to use carbs, you may be sneaking a treat in here and there which will keep you out of fat-burning ketosis, you may be eating too much protein or not enough fat.

One size doesn't fit all and you have to let your body have what it needs and restrict what it doesn't in quantities suitable for it.

I don't eat any root veg, bread, pasta, grains, cereals, processed foods, juices or smoothies and very little fruit. There nothing in fruit that you can't get in a range of vegetables - and I mean range. I would like to be able to eat rice, popcorn and Green & Black's chocolate ice cream but long term I know a healthy body is better than any amount of ice cream.

You have to learn what works for you, gradually. Try to do it all at once and you may get overwhelmed.

Reactions: 3 people

southdenes

some interesting points there , im new to posting on here I am type 2 on metformin and gliclozide ,been diabetic 14 years , I have many times said to nurse I am stressed out about one thing or another and think thiscould be part of the reason for high readings ,regarding the low carbing I have been on it a week now no spuds / rice / pasta etc. I have swapped bread for those warburtons thins that come in at 19.3g each or a ryvita so I am averaging 100 g of carbs per day max , I wasn't expecting results overnight so it was interesting to see it could take weeks or more to bring down readings

Reactions: 2 people