Night Sweats

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another sweater here - day and night.
Have suffered for years due to the menopause, and was taking double strength HRT, which caused my Pulmonary Embolism (blood clots in both lungs)
Had to stop my HRT but the sweats weren't too bad.
Since going low carb the sweats are worse - al ot worse.
Wake after 2 hours absolutely red hot and can't get back to sleep even after cooling down.
After about 6am they tail off and I can get a little sleep.

Today I have sweated almost non stop. My hair is wet and I'm exhausted and gasping for breath. Feel as though I should pant like a dog.
Only thing GP can suggest is anti depressants.
I'm not depressed but I soon will be if I can't stop the sweats and get some sleep.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Just some general info about sweating, since several people have posted about this problem.

Excessive sweating is called hyperhidrosis:
http://www.dermnetnz.org/hair-nails-sweat/hyperhidrosis.html

Night sweats are called sleep hyperhidrosis:
http://web.stanford.edu/~dement/sweats.html

Night sweats can be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) which can be associated with T2 diabetes and/or being overweight. Untreated OSA can be life threatening due to stroke, heart attack or falling asleep at the wheel. Symptoms include excessive daytime sleepiness, loud snoring, stopping breathing followed by gasping for air while asleep, dry mouth, headache first thing in the morning, trips to the loo during the night, hunger, depression, and high blood pressure. If you think you might have OSA you should ask your GP to refer you for a sleep study.

Apologies if you have already read one of my posts about OSA... it is often undiagnosed because doctors don't take it seriously enough, so I like to raise awareness. And if getting it treated stops your night sweats, that would be great.

Vanessa_M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm always boiling whether it's in the day or at night... Definitely affects me more at night and also if i wake up in the night i can be awake for half an hour to 2hrs straight so annoying!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm always boiling whether it's in the day or at night... Definitely affects me more at night and also if i wake up in the night i can be awake for half an hour to 2hrs straight so annoying!!
I would suggest getting your thyroid levels checked, as that is the most common cause of this problem. If that level is ok, read the link I posted above for more info about what could be causing it.

carl_watkiss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have day and night sweats for years now can be sitting watching TV and can feel my self getting hotter and sweat will start its like I have had two hours in the gym

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
I have flushes because of my age.