1 week diagnosed and bad eyes

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed Type 1 in May this year. My eyesight deteriorated massively - a complete blur only helped by strong reading glasses but even then couldn't cope with computer based work. It took 3-4 weeks for my eyesight to stabilise and then didn't need glasses at all! My employer was very sympathetic - had a week off after diagnosis and then a fortnight working from home on limited duties as the thought of travelling on the tube with such impaired vision was just too frightening. I would say take time off if you can. It's a huge life change to come to terms with.

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was diagnosed Type 1 at the end of June and had the same problems with my eyes sight. I found a pair of cheap reading glasses helped. for the interim. now things are back to normal and i dont need to wear glasses.

Rodders69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

I apologise if this topic has been covered multiple times already.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 a week ago. My levels at time of going to the hospital was 31. I was kept in over night on fluids and insulin and released 24 hours later with instructions to inject 8 units of fast acting insulin before every meal and I now also have a slow release insulin to take at night. I have managed to over the last couple of days keep my BG between 6 and 10, with the odd spike around 13.

I was suffering with slight blurry vision before diagnosis, but over the last 4 days they have gotten much much worse, to the point of not being able to read my phone and computer (my girlfriend is typing this for me!). It is affecting my work.

I am trying to get some answers from the doctors regarding how long this is going to happen, for and reassurance that this isn't going to cause permanent damage and if I am doing anything wrong. However I am not getting this information and care and getting quite frustrated.

Has anyone had the same experience? Does anyone have any advice on how to help this and what to expect?

thank you in advance!
Matt
Hi Matt,
Just for peace of mind, my eyes were blurred for a while until the sugars get controlled better for a longer period of time. No long lasting damage should have been done but it may take time to correct itself. My nurse advised me that it was an outlet for the sugar to come out from and hence you get a sugar glaze. It WILL disappear with careful management and your doctor should get you booked in for a retinal screening at some point in the not too distant future.
All the best
Rod