Diabetes and Mental Acuity/ Emotional Lability

Ladybirdy75

Glad that it can be fascinating when you're going through the wringer. You're proving your strength to beat this! ;)

Thank you. I've done 4 decades of Type 1 and i don't know who posted it earlier in the thread but i fall right in his .....

2.Eat lots of starchy carbs, keep your HBA1C at 7 or below = you'll escape the first decade or 2 relatively unscathed, however the macrovascular/microvascular damage is being done; the retinopathy, neuropathy, atherosclerosis is nearly knocking at the door..and to top it off u will be middle aged, overweight with Insulin resistance - even if you want to change when problems start occurring it may be too late."

Had a heart attack in March and diagnosed with further coronary heart disease, now recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance and after a thyroid function test last week and I've been called in to discuss treatment for an under active thyroid and to top it all off I'm going to have a lump in my breast, which i found last sunday checked next week . Going to stay positive though . I've also had retinopathy in both eyes and have had a vitrectomy on the left and have nephropathy although very thankfully it's stable and a symptomatic.

I do try so very hard to stay healthy. I eat as healthily as i can (Mediterranean/slimming world combo but no bread, rice, potato, pasta, baked beans just veg, nuts, oily fish and some low GI fruits) plus i exercise every day. Been working hard to bring my HbA1c levels down.

I originally came on here to gen up on T1, breast cancer and managing your levels throughout chemo should the worse happen but found this thread and it lured me in️.

You're all so clever, i often feel like i don't have the mental capacity to work this stuff out. Probably why i'm up the swanny desperately trying to keep hold of my paddle.

I look as fit as a fiddle though

Reactions: 4 people

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You didn't answer my question.
As I mentioned above, I'm creating a post later regarding this issue.

This question warrants a detailed anlysis of the issues to understand the current processes and rationale behind clinical guidlines. Then a subsequent critical review can be given, with context.

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I've done 4 decades of Type 1 and i don't know who posted it earlier in the thread but i fall right in his .....

2.Eat lots of starchy carbs, keep your HBA1C at 7 or below = you'll escape the first decade or 2 relatively unscathed, however the macrovascular/microvascular damage is being done; the retinopathy, neuropathy, atherosclerosis is nearly knocking at the door..and to top it off u will be middle aged, overweight with Insulin resistance - even if you want to change when problems start occurring it may be too late."

Had a heart attack in March and diagnosed with further coronary heart disease, now recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance and after a thyroid function test last week and I've been called in to discuss treatment for an under active thyroid and to top it all off I'm going to have a lump in my breast, which i found last sunday checked next week . Going to stay positive though . I've also had retinopathy in both eyes and have had a vitrectomy on the left and have nephropathy although very thankfully it's stable and a symptomatic.

I do try so very hard to stay healthy. I eat as healthily as i can (Mediterranean/slimming world combo but no bread, rice, potato, pasta, baked beans just veg, nuts, oily fish and some low GI fruits) plus i exercise every day. Been working hard to bring my HbA1c levels down.

I originally came on here to gen up on T1, breast cancer and managing your levels throughout chemo should the worse happen but found this thread and it lured me in️.

You're all so clever, i often feel like i don't have the mental capacity to work this stuff out. Probably why i'm up the swanny desperately trying to keep hold of my paddle.

Hi Ladybird,

Really sorry to hear your experiencing all these issues :(.

I applaud your courage and determination though. Most people would probably curl up into a ball and become a withering recluse. However, looks like your strapped in for a fight.

Reactions: 2 people

Ladybirdy75

Hi Ladybird,

Really sorry to hear your experiencing all these issues :(.

I applaud your courage and determination though. Most people would probably curl up into a ball and become a withering recluse. However, looks like your strapped in for a fight.

Thank you for that Neemo ️. Believe me if i allow myself to dwell on it i do so want to curl up and hide but somehow i keep finding my inner prize fighter lol. Reading through this thread has been a mix of good education and inspiration to do as best i can and feelings of abject horror at the thought it all could be too late and is all my fault. My bloods are stable lately so I'm hoping my emotions will catch up

As a T1 you live and continually learn eh!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that the psychological effects of varying blood sugars badly affect us (Type 1 here). However, in my case all a high fat diet does for me (with or without carbs) is raise my insulin resistance. It's dead predictable. High fat meal - four hours later an uncharacteristically high BS.

The single thing I have found that gives me a gratifyingly glorious on-target all-but-flat blood sugar profile is weight training. With the heaviest weights I can lift, regularly. Exercise generally improves my BSs but weight training is miraculous. Then I can also (in fact, must also) eat a reasonable number of carbs to keep me going.

Not as tasty as a high fat diet of course.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your input.
I appreciate the points your making; they are definitely salient.

Perhaps I didn't articulate my last post as well as I could/should have, but fundamentally, all the points I make are strong.

I'm going to create a post later regarding clinical guidelines issues. Ive sourced some excellent data to illustrate my points.

Would like to get your input once you have read the arguments I make backed up with primary this data.
I look forward to seeing your post.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Exactly. (You're an example to us, Ladybirdy!). Many of us feel in the same boat, up s--- creek without a paddle, and some of us with less to contend with than you. I try to stop my eyes glazing over when trying to grasp the biochemistry, science, maths and the history .... of this condition and trying to understand where it's going now and who is leading the way, and I admit to relying on others to inform me, at the same time trying to judge the quality of their information. I look back in wonder at the 29 year old me who had such faith in the NHS.
I even did a Coursera course on diabetes recently and learned more science in 6 weeks than I ever did at school. Fellow students from all parts of the world and with very different stories about local conditions and (lack of) treatments. It made me appreciate the NHS!
I think this thread is very interesting, even though it addresses contentious issues I (we?) don't like to think about. Heads in the sand and all that.

Reactions: 4 people

Ladybirdy75

Exactly. (You're an example to us, Ladybirdy!). Many of us feel in the same boat, up s--- creek without a paddle, and some of us with less to contend with than you. I try to stop my eyes glazing over when trying to grasp the biochemistry, science, maths and the history .... of this condition and trying to understand where it's going now and who is leading the way, and I admit to relying on others to inform me, at the same time trying to judge the quality of their information. I look back in wonder at the 29 year old me who had such faith in the NHS.
I even did a Coursera course on diabetes recently and learned more science in 6 weeks than I ever did at school. Fellow students from all parts of the world and with very different stories about local conditions and (lack of) treatments. It made me appreciate the NHS!
I think this thread is very interesting, even though it addresses contentious issues I (we?) don't like to think about. Heads in the sand and all that.

We are indeed very lucky to have the NHS. Even that though can make you feel guilty at times. At the moment i feel like I'm taking up a big percentage of funds on my very own .

How great that you got to do the Coursera course and got so much out of it and to meet others on the same quest.

At the very least we can hope to be paving the way for future sufferers. Thank goodness for you and the other boffins on here i say