When it all gets to much?

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello everyone, I'm at the stage now when it's all boiling over. I was diagnosed with a genetic t2. It runs in my dads side of the family. My dad was diagnosed at 34. And I was 30 when I got it. I find people treat me like I inflicted this on myself, and if I did this and I do that I 1 wouldn't have got it and 2 I would control it without meds. I don't understand why everyone has to have an opinion on my illness. And if they actually understood what we go through maybe they would change. When I started to think I had it I went to my doctor and he blanked me said I was over reacting and that the symptoms I was explaining I was to young to have. I had to change doctors to get tested. Now I actually don't talk to anyone about it because all I get is **** advice all the time like I asked for it. Do others get this from people?

Reactions: 14 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
All the time.

But I say talk to friends, educate them about your illness, I've been surprised, good and bad, by friends responses and understanding. But ultimately I hope that if they meet another Type2 they will have a bit of compassion. Also they don't try and persuade me to eat cake..... :)

Reactions: 5 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You can come on here and chat to us, good, bad and ugly - the guys on this forum has seen it all. So Welcome. Sco81.

How you treating? You able to test??? Hopefully @daisy1 will be along with her first timers post. Full of helpful stuff. Only I don't know how to tag anyone from the phone app....duh.

Reactions: 2 people

mrsdsk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I get the same kind of comments, my favourite of which is " oh, that's the mild one isn't it". Not even a question, a statement! Infuriating! My GP wasn't sure what type I had, despite a long family history on my mum's side and gestational diabetes with my son but went with type 2. Some days I almost feel guilty for having diabetes, given the financial burden we place on the NHS! Some (certainly not all!) people just don't understand diabetes. And why would they? Age should never be a reason for not testing for a specific illness if the symptoms fit, you did the right thing going to another doctor. Keep smiling :)

Reactions: 8 people

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I've been a member a while, I try not to bother anyone with my problems but I guess we all in this together really, at the moment I take 1000mg metformin and 80 mg glicazide a day. Also take irbesartan 75 mg and agora station 10 mg. my last hba1c was 68.

louch1

I do hate some peoples or views.
I was invited out in June for a thank you meal for work where I was told those who are on diets ie me was told help yourself to the salad / fruit bar. The attitude stank. Needless to say I never went. I hate the meds , I hate taking blood. I hate people's view on why I must be a diabetic. Yes I am a big girl but I had been doing something about it a few years before. I even ran a 5km race before I was diagnosed. My diabetes is genetic. My mum , her parents and my aunt was diabetic.
I really like this site as I can say things and I know people understand.

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well I go to the gym 4 times a week I am a chef by trade and I make everything I eat. I never order takeaways. Been this way my whole life pretty much. Have always enjoyed being active. Didn't stop me getting t2. A lot of people go there whole lives eating bad and never get diabetes. I found a story about a young doctor who spoke to someone with t2. She was loosing her leg. He judged her thinking it was her fault. 10 years later he was diagnosed with t2 and he realised maybe it wasn't the woman's fault. All he wanted to do was change people's minds.

Reactions: 6 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been a member a while, I try not to bother anyone with my problems but I guess we all in this together really, at the moment I take 1000mg metformin and 80 mg glicazide a day. Also take irbesartan 75 mg and agora station 10 mg. my last hba1c was 68.

@Sco81

Do you treat with diet and exercise at all? Also do you test? Sorry hun, I don't know anything yet about medications as I'm diet only for now.

My aim is keeping my blood sugars within healthy limits, if and when I need drugs for that then I'm straight at the GP's.

HbA1c seems quite high? Is that usual for you???

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I go gym 4 times a week. 1 hour cross trainer, 30 mins bike then an hour with breaks doing weights. I don't eat any starchy carbs at all. I do test 3 times a day mainly because I do a lot of driving. And it ranges between 7-21. My doctor said its not going to work just diet controlled sadly. My hba1c is high yes. My nurse has even said about using insulin.

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hello everyone, I'm at the stage now when it's all boiling over. I was diagnosed with a genetic t2. It runs in my dads side of the family. My dad was diagnosed at 34. And I was 30 when I got it. I find people treat me like I inflicted this on myself, and if I did this and I do that I 1 wouldn't have got it and 2 I would control it without meds. I don't understand why everyone has to have an opinion on my illness. And if they actually understood what we go through maybe they would change. When I started to think I had it I went to my doctor and he blanked me said I was over reacting and that the symptoms I was explaining I was to young to have. I had to change doctors to get tested. Now I actually don't talk to anyone about it because all I get is **** advice all the time like I asked for it. Do others get this from people?
Blaming diabetics for being diabetic is a new phenomenon.
Blame the main stream media .... mouthpieces for government the war machine and the big corporations.
It's the same mentality of blame people on benefits for the world wide economic crash.
When Dyson took his bagless cash making machines abroad for cheaper labour the people who worked hard but were now thrown onto the dole overnight became the work shy feckless benefits scroungers and the worst part about it is the majority of people buy into it!
Hotpoint closed their plant in Llandudno Junction after generations sighting the economic situation.
They didn't explain that the economic situation meant that they had quietly built a new plant in Poland where the labour is cheaper resources are closer and the new emerging markets of Asia would be closer so they could make even more money.
The new emergin market where most of the world population lives giving them three billion more potential customers and .... the hundreds of people of Llandudno Junction who served them for most of their lives are now lazy benefits scrounging scum and there aint much work around them parts so some of them will have to get used to remaining scum possibly for the rest of their lives.
Welcome to modern Britain where the victims get the blame the poor are forced to pay to keep the wealthiest safe and comfortable and where everyone is encouraged to become a petty official by informing on their neighbours. We used to condem Maos China and Stalins Russia for this kind of thinking but it's now becoming the norm here.
Just keep blaming each other ... it helps the real culprits avoid the spotlight.
If you don't like diabetics getting the blame or those losing their jobs getting the blame don't like austerity for the masses to keep your owners comfortable .... stop reading the main stream media ... stop buying it .... complain to the BBC and stop wartching it.
Otherwise you're supporting all this.
Rant over.

Reactions: 21 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoyed your rant very much @JTL - always nice to start the day knowing fellow travellers are about!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I enjoyed your rant very much @JTL - always nice to start the day knowing fellow travellers are about!
I'm glad you enjoyed it ... I try to keep them off here but sometimes they just burst right out!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i am often told ... o thats the one thats not a problem :banghead:
think if they were T2 they would not be saying that anymore

Nice rant JTL

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
It's, not a problem if u want to lose 10-15 years off your life, or if u enjoy waking up every 3 hours coz u need the loo. Or if u don't mind losing the feeling in your hands and feet, or going blind. Yep that's no problem lol.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Sco81, I agree with you wholeheartedly about people's ignorant comments. I am politely assertive with them and push back a little... the sensible ones get the message and start asking for info instead of giving ignorant views, the others ignore what I say and continue... so if I can I quietly drop them out of my life but if they are workmates or close family, I change the subject and limit opportunities for them to comment.

I am concerned about your BG levels and symptoms like needing to go to the toilet in the night. It may well be possible to get your diabetes under better control. I'm no expert on the other types of diabetes but there is info available on conditions like MODY and Monogenic diabetes, that you might be interested in exploring, and I have put some links below. Hopefully others with these conditions will comment.

I am wondering if you might need to go on insulin, since you are taking several diabetes meds and your BGs are not yet well controlled. If you can't get a useful response from your GP, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/which-type-of-diabetes.html

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14047009.php

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18382053.php

Reactions: 9 people
G

graj0

It's, not a problem if u want to lose 10-15 years off your life, or if u enjoy waking up every 3 hours coz u need the loo. Or if u don't mind losing the feeling in your hands and feet, or going blind. Yep that's no problem lol.
Hi Sco81,

sorry to hear that you have run in to so many opinionated @r$0..$, no doubt their profound knowledge comes from a reputable source like the Daily Fail, maybe the Express.
I can't give medical advice but I wonder if a c-peptide test would help you establish how healthy your pancreas is and therefore whether something like gliclazide is able to get your pancreas to produce enough insulin.
The good news is that you followed your own intuition and have discovered something that in later life could have been a really serious problem. I remember many moons ago, my GP telling me that it was OK to drink loads of water, so long as you peed. It was only because of an insurance medical that I discovered high sugar in my urine and blood tests showed high BG.
My approach has been to change my diet Carbs 80gms daily) to help lower my BG in the first place but sadly we may not all have that option, there might come a time when the poor old pancreas holds up the white flag and surrenders.
Try not to take any notice of the idiots, they haven't a clue, they'll be giving you horse racing tips next.
You've obviously got the exercise thing sorted and the food thing, maybe check the carbs. Maybe ask about a c-peptide test, I eventually paid for my own among a whole load of other blood tests, it was about £60 but I was lucky, my pancreas produces normal amounts of insulin, I'm insulin resistant like my incredibly skinny dad and his skinny sister. I admit to needing to lose some weight, but that is another story all together.
All the best.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi all ...my biggest culprits are family and friends ,they are all ways telling me " go on that bit of cake or that piece of pie won`t hurt you " no not it i want to loose a limb or end up blind they wont ...i don`t even try to educate them any more ..if i need help or advice i come here :D

Reactions: 7 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I nearly typed a rant! No, I will restrain myself as I will maintain a calm approach to the population that live on the planet Uranus.

Thousands of people are walking around with undiagnosed Diabetes. The amount of diagnostics associated with autoimmune diseases is on the increase - for those who take control of their own health, do their own research, many can relieve or eliminate their disease by lifestyle change and consuming the right foods.

Our medical system is flawed, terribly flawed. Another example of how flawed it is - I had a skin carcinoma removed and told to stay out of the sun. Where do we get our main vitamin D from? The Sun. Vitamin D is also classed as a hormone necessary for metabolism function, key word, metabolism ;) Have I been offered a blood test to check my Vitamin D levels? No! I take high D3 supplements, so I shouldn't be deficient - My GP is going to be receiving a long report from me on how I got my Glucose levels normal and what I expect in the form of beneficial medical support from them in the future.

When you have a planet Uranus in front of you, that makes strange noises alien to your own. Pity them. for they will be walking towards their own medical destiny, and it might just be worse than yours ;)

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
It seems a very common reaction from people. I feel sorry for all who go through it. It's almost bullying in my opinion. Things need to change. Doctors need to pick up on warning signs. Life changes when u find out. U have a lot to take on board.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Blaming diabetics for being diabetic is a new phenomenon.
Blame the main stream media .... mouthpieces for government the war machine and the big corporations.
It's the same mentality of blame people on benefits for the world wide economic crash.
When Dyson took his bagless cash making machines abroad for cheaper labour the people who worked hard but were now thrown onto the dole overnight became the work shy feckless benefits scroungers and the worst part about it is the majority of people buy into it!
Hotpoint closed their plant in Llandudno Junction after generations sighting the economic situation.
They didn't explain that the economic situation meant that they had quietly built a new plant in Poland where the labour is cheaper resources are closer and the new emerging markets of Asia would be closer so they could make even more money.
The new emergin market where most of the world population lives giving them three billion more potential customers and .... the hundreds of people of Llandudno Junction who served them for most of their lives are now lazy benefits scrounging scum and there aint much work around them parts so some of them will have to get used to remaining scum possibly for the rest of their lives.
Welcome to modern Britain where the victims get the blame the poor are forced to pay to keep the wealthiest safe and comfortable and where everyone is encouraged to become a petty official by informing on their neighbours. We used to condem Maos China and Stalins Russia for this kind of thinking but it's now becoming the norm here.
Just keep blaming each other ... it helps the real culprits avoid the spotlight.
If you don't like diabetics getting the blame or those losing their jobs getting the blame don't like austerity for the masses to keep your owners comfortable .... stop reading the main stream media ... stop buying it .... complain to the BBC and stop wartching it.
Otherwise you're supporting all this.
Rant over.

Here, here.
That is an amazing rant. Thank you for typing it!!

Reactions: 4 people