why i dont low carb

chrissieworne

SLIMMING WORLD GREEN PLAN

Hi guys

I can't low carb either. I really like my wholemeal bread etc and am trying to lower portion size. However, I am desperate to get weight off and my DN says there is no reason why I can't follow Slimming World as I used to do. Green days are high in carbs, veg and fruit, also low fat/fat free yougurts. Anyone else following this? I HAVE TO ADMIT i AM CONFUSED.COM !! :wink:

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi Chrissie
I tried slimming world green day and red day but unfortunately blood sugars went higher. I seem to need to have carbs to feel full and by having a balanced diet seem to be keeping sugars reasonable, though this may change next month when have next HB1AC!

:)

Chris J

nabser

I dont low carb as when i was diagnosed it was not mentioned to me i was told to just eat more healthy and exercise which is what i did.I cut out all the **** ie sweets crisps,fry ups,chips fizzy drinks etc.I also have a breakfast something i never had and i went from 21.5 stone to 12.5 stone and my hba1c when last tested was 5.1,so i am happy following the professionals advice.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Excellent results nabser.
It just shows that adopting a sensible, moderate approach work can work very well. You're now almost half the person you were!

nabser

Thanks phoenix i knew i was a mess and needed to do something with my lifestyle but when you end up in an ambulance on xmas eve 2007 and wake up in intensive care three days later to be told your diabetic and had technically died twice and was within 30 minutes of a full on diabetic coma which was the end for me (my initial blood glucose level was 96.4),then the lifestyle changes are easier to make.Also all the staff in Hospital were excellent as in fairness they saved my life,i am under Dr ******** who is the endocrinologist but with the health system here in Ireland i see him privately but its money well spent as far as i am concerned,but again i can only state i was told to follow a normal healthy diet and i know other peoples circumstances are different,but i do feel most people wont go and see a consultant either through the health system or privately and go on the internet and pick up wrong information that is not suitable for them.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too am lucky in that I have good consultant advice. Like you, I worry that people can get completely the wrong advice on the internet.I'm sure your experiences could be very helpful to others.

jopar

I thought it was time that I spoke up and said why I don’t buy the extreme low carb theory…

I’ve been diabetic long enough that I was under the regime of you have to eat xxx amount of carbs at xxx set time, day in and day out, some one else looked at my log book and determined whether I could eat more or less carbs based on the information data I collected since last clinic… Days out, meals work schedule, parties, etc were all planed regimental style all to fit around my diabetes… so basically some-one else was in control over the fundamental basic human choices that ones has over there lives..

But when I look at the low carb theory, apart from the obvious that it’s a difficult regime to stick too, as the food that you can eat is very limited indeed I have nothing against mashed or grated cauliflower, but to pretend that it’s mash potato or rice well my taste buds will not be fooled… To munch on a concoction of manufactured proteins etc in the guise of low carb bread isn’t for me… I like real food, preferably cooked from scratch with fresh wholesome ingredients…

Then to return to the difficult awkward diabetic that my original regime produced, one where going out the front door means planning above remembering meter and jelly babies… One where friends and relatives dread inviting you to parties, meals BBQ’s etc because what the earths can you eat????

I have in the past looked very closely to whether or not a extreme low carb diet would benefit me in any way, either in improved control or just making life easier… Sadly my research did little to convince me of the benefits suggested…

Benefits suggested..

Better control… Less insulin, less long term complications, smaller numbers less risk of miscalculating…

Me

I have pretty good control, my BG stays mainly in the range of 4-7mmol/l yes sometimes it will go outside this range, but I am a diabetic, and in reality so does a non-diabetic so I’m not going to beat myself up about it…

Less insulin, well yes one can’t argue with that in general the less carbs one consumes the less insulin required… But I as I only average 20 units or under total daily insulin this isn’t a major consideration for me..

The small numbers, yes again one would agree that in general it is easier to work with small numbers… But when you as sensitive to insulin this poses all sorts of problems indeed… Causing hypo’s because you can’t get a small enough amount of insulin that’s required… And I’m not going to do what one site advised another diabetic to do under these circumstances that of diluting there insulin !!!!!!

As to long term complications, well I’ve survived 21 years as a diabetic so far, basically eating a healthy balanced diet of sorts… I have no eye problems, I only wear distance glasses for driving, I have very good hypo awareness which entitles me to legally hold my driving licence, without fibbing to my consultant when it’s time for renewal… My kidneys still doing the job they were designed to do… And the other major fear of ones feet, well mine are still at the end of my legs in perfect nick almost, but the almost isn’t diabetic related, just have a bone that grown where it shouldn’t have, but as it doesn’t interfere with walking or shoes that I may wear, I decided not to have it surgically removed…

Can it make my life easier, far from it…? I would still be testing my blood, monitoring to see if I need to tweak anything so no change there… As said above sourcing and planning takes a lot more time so nope that isn’t easier for me…

As yet there isn’t any definite proof one way or the other, whether by removing a whole food group doesn’t lead to long term health problems apart from the diabetes side of health…

But on my research I have found that one of the reasons behind some of those who choose this regime is the avoid or reduce there pharmaceutical medication… Some because well they don’t want to line the pockets of those that they fundamentally perceive are causing our illness to generate a need of more medication to line there pockets, along side is what we take harmful to us?

But a diet that is said to be what mankind is designed to eat, so it is truly the healthy diet to follow one has to ponder several things…

What is the difference between swallowing a pharmaceutical prepared medication, to that of swallowing a supplement pill or capsule, that has also been manufactured to contain different vitamins and nutrients that are found in what is generally considered to be a normal healthy diet? Which may I add hasn’t been through the same testing and proof that it works and is not harmful in the main as a pharmaceutical medication/drug!

This leads to the simple question, if as some say that low carb provides all the essential nutrients that we require, why the need of supplements? Or is it a case of hedging one bets, just in case there is truth in long term the extreme low carb diet is far from good for you?

I don’t take supplements, or cholesterol lowering tablets…any need to

Romola

Very interesting post. jopar.

Keeping to a healty balanced diet has certainly worked for you - and I am sure it is the right thing for most of us here too.

I don't buy into conspiracy theories - whether NHS or pharmaceutical companies' ones - either.

We have three lovely grandchildren - and it would be horrid if we couldn't eat with them etc because of unnecessary fussiness.

Good for you to share your ideas.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Great post Jopar.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Good post Jopar.

I agree with you for hte most part.
I don't low-carb simply because i have no need to.

I have good control, and i enjoy my life and my food as it is. I love my pizza and lasagne, as well as my chicken salad.
2/3 diabetics die from heart disease and strokes.
Eating a huge amount of fat just doesn't seem like a good idea to me, i have good control of my diabetes, so why would i want to clog up my arteries with fat when i am already at higher risk of a heart attack?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Yup there is.. but i don't eat these often.....

Some of these low-carb diet advocates have huge amounts of fat in their suggested diets...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I know,however I cannot eat a lot of fat ,I have no Gall bladder so fat is not a good idea at all!! So ,although I keep the carbs down I do not eat high fat either and manage very well on what I do eat.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I would avoid Lasagne and Pizza but for different reasons to Sue.

I don't eat high fat but have reduced the carbs. My reason is that when I had a triple by-pass (CABG) in 2004 I thanked my surgeon and promised him I would look after my heart that he had so skillfully repaired.

So, I don't eat high fat but have thrived on the diet that I now use which is low GI/GL and reduced carbs.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
i had lasagne yesterday and a few chips.two hours later my blood sugar was 4.1.maybe i am just lucky.i have to say i never tasted lasagne until i got diabetes but now it is one of my favourites.

dermot

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Just a thought Dermot ,but the next time you have lasagne or anything high fat ,try testing 3 hours after.High fat can inhibit the absorption of carbs and therefore your blood sugar can appear low at 2 hours but may rise after three.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
hi sue i did test after two and a half hours last week and i got a reading of 4.4.next time i will test after 3 hours.i do use wholewheat lasagne sheets,low fat cheese and lean mince

great post jopar

dermot

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Dermot, I also enjoy lasagne and always have, if cooked correctly it certainly doesn't have to be high in the "bad" fats. The delayed increase in bg levels is down to the pasta, it is quite low in GI and therefore absorbed slowly. Wholemeal pasta slightly lower than the white variety, so takes even longer to raise bg.

Instead of bolusing insulin in one dose immediately as I would normally do, I have to spread the dose over 4 hours for white pasta, and 5 hours for wholemeal. My bg targets are higher than for a T2, but in this way I can easily stay below 7.5 throughout and beyond.

Have to say I abandoned wholemeal pasta a few years ago after eating it for 20 years or so, and now go for the authentic white. The bg characteristics/profile are almost the same, but I was driven by the taste.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My lasagna isn't high fat.
Anyone want the recipe?
Hana