Too low to sleep on?

Marzeater

What BG reading is thought too low to go to bed with?
Last night I had a reading of 3.4 before bed so I had a bowl of frosties. ( I know it was the wrong thing too have )
This morning I found it very hard to come fully awake, probably overdosed on the sugar but it got me thinking if it would be OK to sleep after a low result.
:roll:

LizzieP

Hi Marzeater
Anything at 4 or below is offically considered to be a hypo and recommended advice would be to treat it as such by taking about 15 grams of carbohydrate, waiting for 15 mins, testing again to see if back to normal and then eating a small amount of slow acting carb to keep things even.
I really wouldn't advise going to bed on a 3.4. That truly is a hypo. How did you feel? Did you have any symptoms (shaky, sweaty, hungry, generally feeling ******)? You had the right idea about eating something for the 3.4 but a whole bowl of Frosties wouldn't be the right thing (as you point out). Good hypo treatments are a few jellie babies, fruit pastilles or skittles (but not too many!) or, what works best and most quickly for me, is a small amount of Lucozade (I don't really like the taste so it's not tempting to drink too much of it).
So, to answer your question, I would say 3.4 is certainly too low to sleep on and shouldn't be attemted as you might not be able to feel how quickly you are dropping! :D

LizzieP

Hi again,
Have I understood you properly? Did you mean is it ok to go to bed if you are at 3.4 or ok to go to bed after treating the 3.4. Sorry, just wanted to be clear ! :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You are on Gliclizide,a hypo inducing drug. Marzeater. 3.4 is definitely too low to go to bed safely.As Lizzie said ,you need to boost bg's before bed.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
LizzieP said:
Hi again,
Have I understood you properly? Did you mean is it ok to go to bed if you are at 3.4 or ok to go to bed after treating the 3.4. Sorry, just wanted to be clear ! :D

LizzieP you are type 1 ,definitely do not go to bed at a level of 3.4!! :shock: :shock: You would neeed to boost bg's up first.

( I'm confused as to who is asking what here!!!!Off to lie down in darkened room for a while!!! :( )

Marzeater

LizzieP said:
Hi Marzeater
I really wouldn't advise going to bed on a 3.4. That truly is a hypo. How did you feel? Did you have any symptoms (shaky, sweaty, hungry, generally feeling ******)? You had the right idea about eating something for the 3.4 but a whole bowl of Frosties wouldn't be the right thing (as you point out). Good hypo treatments are a few jellie babies, fruit pastilles or skittles (but not too many!) or, what works best and most quickly for me, is a small amount of Lucozade (I don't really like the taste so it's not tempting to drink too much of it).
So, to answer your question, I would say 3.4 is certainly too low to sleep on and shouldn't be attemted as you might not be able to feel how quickly you are dropping! :D

Hi Lizzie I had the 'recognisable' symptoms - shakes , feeling ****. I've had a few low results before but not close to bed time. The lowest I've seen was a 3.1. They seem to be more frequent since my GP upped the Gliclazide. I must go and discuss it with him.
As for jelly babies, fruit pastilles and especially liquorice alsorts they are all banned from our house because I can't stop at one or two. I have to see off the whole box. :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Marzeater.

All good advice from Lizzie and everybody here. I think you have pointed out the thing that may be the main culprit - Gliclazide as Sue pointed out earlier. A med that can induce HypoGlycaemia when it reduces your Bg too low. You may well be overmedicated. Glad to see you are going to discuss it with your GP.

I recently suffered Hypo's every evening for a week. This was finally tracked down to being overmedicated. Glic and Met were stopped and now that is a thing of the past. As a T2 I was a bit concerned as to what would happen while I was asleep and at Hypo levels ? My Endo informed me that I would naturally 'liver dump' and that the BG levels would rise accordingly.....I Hope ?? :D

Ken.