Another newbie. Type 1.

Sadie_k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I am a newbie here. Just looking for the extra support and advice from others :)

Reactions: 2 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Sadie_k, welcome to the forum

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Sadie_k and welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place for advice, help & support :)

Reactions: 4 people

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On the postive front, being Type 1 (I myself was diagnosed Type 2 in 2011, and found out yesterday that in fact I am Type 1) you won't have to go through all the different pills they give you to help with Type 2. You can start with Insulin and get the dose right for you.

Also...Red wine I am told contains no carbs....as do spirits......but you need to eat some carbs after if you have had a big night out!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Sadie_k
welcome to the forum :)

lots of great people here to help and offer support if needed.

Sadie_k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@james_1d unfortunately for me Iam not a drinker it's portion sizes and the feeling hungry all the time I struggle with and then the depression and feeling worthless, it's like a vicious circle

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Sadie_k
what can we do to help ?
you mention portion sizes -- I am taking that to mean that you aren't getting enough to eat but are eating the so - called right amount your care team have told you to eat for the dose of insulin that you are taking ??

keep posting -- we can work on portions and what to eat ( don't want you starving -- no fun at all )

and PS -- you are very brave for posting here and I am positive you are a lovely young lady
we'll get you sorted and happy soon as !!!:)

Sadie_k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@himtoo Iam a very big eater normally and when I was told I had diabetes and diet was the biggest thing I had to change I completely shut off and ignored everything they told me. I ate what I wanted and never bother to take my readings in the mornings and got really lazy with my tablets and insulin. But someThings got to give as My depression has got to a complete low and it's starting to affect others around me and my last hab1c was 117 and they basically told me either I sort myself out or Iam going the right way to ending up in hospital. My care team are useless and my nurse is always off sick so don't feel I am treated as an individual but rather the stereotype!! I love food but I only have to cook for myself so I like quick simple lazy solutions and I snack a lot too. Sorry if I've gone in a bit but is so nice writing to others that understand where I am
Mentally and not judging me or telling me Iam failing

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
:) bless you hun -- you are not failing -- food is not just fuel -- it is a pleasure to be enjoyed
we will get your A1c down with support on the forum

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sadie,

It's all about making small, progressive changes over time; build those 'good' habits, and make them stick.

Having to control and restrict what you eat is really hard; eating is such a natural, pleasurable activity. But don't despair, there are so many foods diabetics can eat (healthily)that are delicious, it takes a lot of effort at times, but it's worth it for the sake of your long term health.

Regarding appetite, I would recommend doing some research on satiety(food fullness factor), certain foods e.g
proteins (chicken breast, etc), monosatuared fats (avocados, pistachios, cashews) and veggies (love/hate for me, but keep me full) are superb at curbing hunger.
here's a link to start you off;
http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthy...anding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

The mental/emotional health aspect is totally linked to control, I've been diabetic for 20 years, the periods where my control was poor affected my emotions/outlook a lot. When my diabetes is under control, I feel normal/amazing.

Reactions: 3 people

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@james_1d unfortunately for me Iam not a drinker it's portion sizes and the feeling hungry all the time I struggle with and then the depression and feeling worthless, it's like a vicious circle

Your not alone. I was close to 19 stone before I was diagnosed. On the meds for Type 2, I lost a lot....down to 16 stone.....but the BS remained high, and I stopped measuring, and I kept eating lots....as in I'd eat a bacon sarnie, crisps after 9pm....and for a time ignored my condition. I have only done more about it recently as I've been feeling low too...and unwell. Mood swings too.

It's not easy, but you can't ignore it. So keep testing, keep an honest diary if you can...and keep at the Doctors....mine too took a long time to get his finger out and do the antibody test to then find it positive for Type 1....so for years I could have been on Insulin and feeling better! Not sure if getting BS under control will help with depression...but I'm feeling more positive I now have the correct diagnosis at least and a lot tell me Insulin will help!

Good luck and keep us posted....you are not alone!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
hello and welcome...never feel alone...there are many of us and you are in the right place for help :)

clinton137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sadie,

As other have said you are not alone, I am not Type 1,(Type 2), but i have had to make changes to my diet. I too enjoy food, especially high carb foods. However, with time and a little self control lowering your intake can be done. Take little steps at a time, read the very useful information on this site, ask a lot of questions (No such thing as a stupid one).
I have cut out of my diet, patatoes, rice, pasta, and bread of every kind. After a couple of days it just feels normal. You soon learn what is ok for you. Regular testing is the key, before you eat and two hours after. keep you chin up keep smileing :).

Reactions: 3 people