Stress lows

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
So I know you all know this but I a living proof that a stressful situation can cause a significant drop in BG! I was in a meeting today which I had anticipated would be a stressful one so I had checked directly before and was 8.2 with a steady arrow (CGM) so I ate 4 jelly babies and headed in! Coffee was served and grabbed a biscuit and didn't bolus - 2 hours later I was below 3!! Usual situation of not wanting to draw attention to myself but my boss noticed I was struggling and very graciously offered a 'comfort break' to everyone so I was able to treat without a fuss. The problem is, when I am pumping adrenalin (the same happens when I am running) my low symptoms are less reliable. So basically, it sucks! Spent most of this evening 'wishing' I had eaten more jelly babies and biscuits at the front end! Shoulda woulda coulda

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Trust you to be different @Debloubed ;)

Seriously though that is interesting as usually stressful situations result in higher bg levels, I know this is the case with myself. Really good of your boss to notice that you were running low and call a break, maybe next time try having some slower acting carbs or use a TBR before going into the meeting.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
What a good boss you have! That was very smart and thoughtful of them.

Reactions: 2 people

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I know, I am lucky but interestingly, today he and I had a meeting and half way through he produced some biscuits!! I think he is paranoid! But it is kind of him, just makes me feel bad I suppose, I don't like to be a bother, haha!

maartymaart

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same thing happen to me @Debloubed, if in a stressful situation, or even situation where I get anxious, my BG will drop. I always try to cover myself but it does depend on a lot of variables.

Great that you have a boss who knows what to look for and will act on it. They are few and far between.

Great advice there too @noblehead. Crakers and cheese is one of my favs for a longer lasting hit.