My mother does not understand.

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been diagnosed diabetic since June 2013 but my mother keep saying iam not diabetic and that I don't need tablets or novo rapid insulin , although I'm gonna still not going to listen to my mother how do I get her to understand that I am diabetic and need the medication

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to say I'm type 2 and have brittle asthma as well

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, maybe she is in denial that her child has diabetes an she could be feeling guilty in some way. You know what you are with your diabetes and you need to take your medication, if she doesn't listen to what you are saying, ignore any negative remarks, just blank it, don't get into conversations about it and if she does actually acknowledge your condition at some point, then have good chat about it. Good luck and I hope things improve for you.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
eat the same as mum and both yest bloods for two days

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds like a horrid situation to be in, I'm sorry this is happening to you. I would suggest she is in shock and ignoring that her daughter is sick, however, what I am going to say next is not intended to hurt you or anger you so please don't take it that way. I fail to understand what your mother has to do with the situation. You are 26 according to your profile, and I'm going to assume you're in the UK so I don't understand what her feelings have to do with you getting your meds or not. You are diabetic and if you don't get the treatment you need then you will start to suffer serious complications, and this is the most important thing for you to remember.
I would recommend that you sit down with your mum and google diabetes and the complications arising from it. If she sees what could happen then maybe she'll understand your situation better. If she doesn't, then draw a line under it and ignore her when she says it. Your first priority is yourself. I hope she comes around to understand, she could be a great support.

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank for all ur comments y I'm so worrie is I've got a 4 yr old son and if for some reason I become ill (live with mother) she understands what to do with my medication if I can't self administer she the only one around me who could do it apart from paramedics of course so with what she say I'm worrie she won't now what to do in that situation but she would if she accepted I had diabetes becuz we could talk about it but she won't even do that

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would she be open to going to the next appointment with you? Maybe if she heard it from a doctor she might understand.
I'm so sorry you're in this situation, something else you really don't need to deal with.

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sorry for plight. You just have to look after yourself and treat your diabetes in the manner you have been instructed. All the aggro with your mum won't help your bg so best to concentrate on you. I am sure your mum will eventually accept the fact your diabetic and all the suggestions as above may be of help, but don't let it eat up your days trying. Good luck

Reactions: Nooch1

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank for all ur comments y I'm so worrie is I've got a 4 yr old son and if for some reason I become ill (live with mother) she understands what to do with my medication if I can't self administer she the only one around me who could do it apart from paramedics of course so with what she say I'm worrie she won't now what to do in that situation but she would if she accepted I had diabetes becuz we could talk about it but she won't even do that

I can see why that would worry you. It could just be that your mother is finding it hard to come to terms with and so is coping with it at the moment by pretending all is well. That could also be why she's not keen on talking about it, as it would be a reminder of the situation.

On the other hand, maybe she's just not up on diabetes knowledge? I didn't know much about it until I got it. Could she think that you can't be diabetic because you're young/too old/whatever?

If you're worried about her reacting if you were ill, then taking her along to your next aPpointment might be a good idea. Alternatively, you could get some info sheets and leave them around casually, and put any 'emergency guidelines' on the fridge. You could say the doctor gave them to you because diabetes can be serious.

Do you have any other friends or relatives who could support you?

Reactions: 4 people

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
Also Been diagnosed diabetic since last year. In fact, you can search alternative for the medication such as good diet and frame a good exercise plan.

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been diagnosed diabetic since June 2013 but my mother keep saying iam not diabetic and that I don't need tablets or novo rapid insulin , although I'm gonna still not going to listen to my mother how do I get her to understand that I am diabetic and need the medication
My sister was the same when i was diagnosed with type 1, in 2006, my niece was 3 at the time and she asked my sister what happens when i take my medicine, my sister told her when i take the needle out of my skin and all my blood spurted out, my wee niece totally freaked out when she seen me take my insulin for the first time, i sat her down and explained it all to her, my sister did reslly fully appreciate what diabetes is till last year when i took a bad hypo in front of her, my bs was almost non existent, my point is that people are ignorant and closed minded about these things, My 8 year old son knows everything about diabetes that i know, he knows what to do if im unwell or if i pass out, it may be worth teaching your child about diabetes, and what to do if you are ill, i mean no disrespect when i say this, you're child may be the only one you can depend on in an emergency situation. i hope that you're mum can accept your diabetes, its hard enough for diabetics to accept it :(

bevg

when you next have an appointment with the doctor or diabetic nurse ask her to go with you then you don't forget anything they tell you then once in the room tell them she think's there is nothing wrong with you and they will soon put her right. my husband is the same I have quite a few thing's wrong with me as well as diabete's and I keep offering to make an appointment so they will inform him but he won't go. he know's just what he would get.

Reactions: 5 people

Liso66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes - Boredom - Lima Beans - Brussell Spouts - Dogs stuffed in shoulder-bags (Dogs are not an accessory) Shopping. (Yeah, I know. Broken female gene)
Take her to a doctors appointment with you? Have the doctor explain it all, show her your results, blood test, etc. Compare them to a normal hba1c. I am unsure if anyone said it, I admit, I skimmed. ;)

Good luck. I have stubborn parents, but not with this.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm 44yrs old and moved 18mths ago next to my single mum and 2 married sisters. The idea was do I could have some support after my husband had a breakdown.
My diabetes hasn't responded well to all the stress and to top it all off my mum turned nasty on my partner then me. She wanted me to leave him and live with her. I am a loyal person so that would never happen. Her support is none existant and looks to be guaranteed that way. She has bought my kids a pair of shoes and £10 worth of clothes in a year. What insults me the most is she spends double that every week in bingo. I don't want money from her but hands on support with the 2yr old would be nice. I'm very hurt and disappointed in her but I get annoyed at myself for thinking she had changed. :-(
My advice is to live your life and hope she never has to deal with this nasty frightening disease on her own. Stay strong. Goodluck

Reactions: Nooch1

Emma1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Aww honey, I am sorry. I have had similar from my mother who told me "I deserved it". Shes a qualified staff nurse who assumed my diabetes was weight based not medical based. Keep talking, I cut all contact with my mum 2 years ago, and am better for it, but it seems your mum is probably upset her baby is sick and in denial than malicious like mine.

You have this forum here as a go to when you need to talk, I find it helpful xx

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should be able to teach your son what to do if you have a falling down hypo. Years ago my 2 year old grandson could smell when I was going hypo (long before I felt it coming on) and used to fetch me a bottle of lucozade from the fridge, bless him. :)

His mum is reactive hypoglycemic and he used to get her a glass of milk when she went down, he would have been about 4 by the time this happened, your son will manage............he loves his mum so he'll learn :D

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry anit replied been in hospital thank for all ur comments I'll give it a go but not sure they will work

Reactions: 5 people

Nooch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi if any one here went to diabetic consultant yesterday (Friday 18 sept) has put me on humalin 1 and have to inject b4 breakfast 8units mother sat in her car and said she did have to come into the appointment so still battling with her to get her to understand that loosing weight won't stop me from being diabetic I agree that it could help, but not cured it my suger today just keep rising
Before breakfast -10.5
Lunch 13.3
lunch check +2hrs - 15.5 stressed as having to look after myself and then try get her to understand it like walking though a brick wall

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi if any one here went to diabetic consultant yesterday (Friday 18 sept) has put me on humalin 1 and have to inject b4 breakfast 8units mother sat in her car and said she did have to come into the appointment so still battling with her to get her to understand that loosing weight won't stop me from being diabetic I agree that it could help, but not cured it my suger today just keep rising
Before breakfast -10.5
Lunch 13.3
lunch check +2hrs - 15.5 stressed as having to look after myself and then try get her to understand it like walking though a brick wall
Hugs. Hang in there.
Hopefully the insulin will start helping soon.