Not diabetic anymore??? Confused as heck :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow! You do take a lot of meds!

My wife has a similar amount of meds, she has degenerative discs and the nerve (sciatic) is trapped between disc and spine, she cannot have an op!
She is permanently in pain! And can't do .much at all!
She has been advised not to fly or travel long distances, in case it would make her paralyzed!

I wouldn't like to speculate on which med it is that affects your blood glucose levels. Probably them all in a slight way and pain will raise it anyway!

The wife is on a gliptin inhibitor for her T2. I believe it is better than a sulfoneria for those who can't get about!

Reactions: 2 people

Andyd95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my new HbA1c result and it's down from 6.5 or 48.5 to 5.7 Folate is down from 19.1 to 17.1 Ferratin is up from 167 to 225 which is why I have to have a liver scan. My fasting BG is 5.4 and my ESR is 35 which she says is normal. My cholesterol was HDL normal Triglycerides normal and LDL normal ...overall it is 5.8 and she wants it down to 5.2 which is confusing as it is all normal ? She now says I am NOT diabetic as my new HbA1c is 5.7...only achieved by eating like a type 2 diabetic!!!!. She says now to go back to eating cereal for breakfast, bread, potatoes etc and get my ferrratin re tested in 3 months. I am totally confused and according to the nurse I am not diabetic ...BUT....WILL be if I eat carbs again and am retested in 12 months !!!! Confused as hell :(
My hba1c comes in at 32. But I'm on up to 5 injections a day! I have to have a fructosamine test to get accurate blood results.

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
Wow! You do take a lot of meds!

My wife has a similar amount of meds, she has degenerative discs and the nerve (sciatic) is trapped between disc and spine, she cannot have an op!
She is permanently in pain! And can't do .much at all!
She has been advised not to fly or travel long distances, in case it would make her paralyzed!

I wouldn't like to speculate on which med it is that affects your blood glucose levels. Probably them all in a slight way and pain will raise it anyway!

The wife is on a gliptin inhibitor for her T2. I believe it is better than a sulfoneria for those who can't get about!
Hi Nosher8355. As requested, I have taken my BG readings every half hour, and I think you may be right about my meds!!!
Readings as follows:- Before breakfast 8.15am 5.3, took meds @ 9.15am 10.0, 9.45am 10.9, 10.15am 8.9, 10.45am 7.4, 11.15am 6.2, 11.45am 4.7, 12.15pm 3.9 -ate my emergency flapjack as we were out din the car. 12.55pm 6.2. Then ate lunch at 2.35pm! So.....what do you think????

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher8355. As requested, I have taken my BG readings every half hour, and I think you may be right about my meds!!!
Readings as follows:- Before breakfast 8.15am 5.3, took meds @ 9.15am 10.0, 9.45am 10.9, 10.15am 8.9, 10.45am 7.4, 11.15am 6.2, 11.45am 4.7, 12.15pm 3.9 -ate my emergency flapjack as we were out din the car. 12.55pm 6.2. Then ate lunch at 2.35pm! So.....what do you think????
Hi @GrannyAnnie

Yes I think it is your meds, but keep testing. Because if it is the meds, you are having to much of a gap between meals. You need to eat little and often. To stop you going low.
Have a word with your GP and be honest with him about you going low and to test that it is the glucose lowering meds. They have done you good, but you need to be in control.

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
Hi @GrannyAnnie

Yes I think it is your meds, but keep testing. Because if it is the meds, you are having to much of a gap between meals. You need to eat little and often. To stop you going low.
Have a word with your GP and be honest with him about you going low and to test that it is the glucose lowering meds. They have done you good, but you need to be in control.
Thanks for that Nosher8355! I'll try and get an appointment to sort this out! Mind you, by the time I actually get to see the doc.......
or should I see the diabetes nurse? I saw her in July and she told me they are now only doing 12 monthly checks instead of every 6 months! But she said I could see her if I had any worries at any time! Very difficult to get an appointment with either of them these days!!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for that Nosher8355! I'll try and get an appointment to sort this out! Mind you, by the time I actually get to see the doc.......
or should I see the diabetes nurse? I saw her in July and she told me they are now only doing 12 monthly checks instead of every 6 months! But she said I could see her if I had any worries at any time! Very difficult to get an appointment with either of them these days!!!
You have t o insist these days, fight for the right to be seen. Only GPs are suppose to change meds. Don't take no for an answer!
Tell them it's an emergency that your hypos are bad and thinking of phoning an ambulance.
Meanwhile eat less more often, reducing your carbs and increasing your protein and full fat!

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
You have t o insist these days, fight for the right to be seen. Only GPs are suppose to change meds. Don't take no for an answer!
Tell them it's an emergency that your hypos are bad and thinking of phoning an ambulance.
Meanwhile eat less more often, reducing your carbs and increasing your protein and full fat!
Oh Crikie!! I can't eat full fat!! I have eaten low fat everything for the past thirty years as fatty stuff makes me throw up! I have to be careful what I say to them as I am waiting for my knee replacement and they might cancel it again! I've got my pre op assessment on Tuesday. By the way...my diabetes nurse has always been the one to do my meds! When I saw my doctor about my diabetes, he went straight into the nurses and then told me that I could see the diabetes nurse straight away as she should be the one to sort out any problems!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bliley! That's complicated!

Ok whatever it takes to get your op and your meds as well!

Little and often!

Oh yeah! I would advise against eating low fat stuff as the fat is replaced by sugars. Which is bad for diabetics!
Change to butter instead of spreads, cream instead of milk! Eat more cheese!
Full fat Greek yoghurt plain with berries, plus a couple of pieces of 85% dark chocolate!
Mmmm!

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
Bliley! That's complicated!

Ok whatever it takes to get your op and your meds as well!

Little and often!

Oh yeah! I would advise against eating low fat stuff as the fat is replaced by sugars. Which is bad for diabetics!
Change to butter instead of spreads, cream instead of milk! Eat more cheese!
Full fat Greek yoghurt plain with berries, plus a couple of pieces of 85% dark chocolate!
Mmmm!
Thanks for all your help Nosher8355! I will do my best but as for cheese.....YUCK YUCK YUCK! don't even like touching the stuff. Have been using butter this past week, so will stay with it now. Don't use milk at all (another thing I can't stand! I blame school milk being kept by the radiator).Yoghurt & berries sound good. Not a fan of chocolate, but will give it a go. Awkward moo ain't I HEHE!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for all your help Nosher8355! I will do my best but as for cheese.....YUCK YUCK YUCK! don't even like touching the stuff. Have been using butter this past week, so will stay with it now. Don't use milk at all (another thing I can't stand! I blame school milk being kept by the radiator).Yoghurt & berries sound good. Not a fan of chocolate, but will give it a go. Awkward moo ain't I HEHE!!
Yoghurt and berries are YUM, and so is thickened cream with berries... omg yum yum lol :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oh Crikie!! I can't eat full fat!! I have eaten low fat everything for the past thirty years as fatty stuff makes me throw up! I have to be careful what I say to them as I am waiting for my knee replacement and they might cancel it again! I've got my pre op assessment on Tuesday. By the way...my diabetes nurse has always been the one to do my meds! When I saw my doctor about my diabetes, he went straight into the nurses and then told me that I could see the diabetes nurse straight away as she should be the one to sort out any problems!!
You should try to wean yourself back onto fat.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a recently-diagnosed-T2, so am on the initial very steep learning curve, and it's giving me LOTS of food for thought about the NHS!

I asked my diabetic nurse what would happen if I got my levels down to 'normal' - would I fall right off their radar? She said they'd be for ever checking me, but that it would drop back to an annual testing. But guess what, after the initial diagnosis testing and a 3-monthly repeat, they've already put me back to an annual testing! This is with an HbA1c of 47, both at diagnosis and 3 months later.

I'm just keeping my details to myself at present - I just know the GP and nurse would tell me a low carb diet wasn't necessary, nor do I need a monitor and to do testing ((both of which I've been doing, plus increasing exercise). It reminds me of times long ago (in the 60s and 70s) when various friends and family, including me, used alternative treatments and remedies - and only went to the NHS when they couldn't do without their resources. You knew then that the GP would look at you as if you were a bit bonkers, and it seems the same now with regard to any approach to treating diabetes that's not in their book of guidelines.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my new HbA1c result and it's down from 6.5 or 48.5 to 5.7 Folate is down from 19.1 to 17.1 Ferratin is up from 167 to 225 which is why I have to have a liver scan. My fasting BG is 5.4 and my ESR is 35 which she says is normal. My cholesterol was HDL normal Triglycerides normal and LDL normal ...overall it is 5.8 and she wants it down to 5.2 which is confusing as it is all normal ? She now says I am NOT diabetic as my new HbA1c is 5.7...only achieved by eating like a type 2 diabetic!!!!. She says now to go back to eating cereal for breakfast, bread, potatoes etc and get my ferrratin re tested in 3 months. I am totally confused and according to the nurse I am not diabetic ...BUT....WILL be if I eat carbs again and am retested in 12 months !!!! Confused as hell :(

Your stats are encouraging! I wonder if it would be a good idea to go along with the idea of 'not being diabetic' any more for travel insurance purposes, but to keep on with the successful diet? If I were fortunate to achieve your levels, I'd still be self-monitoring - and I know that certain cereals and most bread would spike my BG levels. Mind you, even if I have bread now, say a half slice of soy and linseed, I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I might!

Al44

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a recently-diagnosed-T2, so am on the initial very steep learning curve, and it's giving me LOTS of food for thought about the NHS!

I asked my diabetic nurse what would happen if I got my levels down to 'normal' - would I fall right off their radar? She said they'd be for ever checking me, but that it would drop back to an annual testing. But guess what, after the initial diagnosis testing and a 3-monthly repeat, they've already put me back to an annual testing! This is with an HbA1c of 47, both at diagnosis and 3 months later.

I'm just keeping my details to myself at present - I just know the GP and nurse would tell me a low carb diet wasn't necessary, nor do I need a monitor and to do testing ((both of which I've been doing, plus increasing exercise). It reminds me of times long ago (in the 60s and 70s) when various friends and family, including me, used alternative treatments and remedies - and only went to the NHS when they couldn't do without their resources. You knew then that the GP would look at you as if you were a bit bonkers, and it seems the same now with regard to any approach to treating diabetes that's not in their book of guidelines.

Hear hear Jennifer; when I first suggested almost 2 years ago to my GP and diabetes nurse that a low carb diet might help my T2, both were dismissive. Then a year ago they stopped prescribing test strips, "unnecessary & not helpful for a T2 on Metformin". So I buy the strips and test myself, and thereby obtain confirmation that low carb works for me: when I'm 'good', fasting BG between 5 & 6; when I'm 'bad', between 7.5 & 8.5. The testing reinforces 'good' eating and discourages 'bad'.

Interestingly, in the last few months both GP & nurse have changed their tune: they disapprove of testing still, as "unnecessary & worrying for a T2 on Metformin", but grudgingly admitting "low carb may help some people". OK, the NHS is under pressure and test strips are expensive, but keeping itself, the patient, and the general public ignorant of diabetes realities only adds to its costs.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think it depends on the GP practice. My lastest hba1c just over a month ago was 36 but they still want to do 6 monthly reviews - next one is in January 2016 so I will book the latest one possible as it's so soon after Christmas and the New Year. Whilst not all things run smoothly at my GPs I looked on the stats and they have a good record for diabetes care - even if they don't prescribe meters and strips for T2s unless on insulin or Glizacide!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Funnily, I hate milk myself!
Do not have butter, cream, cheese! But I love full fat Greek yogurt!
But I'm weird!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your stats are encouraging! I wonder if it would be a good idea to go along with the idea of 'not being diabetic' any more for travel insurance purposes, but to keep on with the successful diet? If I were fortunate to achieve your levels, I'd still be self-monitoring - and I know that certain cereals and most bread would spike my BG levels. Mind you, even if I have bread now, say a half slice of soy and linseed, I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I might!
I am continuing with the same way of eating...low carb and higher fat and that's how it will stay. I don't test as often now as I pretty much know what affects my bg. If I try something new I will test but generally I have cut back on it as I know the results will be fine. The only change I have made is I allow myself one slice of bread now and then...not often but occasionally and that is about it and I don't plan to change anything else

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You know you now, you have done the necessary in getting your blood glucose levels down.
You have found your way in getting control.
No one should distract you from feeling better and healthier.
Everything else will follow!

Good on yer girl!

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. You carry on what you are doing, you're doing well :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the bread subject, I've had a slice of German Rye (M&S) for brekkie yesterday and today, and the affects on my BG seem to be smaller than they were the last time I ate the stuff a couple of months ago.

In fact today I went from 5.6 fasting, 6.8 1 hour and 5.4 2 hours