Blood Pressure Monitor

broxiebear1

hi can anyone help .
my d/b nurse is going to put me on 24 hr blood testing monitor iv been told that it is a clumsey thing to carry about with you for 24 hrs , the problem is i am a commercial tyre fitter do roadside breakdowns etc will i have to take a day off work or will it be ok .
my blood test at surgery was high and they dont like testing at home so thats why iv got to take 24hr trst.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: blood testing

Depends on the model, but the one I had was about the size of a mobile phone, maybe a bit squarer. Can feel a bit odd, but I think working would be ok. Have a think whereabouts (side, front or back) the monitor is least likely to get knocked when you're working and clip it to your belt there. I found it best clipped to my waistband but with the monitor box inside my trouser waistband and held against me by the waistband, rather than on the outside like you would with a phone. That way it jiggled about less when I walked so I was less aware of it. There's a long lead between the sensor and the monitor, so you can reposition it easily. They usually supply a plastic bag that hangs round your neck so you can shower - you could always use one of those under your overalls at work if not practical on your waist.

Most monitors last for 72 hours so you'd need to take 3 days off if that's what you decide. But I think better to work if you can, so you're in your normal routine. Otherwise the readings may not show your usual pattern and the results would be less useful.

broxiebear1

Re: blood testing

thanks for that sue
db nurse said 24hr one i have tested myself at home using a boots monitor first thing when i get up and just after 7 readings are -110 79 pulse 73 , 122 86 p81 , 106 76 p67 and 119 77 p 75
i think these tests are ok :D

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Blood Testing Monitor

Oh sorry, you mean 24-hour blood pressure monitor - I thought you meant blood sugar monitor! In that case ignore my previous comments.

My dad had a 24-hour bp monitor and found it okay, he managed to cycle with it on. Apparently when it does a reading you feel it squeeze your arm hard just like when the doctor checks it, so you need to be ready to stop driving when it happens.

Your readings sound ok, maybe you have 'white coat sydnrome' (ie it goes up with the stress of seeing a doctor/nurse). The monitor will show what's happening on a normal day.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Broxiebear.

I think there has been some confusion here about what is actually being measured ? You are quoting blood pressure readings not Bg levels. Therefore it is a Blood Pressure Monitor !!

You wear the monitor doing your normal day and night time activities, You do not need to take any time off work at all. The monitor is just clipped to your belt or worn around the neck in a halter and the cuff is around your upper arm.

They are easy to wear and cause no problems with any activity.

Hope that makes things clear ?

Ken

SNAP !! :D