Curious! How and what do you all take to treat your hypos?

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance and cruelty to animals and people
Hi I am just curious to how and what we all take to treat our hypos?
When I first became Type 1 Diabetic in 1993 I was told to have a glass of milk and eat 2 Digestive biscuits.
For the past 14 years though I have 15ml of Lucozade and Alpen Bars. I then wait 10 to 15mins and check my blood sugar again.
Lucozade for the instant sugar and Alpen Bars because they are made of oats and oats are a slow release carbohydrate, so less likely my blood sugar will drop again.
How about you?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jelly Babies mainly, but if it's within an hour or two of a bolus then I'll follow-up with some slow release carbs such as oat crackers.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
30 years ago like you.. Milk
N biscuit. Nowadays just 3 sugar cubes. Intolerance to
Jellybeans, Jellybabies etc. or majoriy of any sweets due to gelatine or e numbers etc

Same as noblehead for timings tho with
Follow up of something else..if had a bulus within 2 hours.

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Interesting you both use a solid sugar rather then a liquid. I find personally that liquid works faster for me and I hold it in my mouth before I swallow as your gums are the fastest absorber to get sugar in the blood stream.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi @Bingki Rose. If I'm at home when having a hypo, I eat Nutella straight from the jar with a spoon, then if I'm not due a meal, I'll have some complex carbs such as a slice of toast or a piece of fruit.

When I'm out & about, I carry jelly beans, tooty frooties & follow that up with a cereal bar, Belvitta breakfast bars or Nutrigrain bar. These are things I can keep in the glovebox, handbag & locker at work. Everyone has a favourite hypo treatment. I've heard some really weird ones too. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, lol Jelly beans seem to be quite popular! :joyful:
Some very interesting options we seem to prefer.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Normally some form of dextrose/lucozade/glucotabs other wise it's jelly sweets or lucozade drink and have way to much!!

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mmm yes I have also been like many others no doubt abit extreme at times with the amount ive consumed :rolleyes:.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
A good friend of mine who is a Type 2 eats Butterkist toffee popcorn sandwiches. He says it's a 2 in 1 treatment. :joyful::***:

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting you both use a solid sugar rather then a liquid. I find personally that liquid works faster for me and I hold it in my mouth before I swallow as your gums are the fastest absorber to get sugar in the blood stream.

I would use something like Lucozade or Coke if my bg levels were extremely low, I had cause to use a party size can of Coke last year when I felt my bg levels falling very fast, but usually I pick-up on hypo's quite early on so JB's do the business.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My preferred is milk n sugar by a long way...especially if I'm at home and I will go and mix and shake it in my tommee tippee mug.
In my car I have sugar cubes in the door and in the place under the radio. They are also in a small round tupperware container in my bag and the same by bedside cabinet.

I loved my maomi pinballs x 3 but since cutting out anything that is un natural ie preservatives, additives etc my favourites have had to go as there ingredients wven included talc in them!!

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
oh ok, I normally feel a hypo coming around 3.0. Most of my hypos happen around 3am and always wake me up.
I also about every 3 - 4 months go a week of constant hypos and have done for the past 5 years, ive tried everything and my nurse and consultant just look at me like im strange lol.
I wonder if its because im getting older and im female, unfortunately us females have many changes to deal with which has got to have some effect as Insulin is a hormone and us ladies are full of them! lol

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi @Bingki Rose. If I'm at home when having a hypo, I eat Nutella straight from the jar with a spoon, then if I'm not due a meal, I'll have some complex carbs such as a slice of toast or a piece of fruit.

When I'm out & about, I carry jelly beans, tooty frooties & follow that up with a cereal bar, Belvitta breakfast bars or Nutrigrain bar. These are things I can keep in the glovebox, handbag & locker at work. Everyone has a favourite hypo treatment. I've heard some really weird ones too. ;)
Hi Alisonjane10, is there any chance you can use black print like the rest of us, rather than the vivid blue that you use. It does my eyes in and I have to squint to read your posts. Many thanks.

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My preferred is milk n sugar by a long way...especially if I'm at home and I will go and mix and shake it in my tommee tippee mug.
In my car I have sugar cubes in the door and in the place under the radio. They are also in a small round tupperware container in my bag and the same by bedside cabinet.

I loved my maomi pinballs x 3 but since cutting out anything that is un natural ie preservatives, additives etc my favourites have had to go as there ingredients wven included talc in them!!
Talc? on my lord that's awful! Scary what they put in food and then tell us its perfectly fine!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think weather has a big impact. For years I have inxreased or decreased on every clock change.

Can also relate to having bouts of weekly hypo's but these are generally just around clock adjustments which generally align with heating going on or off Etc.

No pain has also had a big impact on my hypo's. Basal rates are hugely more with pain. My consultant remarked on thinls recently as I've dropped nigh on a 1/3rd of my basal since pain has reduced.. So also could have increased hypo's if I didn't have help initially here and also tbe awareness now of how much pain actually increases my insulin and if I'm pain free I muat lower basals to avoid the hypo's.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think weather has a big impact. For years I have inxreased or decreased on every clock change.

Can also relate to having bouts of weekly hypo's but these are generally just around clock adjustments which generally align with heating going on or off Etc.

No pain has also had a big impact on my hypo's. Basal rates are hugely more with pain. My consultant remarked on thinls recently as I've dropped nigh on a 1/3rd of my basal since pain has reduced.. So also could have increased hypo's if I didn't have help initially here and also tbe awareness now of how much pain actually increases my insulin and if I'm pain free I muat lower basals to avoid the hypo's.
Given that weight training induced inflammation massively increases insulin resistance for me, this makes a lot of sense.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Alisonjane10, is there any chance you can use black print like the rest of us, rather than the vivid blue that you use. It does my eyes in and I have to squint to read your posts. Many thanks.

Not a problem at all. Is it a diabetes related eye issue as another member once told me he experiences problems with text in bold. My apologies. X

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am just curious to how and what we all take to treat our hypos?
When I first became Type 1 Diabetic in 1993 I was told to have a glass of milk and eat 2 Digestive biscuits.

I was advised that back in 1976..
Nowa daze, it's anything carby I can get my hands on..! Though most sweets taste like "toilet block" to me!

If gigging though. It needs to be drinkable..

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Pure natural honey, Lucozade drink and tablets. A good cup of hot sweet tea and some digestives usually do the trick ! :)

Reactions: 6 people