Type 2 What over the counter foods can we eat ?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Husband is gluten-free and eats a moderate carb diet e.g. he has a gluten-free filled roll or fruit for lunch and eats gluten-free cornflakes or porridge for breakfast at weekends. He found that 9 bars got to tasting too sweet and said that they were pretty high calorie and he would rather eat real food for calories.

My experience with vegetables is yes, a vegetarian meal can be filling and really tasty. We're not vegetarians but get through at least one big salad drawer of veggies a week.

I was a vegetarian for 14 years and I remember that Rose Elliot did a low carb vegetarian cook book but it had lots of processed things which I don't want to eat.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I'd forgotten that I'd found a pot of chicken and vegetable broth from Sainsburys. 10.8 grams carbs per half pot (300g.)

I think Yorkshire Provender do a couple of soups which aren't too bad on the carbs.

Aldi's Sri Lankan chicken soup isn't bad on carbs either and tastes decious.

I do like making homemade soups but sometimes I can't be bothered and also it's not to have a bit more variety. I find when I make soup I have enough to last all week and start to get a bit bored with it!
I always make than I need and freeze the rest in portions

Polarice

Thanks for all your replies. Sadly for me, I cannot make use of many of your suggestions as I have numerous food intollerances; I get migraines if I eat chocolate, cheese, drink coffee or alcohol, my stomach cannot tolerate curry, peppers, celery, rhubarb or anything hot and spicy, I just eat very plain, boring 'English' food.
One thing that I find odd, is that even with all the publicity of the ever rising levels of Type 2 diabetes, not one major food manufacturer, (or minor one come to that), has brought out a range of food for for T2 sufferers. Given how many there are of us, there is a major market just waiting for someone to fill. There are many gluten free foods, but nothing though for diabetics. Perhaps Diabetes UK could approach them on behalf of all of us and get them on the case ? Just a thought !

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food manufacturers making free from products, generally seem to want to hit as many subgroups as poss, so the bars are often nut free, dairy free, gluten-free, vegan and organic. That may mean that they are higher carb and therefore not suitable.

Fat can go rancid and high fibre adds to the product's weight, which matters when transporting lorry loads of the stuff.

Atkins bars may be low carb but the ingredient list doesn't strike me as healthy. The Atkins Endulge 30g milk chocolate bar has sweetener as its first ingredient and has 14g carbs - the same as a 100g bar of Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa dark chocolate. The Atkins bar costs£1.55 whereas you can often find the 90% on offer, 2 bars for £3.

www.vegancross.com in London sells a variety of vegan products which are chocolate free.

Reactions: 2 people