Test strip costs comparison

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am curious about how much different test strips cost. In NZ there are 3 brands available on prescription and probably others available privately.

The cost (to the govt) for 50 test strips are as follows. These prices might be lower than the retail price because of bulk wholesale buying:

Accucheck performa (restricted to certain patients)
NZD 28.75
GBP* 12.25

Freestyle optium (restricted to certain patients)
NZD 28.75
GBP 12.25

Caresens
NZD 10.56
GBP 4.50

(Based on today's exchange rate of NZD 1 = GBP 0.43 (come here for a holiday :) ))

By comparison, the SD Codefree at http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm for 50 strips costs (without discount):
GBP 6.99
NZD 16.41

I would like to know what other test strips cost in the UK and how they compare to these prices (just out of interest). I'm trying to get an idea of what it would cost someone to do home BG testing, to help me understand why some people are reluctant to do it. I'm also wondering what it would cost per patient for the government to provide test strips, to compare that to the cost of poorly controlled T2 diabetes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am curious about how much different test strips cost. In NZ there are 3 brands available on prescription and probably others available privately.

The cost (to the govt) for 50 test strips are as follows. These prices might be lower than the retail price because of bulk wholesale buying:

NZD 28.75
GBP* 12.25

NZD 28.75
GBP 12.25

Caresens
NZD 10.56
GBP 4.50

(Based on today's exchange rate of NZD 1 = GBP 0.43 (come here for a holiday :) ))

By comparison, the SD Codefree at http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm for 50 strips costs (without discount):
GBP 6.99
NZD 16.41

I would like to know what other test strips cost in the UK and how they compare to these prices (just out of interest). I'm trying to get an idea of what it would cost someone to do home BG testing, to help me understand why some people are reluctant to do it. I'm also wondering what it would cost per patient for the government to provide test strips, to compare that to the cost of poorly controlled T2 diabetes.

I'm dashing around this morning, but Dr Google would happily provide you all that information, I'm sure.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm dashing around this morning, but Dr Google would happily provide you all that information, I'm sure.
I'm hoping to get input from people living in the UK and familiar with meters used there. I want ideas on how we would calculate this and what level of testing makes sense to others.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

These are the Amazon UK prices....................

NZD 28.75
GBP* 12.25 (Amazon UK Qty 100 £32:80 + £2.99 delivery)

NZD 28.75
GBP 12.25 (Amazon UK Qty 50 £19.37 free delivery)

Caresens (N)
NZD 10.56
GBP 4.50 (Amazon UK Qty 50 £15.30 + £3.99 delivery)

SD Codefree
GBP 6.99 (Amazon UK Qty 50 £7.99 free delivery)
NZD 16.41

You might find better prices on e-bay, and I think some forum members know how to bulk buy SD codefree more cheaply.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do buy some Accu Check strips from Amazon, a box of 50 has cost me between 21.99 and 23.99 with free next day delivery. My local ASDA (Wal-Mart) has 10 strips for £5 on offer at the moment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Codefree, with the discount (available to anyone who has the code, and we all have this code on here) from the UK supplier, Home Health.

£5.20 for 50 strips, free delivery. This is much cheaper than the cost of NHS prescriptions for those that have to pay for prescriptions.

Edit. I should add you have to buy at least 250 strips to qualify for the discount

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have can Accu-chek nano and usually pay between £40.00 & £50.00 for 200 on e-bay which, on average, works out at approx £12.50 for 50.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Codefree, with the discount (available to anyone who has the code, and we all have this code on here) from the UK supplier, Home Health.

£5.20 for 50 strips, free delivery. This is much cheaper than the cost of NHS prescriptions for those that have to pay for prescriptions.

Edit. I should add you have to buy at least 250 strips to qualify for the discount

Has anyone noticed that the prices don't add up when buying strips?
50 = £6.49
250 = £34.95 (5 x £6.4.9 = £32 45)
500 = £69 90 (10 x £6.49 = £64 90)

Where does it say you have to buy 250 to qualify for discount? I have been given codes for each quantity, but couldn't see where to use them.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@learning2me
After you click on the drop down box stating your a diabetic.
click buy on the 5 pack or 10 pack, go to check out on the left hand side under order summary is a box for promotional codes.

Are you in the UK?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@CatLadyNZ I'm actually going to have another go at getting a prescription for test strips from my Dr as I read in a diabetes magazine that your not actually meant to drive if you BS is under 5 which mine quite often is nowadays. I know you are pretty on to it in regard to what we are entitled to ect so do you have any useful links that I could print out to take along to support my argument.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@CatLadyNZ I'm actually going to have another go at getting a prescription for test strips from my Dr as I read in a diabetes magazine that your not actually meant to drive if you BS is under 5 which mine quite often is nowadays. I know you are pretty on to it in regard to what we are entitled to ect so do you have any useful links that I could print out to take along to support my argument.
Good idea 4ratbags. Here is the Pharmac Schedule page saying 50 test strips per prescription are funded:
http://www.pharmac.govt.nz/Schedule?osq=Blood glucose diagnostic test strip&code=C0115073802

Here is some info about driving:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lic...ce/medical-requirements/diabetes-and-driving/

The same info is repeated at the Diabetes NZ website.

Good luck!

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just changed over to an Accu-chek Mobile, for a two Cassette box = 100 tests just purchased for £24.00. Really loving the convenience of this meter.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you go and see the GP, they have the cost per unit on the prescribing computer system.

When I did this exercise with the GP, the big brands were all about £17 per 50 to the NHS.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get free prescriptions due to being on Thyroid medication so save about £104.00 per year. I'm lucky in that I can afford to buy test strips and, as I become more aware of what I can and cannot eat my testing regime has gone down to approx 2-3 times daily. However I can't help thinking that by spending £17.00 on test strips the NHS would save in the long run as a well controlled diabetic will have less need of drugs and treatment for complications which will cost considerably more and will be long term.

oliveview

Where do I find the Codefree code? I am down to my last box.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes