Can menstruation cause BG to raise ??

Sukaren

Could someone answer a question for me please. Can menstruation cause your BG to raise ?? I have just noticed this happen......??

Thank you :?

WhimsicalWays

Hi,

Similarly, I definitely experience a rise in bg levels due to my cycle - in particular, my sugars go up pretty noticeably before my menstrual cycle. I always wondered if it was connected, but asked my endocrinologist and she confirmed that this is the case for some women.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
In the pre-menstual phase, progesterone levels rise and that can cause it.

Sukaren

I want to say thank you to all that have posted a reply to my question....your input has been most helpful! and has cleared up a real dilema for me. :roll:

Spiral

My readings start to go high a few days before my period starts and then does not go down until a couple of days afterwards - about a week of higher than expected readings :?

I would be very interested in discussing how to manage these readings. Do we just "go with the flow", so to speak, or try to manage them and keep them lower?

I often feel a biy hypo-y during this time and tested promptly on my last cycle and found some quite low readings as well as the ones which were higher than expected. This was not what happened on my last cycle, when it was usualy higher than expected :?:

Vikingepigen

Just wanted to share this, BUT I do not know if it for real or a simple coincidence.....

My Bg level also go up with as much as two full points during my periods, again about 7-10 days each month which is very frustratating, but I found by monitoring it that I could work with the raised levels so that the rest of the month was not affected.

In connection with my recent Hba1c my doctor also wanted me to lower my Cholsterol level (my lipds, actually) and I read up a bit and found that eating a portion of Almonds each day should have an impact, so I thought I would go and try it. Stocked up on almonds and dutifully eating 50-70g each day (such a chore!! :lol: ) and have done so for about two weeks now. I have just started my period and my Bg levels are not affected one little bit!! No higher Bg levels a few days before and no raise during - al seems to "work" perfectly normal. Also, I usually suffer a lot of water-retention and feel bloated during my period, but not anywhere near as much this time around.

I cannot help but wonder if there is a connection or if it is all pure coincidence - with recently adding fish regularly to my diet as well. But it just seems too much of a coincidence or is it just my imagination?? Tried to search on a connection, but not really found anything. Perhaps some of our more experienced researchers may be able to enlighten us "girls"!?? 8)

Alice

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Alice,
Never been an almond fan, but might give it a go! Someone offered me some yesterday and I opted for the cashews,big mistake obviously-premestrual, in pain, bloated and my BG went crazy today as usual! I often find my BGs higher about 5 days before I'm due on, and about a day or 2 before it starts goes lower than normal. It's predictable so I've got used to it, but I might try the almonds next month!
Thanks for that
Jus :D

Spiral

Janabelle, my cycle seems very similar to yours in that the higher levels seem to start about 5 days before the period.

I think I will increase my almond consumption.

I am also thinking of reduceing my carb intake overall in the days before my period starts...

Vikingepigen

sugarless sue said:
Found this ,Alice ,which certainly lists almonds for all the things you described.

http://www.spiceworld.uk.com/menstrual.php

Thank you Sue!! It is about Oils, BUT almond oil does seem to feature in most of the "treatments" so perhaps eating Almonds does have an impact - certainly cannot do a great deal of harm, unless Almonds does not agree with you, for one reason or another.

I shall continue to eat my daily allowance of Almonds and see what happens ........ both with the period (for the next couple of months) and my lipids. A living experiment of one!! hhehehe

Shall be interesting to see/hear if any of the other girls notice any difference next month!! :p

Alice

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having seen this thread, 70g of almonds seemed an awful lot (is it safe to eat that many long-term?) but I thought it worth a try.

About 2.5 weeks ago I added some flaked almonds on my breakfast cereal, some whole with lunch when I remember, and added some almonds to the brazils and walnuts I already eat each evening.

I started the almonds in the 1st week of the month. Usually by the 2nd week I'd be increasing my bfast bolus ratio and overnight basal. So far (halfway through 3rd week) overnight basal has stayed the same and I've only just had to start increasing bfast bolus. It may be a coincidence but I didn't expect results so fast, definitely worth continuing. Will be really impressed if it improves regularity/period pains too!

Thanks for this Alice.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ladies
I am now in my 60s and sailed through the menopause without a single symptom. I ate a varied diet always
However, I followed that link one of you gave and would like to warn you all to be careful with essential oils. Don't apply them without diluting in an innocuous carrier oil. they are VERY active substances and can cause nasty symptoms.
Hana