Newly Diagnosed Type 2

Dave14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed recently with Type 2 Diabetes and I have noted the low carb recommendations on this site. I had been using the MyFitnessPal app for about 3 months to lose some weight, before I was diagnosed. In that time I had lost just over a stone. Great!

Within the app, nutritional values are given and I have found these most useful in finding low calorie/carb/sugar etc foods for my Type 2.

I would like to continue with MyFitnessPal, so can anyone give me an approximate, recommended daily intake (grams or milligrams) for each of the following, please:

Calories
Fat
Carbs
Sugar
Salt
Protein
Cholesterol

I am 70 years old and unable to do much walking and my recommended calorie level is 1600 per day. I have found this to be sufficient and quite easily achievable. I have attended a local "Type 2 Get Together" clinic which was quite helpful, but no figures were mentioned.

I should be most grateful for any guidance received.

Dave14

Reactions: 2 people

Dave14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks paruri. This will take a while to get my head around! All help most welcome:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dave14, the figures for daily intake are specific to you and your requirements - your height, weight etc. The only one that we can suggest is the levels of carbs we choose to eat, though low carb diets have fairly wide range from around 100 grams a day for a moderate low carb diet, down to 25-30 grams and below (e.g. as low as 10g a day) for a very low ketogenic diet. You can choose a realistic and sustainable figure and the calculators will recommend calories, protein, and fats suitable your your height, weight, age and activity levels. Depending on how many carbs you are already eating, you might like to start at say around 100g and work you way down to approx 50grams a day - see how you go! This way you'll hopefully avoid any side effects due do your body having withdrawal symptoms (aka low carb flu :eek:).

I don't use MyFitnessPal but someone has written an add-on app for ketogenic diets, Google should find this for you.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Dave14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Robbity. I am currently on an average of about 110 grams of carbs per day and 1600 calories. I don't self test every day as I am waiting for my first HbA1c, however my latest GS reading was 6.5. My initial target weight is 13 stone, and I have about 12lb to go.

Dave