HypoBand - would you like to take part in a 2 week hypo alert wristwatch trial?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We are working with Hypoband and they'd like 20 people to trial their Hypoband, which is a device to help prevent hypoglycemia. The trial will last for 2 weeks and we're keen to see what the community think of the device.

"Hypoband measures the skin’s humidity and temperature levels and displays the readings on the screen of the smartphone. It measures the skin’s humidity. The Hypoband is paired to a smartphone (Android or iOS) and triggers it upon the onset of a cold sweat to make phone calls, SMS or simply to alert you. Hypoband is patent pending and a CE MDD 93/42 EEC Class 1 product, The Hypoband bluetooth interfaces with a smartphone that has a preloaded Hypoband Android/iOS App. It triggers for help via a phone call or short message service (SMS) when the threshold limits of a “cold sweat” are met or when the panic button is activated. It also has a standalone alarm mode."​

There is a full manual that can be downloaded from their website http://www.hypoband.co.uk/cold-sweat-alarm/functions and you can watch videos giving instructions on the setup and usage:

If you'd like to take part, please email [email protected] please with your name and address. We will then send a consent form from Hypoband - once signed, Hypoband will send a product out to you. The Hypoband team will also be on standby to assist with any questions and can be reached by phone and email.

Reactions: 13 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm giving this a go... Should be interesting. What I'm intrigued at is the point at which my BG levels will cause it to pick up symptoms and alert...

Looking at the Shop though, shouldn't these be VAT exempt for Diabetics? There doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I would like to try it as my hypo awareness is bad at presant, e-mail sent

Dec_O

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
e-mail sent so fingers crossed! sounds like a great idea

solitaire65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
abusive relationships
please I am at withs end. I cant sleep at night, im disabled with uncontrollable diabeted for 47 yrs. I am having unaware hypos and then up over 33s. but mainly at night and not aware. my husband has ha to giuve up work to look after me. now my kidneys are very bad and waiting the outcome of some test as I may have to have dialysis, and they want me to have a pancreas transplant. please bare me in mind to give me a relief at night that I can sleep. thankyou Sharon Nicholson

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Email sent love to give it ago with starting creon and levels al over the place at min

Mollymoo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is a really good idea, I struggle with a lot of hypos during the night and only get alerted to it with my symptoms when my sugars are really low, email sent.

LouD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
judgemental people towards diabetes
I would like to have a go, would be interesting, to actually collate data x

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would love to give this a trial, hopefully I'm not to late

Louise I

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My son would love to try this. He's fourteen and has no hypo awareness at night.

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
I have sent my request in, sounds like a great idea

Popster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great idea, but what if you don't have an iPhone or Android phone? There has been a similar device on the market for several years and I use it with success. It can be seen here http://www.easylinkuk.co.uk/page31.html. By all means apply for the trial but if you don't get on it there is an alternative.

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those who have lost their hypo awareness it won't work, will it? If, as it states, it measures body temperature and humidity i.e. cold sweats and you no longer get these as a warning of an impending hypo then surely the band won't work. I don't get cold sweats anymore for hypos :( .