FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm guessing the transmitters will be no cheaper despite lifetime dropping from 10-15 months to 4 months.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure about the price but it's not quite as bad as you say. You get 2 transmitters in a box, each lasting 90 days + 18 days grace which totals 216 days, about 7 months.

Eglinton71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone please expain the Sensor Data Captured figure that the Libre reader gives. Mine currently shows 69%. I am scanning regularly so why the missing data?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure about the price but it's not quite as bad as you say. You get 2 transmitters in a box, each lasting 90 days + 18 days grace which totals 216 days, about 7 months.
That's worse than I thought, 3.5 months per transmitter. But I suppose it depends on totally on what they are going to charge for the box of two.

This reinforces the fact that what we need most is not any particular product but more competition and more users to bring down prices.

finney

Back to an old topic. I have found that if I ever need a 'plaster' to anchor the sensor down, Tesco Aquasafe Plasters do the trick. Similar to aTexaderm, etc but with a nice non sticky pad to centre over the sensor. works for me. I have been know to cut in half lengthways to allow more air around.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How many of us people who started with the libre when it first came out are still using it? I gave up after 5 sensors but must admit I miss having the overnight graphs.

Has the NHS approved of the system yet? Or the DVLA?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many of us people who started with the libre when it first came out are still using it? I gave up after 5 sensors but must admit I miss having the overnight graphs.

Has the NHS approved of the system yet? Or the DVLA?
I'm still using it - can't believe it's been almost a year. Would hate to go back to finger pricks.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still using it - can't believe it's been almost a year. Would hate to go back to finger pricks.
Yep, nearly a year since it first appeared. Not many still using it then - or have people simple posted here for a few weeks when they start and then drifted away after 4 or 5 sensors. Hah, must admit the novelty of the Libre wore off for me the month I had to decide between more sensors and the mortgage.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm still using it - it's simply that once you've experienced the full repertoire of idiosyncrasies, there is much less to post about!

Reactions: 4 people

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still using after 3 months. Still love it. Despite any drawbacks mentioned here (and to be fair I haven't really been impacted by any of them) I find I can't live without it and the impact it has had on my life, lifestyle and control has been incredible. It's expensive but really not that bad given what it offers. A few drinks and maybe a meal out less a month and you've broken even. Couldn't recommend it more. It's also only going to get better with future revisions and the introduction of phone app.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be fair, I've probably only paid for 5 months worth of sensors in ten months due to various issues. At £50 per month it is a lot more affordable.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm still using it - it's simply that once you've experienced the full repertoire of idiosyncrasies, there is much less to post about!
I thought you had given it up in frustration and gone over to Dexcom G4 on xDrip?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I thought you had given it up in frustration and gone over to Dexcom G4 on xDrip?
I had a bunch of sensors left and am building the pieces for the low cost xDrip. Still, even with that, the sensor cost is hopefully around £50 per month.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a bunch of sensors left and am building the pieces for the low cost xDrip. Still, even with that, the sensor cost is hopefully around £50 per month.

I've not heard of this xDrip, just looking it up now - do you have any interesting links for it?

I need a cgm for overnight. As I drive a lot I finger prick regularly anyway. As an aside, when my licence came up for its 3 year renewal it took them 4 months to get it through.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi igmr
xDrip is an open source project which allows you to send Dexcom data to your Android phone & from there up into the cloud so that a web page of live readings can be viewed from any browser.
https://github.com/StephenBlackWasAlreadyTaken/xDrip

This page gives you a good introduction to xDrip with other pages describing how to build the box:
http://circles-of-blue.winchcombe.o...-guide-to-building-a-dexdrip-wearenotwaiting/

Thanks, fascinating. I got really excited when I saw the pic with a Contour with an android phone but soon realised this was all beyond my comprehension / budget so didn't look too deeply.

Libre with a Bluetooth link to an Android or Linux app would certainly bring me back into using it.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if I'll order another for a while, the very first one I had was great but that last 3 have all wanted to fall off within the first 5 or so days. Having tape all over a little sensor in your arm isn't the best look or that convenient :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if I'll order another for a while, the very first one I had was great but that last 3 have all wanted to fall off within the first 5 or so days. Having tape all over a little sensor in your arm isn't the best look or that convenient :(

All of mine have stuck fast for their duration, although the last one didn't feel like it wanted to tear the skin off when I removed it. I have had a number of erratic sensors, but to be fair, once explained, Abbott have been content to replace those.

"My DPD driver", as the delivery tracking refers to him, Gareth, has become a regular caller to Planet Breathe.

Has anyone else had a significant percentage of their sensors behave extremely erratically?