I need some advice, travelling

sandymaynard

Hi everybody,
Okay at 8am this morning, I recived a phone call from the hospital to say that my mums partner haley has had a heart attack!
My mum is in the critial care ward!
I know this sounds weird, I have to prepare to travel to sheffield, I am going up on sunday or monday,
Here are my questions,
i can't have bread as one slice i can spike up to 25,
So what do i take to travel? what are the best nuts to eat as i don't eat cashews at minute as they cause a spike in me!
I have prepared a small bag, with the following, meter,test sticks,lancets, Glucose tabs, my warfarin, headache pills,inhaler, anti histamines, anti botics etc!
The food is going to be the problem as i have to prepare that first just wondering what i should be looking at!
Have not had good night been awake for best part of it! Worried badly about how i will cope when i see the both of them in hospital! I love them both dearly! Haleyt has taken on so much with all the plans that my mum wanted and it is has taken a toll on her! haley is a mum,dad and my best friend when i was growing up rolled into one! she was the stable one!
The one with the laughter always up for a april fools joke! Bless her, losing one is bad enough i can't lose both!
My tooth is really bad at minute and this is not helping i have tried my hardest to look at the bright side! The worst thing is when i asked the nurse how haley is, she said that did i know that haley was level 4 kidney failure! No i didnot she never said anything!
She has always been the strong one and been there for everyone and made fun of things!
I don't want either of them to pass away without me being there! I want to make sure that I am there for them no matter what happens! I want to be able to tell them that i love them both!
It is something I never thought of, That my mums partner haley would be unwell! Apparently she has been unwell for years! That is not good! I am whittering on now!
Sandy

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
What do you usually eat for breakfast assuming you are travelling in the morning? you get can assorted nuts in a tub from supermarkets but some are sugar coated so avoid those obviously! maybe you could avoid travelling over a meal time if possible and when you get to sheffield you have more options for something to eat when you get there? seems like you've thought of everything you need to take like your tablets and meter. i hope you manage to get down there! x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
awww sandy,
you really are going through it arent u, i hope both get well soon, you need to keep looking after yourself as you cant afford to be ill too, im allergic to nuts but ive heard macadena nuts mentioned so many times on here for being extremely good so try those,
keep remembering that we all care and are here with hugs for you, i genuinely hope it all goes well xx

sandymaynard

Hi Totsy,
i am feeling sick and confused from it all! It hurts so much! Post man knocked on the door!
There was a parcel, My mum had sent a birthday present and card for me! I opened it up! There was two scarfs a lovely pink one! I am not into many colours, but i love pink scarf! As that was the first scarf my mum bought for me when i was 5 years old a pink one!
A radio with large dial so i can see it. A breakfast coffee box, with beautiful mug hand painted, and proper coffee!
I must admit i have broken down in tears! It has upset me as much pain as both of them are in they put me first!
I have asked the hospital to keep me informed! If the worst happens I want to be there with them! So i can hold their hand and give them one last kiss and tell them how much i love them!
I have done it again I am crying, Oh what is wrong with me...
How are you doing Totsy? how is your ankle now? Hope youa re not in so much pain!
Sandy

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
sandymaynard said:
So what do i take to travel? what are the best nuts to eat as i don't eat cashews at minute as they cause a spike in me!
The food is going to be the problem as i have to prepare that first just wondering what i should be looking at!
Hi Sandy,

I'm so sorry to hear your news and I hope that they both recover and are with you for many more years yet.

For a snack to travel with you could get a bag of mixed nuts from any supermarket, but not ones with peanuts and cashews. I have found that usually the bags of mixed nuts that you get in the baking section are good because they don't contain peanuts or cashews. Alternatively you could try one of the low-carb snack bars - there's an Atkins one that I believe is stocked by Boots.

You are going to be under a great deal of stress over the next week or so, and that alone can play havoc with blood sugars, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if yours go up quite a bit - that is simply your body's natural response to stress, and it shouldn't do you any lasting damage if levels are higher than usual for a week or two.

I hope all works out well and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you - which might make typing a bit difficult!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
aww sandy, its natural to be upset so dont get cross with yourself over it,
im not too bad,the pains eased a little but my dizziness is bad so cant use crutches at all so im crawling around lol, let me know how things go hun x

sandymaynard

Hi everybody!
Just recived a phone call from the hospital, My mums partner ahley has said that if her heart stops that they are not to re start it they have to allow her to die!
Oh i am sat here in tears, as haley has always been the strong one!
To lose one is bad enough but both that would be too much!
The tooth seems not to be hurting too much! well maybe the stress has over ridden that!
The worse thing is to lose one is bad enough but both is way too much!
I have eaten today, i had scrambled egg with a little bit of cheese, For lunch!
for evening meal, having a nice ham and cheese salad! Yum..
I know that i don't feel much like eating but i know i have to eat and keep going!
The hospital says that My mum is stable, and mums partner is stable! I just hope that they both hang on for me! I need to be able to be there for them! I have never really cried not even when my grandparents died! I ahve always wanted people to see that i am a strong person!
MUst admit i have been crying alot these past two day's!
Sandy

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sandy

Am so sorry that your mum and partner are both poorly. You must be gentle & kind to yourself at this time and crying is not a weakness it is actually a strength because you are feeling the pain and expressing it.

It is 29 years today since we buried my dad - he was 52 & I was 27 - so this time in May is always fragile for my sisters and I even after all this time. I do feel for you greatly and assure you that I will be thinking of you and wishing you well.

As I think Dennis said, dont stress over your diet at this time just make sure you do eat else that could give you more problems!!

Speak soon. Jude x

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sandy - we are both on line - are we able to communicate one to one?? Jude x

sandymaynard

Hi everybody,
Just to let you know, That my fiancee is taking me up to sheffield tomorrow morning! We will find out how bad they are! As he says lets find out now and get this sorted now!
I feel sick with worry to be honest!
Sandy

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
good luck sandy,hope it goes well hun :)

sandymaynard

Hi everybody,
Off to have breakfast, 11am going to hospital to visit mum!
i have my fingers crossed wont be as bad as i thought it is!
Sandy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Sandy.
Best wishes and my thoughts are with you.
Ken.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya sandy,
hope it all goes ok, i will be thinking of u all :D

tara112

Dislikes
people cruel to animals, bad manners, sugar,
im going to greece on the 6 september im flying at 6am wat kind of food is best to take with me and im frighten that while im on holiday i will take hypos whats best to carry with me[/color]